IGNORED

Mountain Biking Movie & Raffle to Benefit ARR 6/27/19

Bicycle Sport Shop is sponsoring a mountain biking movie the evening of Thursday 6/27/19. There will be a raffle of mtb gear to benefit the Austin Ridge Riders. This is a great way to see a cool movie and support local trails!

More info and tickets at - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/shimano-presents-return-to-earth-by-anthill-films-austin-tickets-62246140883

• Like 1

This event was a BIG success. Thanks to everyone who attended.

The movie was very much like Warren Miller ski movie but about mountain biking. Really cool when it rains too much to ride trails.

ARR raised about $700 which will go to trail development. Some of the big items that were raffled off were 2 Lazer helmets, 2 printed on metal still pictures from the movie (waaaayyy cool to see) and a Shimano XTR 12 speed group set. I wanted to enter the raffle instead of running the raffle.

A special thanks for Bicycle Sport Shop, Shimano and Vallarie & Ken Sinclair for making this possible.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 4fun said:

It was awesome to get to see a mountain bike movie on the big screen! 

Wasn't it amazing? However,  now I feel my riding style is slow & uninspired, so  but I'm going to try to add in some rhythm into my laps at WC.  I noticed that the riders were always pumping for speed on single track. 

The 10-year-old grommets at Whistler were beyond astounding.  

I had to find Big Water on google maps.  It's in southern Utah, on Hwy. 89, just north of the Arizona border and not too far from Page and Lake Powell.  This was the downhill footage on dark gray slopes that included insane tricks on giant boulders and slabs of rocks. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rockshins said:

That was really cool! Some amazing riding and locations! Also makes me realize I have no style.  Brett Rheeder is on another level! Someone got a sweet XTR drivetrain!

Thanks - I already knew I was slow. But now I know I have no style while I'm slow. 😞

I wanted to enter this raffle instead of working it.  There was some really really cool stuff. Maybe if I wait 10 years I will be able to afford a 12 speed XTR group. But probably not.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Thanks - I already knew I was slow. But now I know I have no style while I'm slow. 😞

I wanted to enter this raffle instead of working it.  There was some really really cool stuff. Maybe if I wait 10 years I will be able to afford a 12 speed XTR group. But probably not.

I figure I saved money by not winning that groupset!  Premium group set leads to premium wheel set (say I-9 Hydra), and you can't put that set of goods on any old frame, so a chumba titanium frame is in order! You have gone this far so Chris king headset, high grade stem and bars, ergon grips! Now I figure I saved 7-10 grand by just winning my sweet Return to Earth backpack!! I almost feel sorry for the kid that won, he might have to give up a year of college.

Edited by 4fun
  • Like 5

That was my 15 yo son that won 3 prizes - including the XTR group - with just 5 tix!  He's pretty thrilled but doesn't really mtb (these days only on vacation), though rides the dickens out of my wife's old road bike that I converted to commuter but can't use anymore...

Yeah, it's a real quandary about what to do.  My bike's all SRAM, except for pedals, and will not be replaced anytime soon! Brakes are about the only thing I 'need'. Will probably piece it out since he's most interested in the $s!

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

Wait, your bike has SRAM garbage and you're not upgrading to Shimano?

Can't let go of all my excuses.  Actually I have no complaints with my GX 1x11.  But the Level TL brakes... though they did the job, even after having both levers warranteed for sticking, they were a mistake from the get-go, especially bc they're 2-piston.  I used to prefer SRAM's modulation to older Shimanos, but that fine line between stopping and not is just stupid.

From what I can tell, 

They interface with the freehub body via MICRO SPLINE and feature the HYPERGLIDE+ technology introduced on the latest XTR groupset, for fast and quiet shifting. The XT cassettes consist of ten steel sprockets and two aluminium sprockets attached to an aluminium spider.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/shimano-xt-m8100-slx-m7100-12-speed-drivetrain/