IGNORED

Question for the ladies?

I'm looking for a better more comfy bike saddle for wife. I reluctantly bought her the big ole wide jel-filled saddle she wanted knowing that wasn't the right answer. We went out Saturday for a 6+ mile ride on an easy trail with lots of breaks. She had a good time but the next day realized the squishy seat, well, left a lot to be desired.

What do you ladies recommend?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not a lady..but I got my wife a Specialized BG Mimic and she loves it.  She should go to the LBS and try different ones.  Go to a shop (if there is one around these days that loans out saddles) and try different saddles for extended rides.  At the very least get the sit bone measurement.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1

I'm not a lady, but my comment is pretty much universal.  If you've not been riding much (at all?), then there really won't be a saddle thats truly without discomfort.  Now I ride a traditional WTB saddle and I can do multiple 6hr rides a a few days in a row without real issues.  Thus I know my saddle works well for me.  However, if I take 6 months (or more) off of riding, when I come back a simple 2hr ride will leave me in some form a discomfort.  We are simply sitting on sensitive parts of the human anatomy.

All that being said, I'm sure that there are some specifics to the female makeup that some of the female rides here can help WRT saddle fit.  But IMHO there's just no way to get around *some* discomfort until she gets toughened up.  🙂

Oh, all that AND MAKE SURE SHE HAS A QUALITY PAIR OF RIDING SHORTS.  That actually can make a noticeable and immediate difference.

Later, -CJB

• Like 1

Two issues to address: pressure on sit bones and um, lady bits.  Right now I have an SQ Labs seat on the mountain bike, a Specialized Lithia on the commuter bike and a Terry something on the road bike.  All have a central relief channel.  They are all OK and comfy for about an hour before the sit bones really start to hurt. 

My last tour two summers ago I used the original saddle from my 12-year-old Specialized Dolce road bike.  It's old fashioned thick foam covered with leather and has a center cut out and is the only saddle I have that really addresses the issue of pressure on the sit bones; sadly, it's no longer made and mine is wearing out.  Specialized does have a more current iteration of this saddle and I'm going to try it out as well as a few other Specialized saddles with more foam padding; gel doesn't seem to work.  Due to age and scoliosis/neck arthritis, I'm using a more upright position when riding, which naturally puts more pressure on the sit bones, along with declining bum padding, so there's that.  

Some women love the Specialized Lithia, others swear by Terry or WTB Diva or other WTB.  My last bike fit awhile back, the strong recommendation was the Selle Italia Lady Diva Gel Flow (pricey!).  That was an awesome saddle for quite a few years, and then suddenly it just wasn't working, but many women adore this saddle.  A few women like a Brooks saddle but  honestly, just looking at a Brooks saddle makes me want to sit on a block of ice. 

Also, keep in mind that the lumbar curve/tilt of the pelvis can influence the type of saddle that feels comfortable.  I have a fairly pronounced lumbar curve and the recommendation for that is a flat saddle surface, which I do prefer.  Mr. JB has almost zero lumbar curve and he likes a rounded saddle.  

Yes to getting the butt-o-meter measurement.  And CB, although I admire your advice and recommendations on many things, I don't think it's wise advice for women to put up with discomfort until they get "toughened up."   

I went to a talk by Alexandera Houchin about 10 days ago.  She's currently 1500 miles into the Tour Divide and specializes in endurance/distance racing.  She noted that one of the main reasons that people drop out of the Tour Divide is saddle discomfort (agony)/saddle sores.  I think she had a Terry saddle which she said she loves and stays comfy for those 16- to 20-hour-days in the saddle. 

It drives me crazy that finding the right saddle is so hard, but it really is something that everyone just has to work through. 

Ozone (RIP) would get demo saddles when they received a shipment of WTB saddles.  I don't know who carries WTB saddles these days or if that's still a possibility.  I'm going to call BSS tomorrow to see what their return policy is with Specialized saddles; I don't think they have a demo program.  

• Like 1

I suggest considering Ergon's saddles. The same folks who revolutionized grips that don't pinch nerves have now addressed saddle comfort. The Men's saddle I bought is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden.

"SM Women MTB Series

MTB saddles for women – completely rethought. The anatomical characteristics of the female pelvis were analysed in the course of long-term studies, and the results led to a new saddle design."

Start here: http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/saddle-selector.html

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

And CB, although I admire your advice and recommendations on many things, I don't think it's wise advice for women to put up with discomfort until they get "toughened up."   

I get it, I almost hesitated in saying anything at all.  But I'm speaking from a "base" level of riding and didn't want the OP to think that there was a magic saddle combo out there that will make his wife "comfortable" while she starts out riding.  Better?...yes of course.  But it takes time to begin to get "use to" sitting on a saddle for a given length of time.  Overall my suggestion is to have a quality pair of bike shorts, and then to listen to as much feedback from the ladies as she can get.

Cheers, -CJB

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great input everyone. Our next step will be getting some quality women's cycling shorts and getting the sit bone seat measurement thingy done.
Cody,I understood where you were coming from, it's a very delicate situation trying to encourage your wife to start exercising. With any new activity a person will have aches and pains at first. Deciphering weather it's a newby issue or equipment issue is the key.

• Like 1

For some people saddle choice can be a very difficult and long process. It was for me, I've tried dozens of saddles over many years of riding road and mountain. Much of the hype about saddles is just that, hype. Another thing I don't adhere to is road/ mountain specific, let's be real a saddle is just a saddle (aside from being completly carbon). I eventually ended up riding a saddle that I thought would never be for me, only about 7mm of padding but it had a carbon shell that flexed giving support and comfort at the same time. Fizik stopped making that particular saddle, so back to trying to find a saddle that would work. I went with what was the new version of that saddle but only wider and it has been a fantastic saddle better than the first I had, best I've ever ridden. I can be off the bike for a month and get back on with no discomfort. Just some suggestions, avoid thick heavily padded or gel saddles they cause too much soft tissue compression. When it comes to choosing width be aware that just because a saddle says it's 142mm wide that doesn't mean that your sit bones will be supported at the widest point, different shapes such as domed will give you a narrower support patch than the actual width. Here's something to consider and I only put this out there because it worked for me, not plugging a brand but maybe try Fiziks "Spine Concept" it helps you choose a saddle based on your flexibility. Another thing is once you've found the right saddle put one on all of your bikes and consider buying a back up or two just in case they discontinue that model. Good luck and I hope you get the saddle game sorted out.

PS, you also may want to consider a Brooks Cambium I have one on my single speed road bike and it's very comfortable only downside is it's a tank as far as weight.

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/spine-concept-evo/

Edited by Chief

11 hours ago, CBaron said:

I get it, I almost hesitated in saying anything at all.  But I'm speaking from a "base" level of riding and didn't want the OP to think that there was a magic saddle combo out there that will make his wife "comfortable" while she starts out riding.  Better?...yes of course.  But it takes time to begin to get "use to" sitting on a saddle for a given length of time.  Overall my suggestion is to have a quality pair of bike shorts, and then to listen to as much feedback from the ladies as she can get.

Cheers, -CJB

I got what you were saying Cody.  I do some long rides and long races, but when I'm off the bike for a few weeks and I re-start, there's always a bit of soreness for the first week or two.  I won't go do a 6 hour or 12 hour ride in the first couple of weeks.  In fact, I probably only do 1hr rides and if I push that, I'll be needing the Boudreaux.

I talked to Nelo once about saddles and he told me if you find one you like, buy 3-4.  He also had a favorite discontinued saddle and when he found out they had stopped selling it, he scoured e-bay for more.  

My last in-store purchase was a Selle Italia for my road bike from Music City Cycles.  Dave had loaner saddles.  You paid a deposit and you could take saddles out for extended tests (like a week, and a long ride on the weekend, etc.).  I tested 4-5 saddles that way.  I wish more shops had this program.  My last saddle for myself was an online Ergon purchase (love that saddle.)  My last purchase for my family were saddles from the take-off box at Bucks.  $12 saddles including a women's model for my wife's hybrid which she seems to like (and several saddles b/c my 12yo seems to go through 2 a year).

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

My last in-store purchase was a Selle Italia for my road bike from Music City Cycles.  Dave had loaner saddles.  You paid a deposit and you could take saddles out for extended tests (like a week, and a long ride on the weekend, etc.).  I tested 4-5 saddles that way.  I wish more shops had this program.  

RIP Music City Cycles. Awesome Dave Hartley did my bike fit and recommended the Selle Italia Lady Diva Gel Flow that worked so well for a long time.  Dave also pointed out that saddle discomfort can also be related to how the sciatic nerve is routed in someone's particular anatomy.  Apparently, there's a lot of variation. 

My thinking at this time is to try saddles with a fair amount of foam padding, rather than gel.  I think it's the gel that has the squish factor; my Specialized Dolce foam saddle doesn't squish around. 

I like the Ergon saddle finder; the one they recommended for me is almost identical to the Specialized that I thought might work and both have foam rather than gel. 

I've been in enough discomfort that I actually considered trying this weird contraption: Spiderflex Bike Seat.  Also, the Spiderflex site reminded me that the sit bones (points of the pelvis that touch the seat) are technically the ischial tuberosities. 

Thanks, Cody, for the clarification!  

At least we have a lot of bike seat choices; it "taint" as difficult finding options as it used to be. 

No, no, but thanks.  I'll let myself out. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm looking for a better more comfy bike saddle for wife. I reluctantly bought her the big ole wide jel-filled saddle she wanted knowing that wasn't the right answer. We went out Saturday for a 6+ mile ride on an easy trail with lots of breaks. She had a good time but the next day realized the squishy seat, well, left a lot to be desired.
What do you ladies recommend?

1. Get her a good bib, or an overall nice kit.
2. Get her sit bones measured and find out the type of saddle she really needs
3. Ideally get a saddle from somewhere with a satisfaction guarantee like BSS where you can exchange them until you have the right one.

My wife actually found the mimic extremely uncomfortable. Her most comfortable saddle for her is the Avatar.

I have a bigger butt, but my sit bones are far more narrow it turns out. I rode several 155 saddles for a few years until I bought a bike with a 138 and it is amazing how much better it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, FJsnoozer said:

1. Get her a good bib, or an overall nice kit.
2. Get her sit bones measured and find out the type of saddle she really needs
3. Ideally get a saddle from somewhere with a satisfaction guarantee like BSS where you can exchange them until you have the right one.

My wife actually found the mimic extremely uncomfortable. Her most comfortable saddle for her is the Avatar.

I have a bigger butt, but my sit bones are far more narrow it turns out. I rode several 155 saddles for a few years until I bought a bike with a 138 and it is amazing how much better it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you got a badonka donk alright 😂