IGNORED

Rocky HIll Ranch Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

Went out today and cleaned up the new rest area location.

Next, I rerouted that section of trail for the second time in two days. Now, all riders will be forced against their will to ride through the shade just before veering right to take the old climb-out on across the road and up, up and over the top.

I moved the trail signs and map from the old location to the new. The picnic table and water jug should get moved down there soon.

Also, met a couple visiting from Israel who rented a van in Oregon and have meandered down through California, across to Colorado and their journey led them to chose Rocky Hill as a stop while sampling the trails in the USA. We compared notes on other trails they had hit, like Moab, Phil's World, etc. Next on their schedule is a quick visit to Louisiana, then up to Bentonville, back down to Tyler State Park and eventually finishing up in Chicago. What a trip! I hope they have a great time.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been feeling well this week, so have been slacking. Still, I created and installed 9 more signs marking the roads and the way "HOME" so riders can find the quick/easy way back using the ranch roads, if needed.

Also, did some chainsaw work to clear a fallen tree on Lemonade.

Looks like some ⛈️ in the forecast tonight and tomorrow, then again next week. Keeping fingers crossed that we get lots of it coming down nice and slow so it soaks in.

Now, back to slacking in the AC and recovering from whatever germ or bug 🤧 tagged me over the past weekend.

Happy trails!

• Like 1

Went out bright and early this morning and moved the picnic table, water jug, and a trash can to the new location of Ventoso (sans)Vista rest stop.

This tree should provide ample shade. The trail runs between the table and the post with the sign on the right.

Ventoso_sans_Vista.thumb.jpg.71f81a0da9ba959812307595f5a5671a.jpg

As I was wrapping this up it rained on me. Yay! Rocky Hill has received about 2.5 inches in the past week and more is expected this week.

We should get some tight trails to ride for a while out of this.

Come get some... in about a week. 😉

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

The current loop is just over 13 miles.

Not much trail has been added over the Summer, though the signage factor has gone up considerably.

There is another mile that will come online in the Fall if all goes well. It will hopefully be on par with Black Trac and SofaKing for fun factor.

Edit: There may be some new stuff on Black Trac since your last time out.

Edited by Ridenfool

On 8/21/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ridenfool said:

The current loop is just over 13 miles.

Not much trail has been added over the Summer, though the signage factor has gone up considerably.

There is another mile that will come online in the Fall if all goes well. It will hopefully be on par with Black Trac and SofaKing for fun factor.

Edit: There may be some new stuff on Black Trac since your last time out.

Thanks, that's considerably more distance than was out there my last visit!  Look forward to seeing what you've been up to, and thanks for keeping everyone updated with your progress.  And I'm very appreciative of good signage on trails, that's one weakness many of the Austin-area trails suffer!

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Thanks, that's considerably more distance than was out there my last visit!  Look forward to seeing what you've been up to, and thanks for keeping everyone updated with your progress.  And I'm very appreciative of good signage on trails, that's one weakness many of the Austin-area trails suffer!

Download/Update the maps for Texas on MTBProject or Trailforks for reference next time. These are mostly up-to-date. Only missing the recent move of the last rest stop.

Also, looks like another 1.2 inches of rain fell there today. More to come. Can't wait to get on the trails once it soaks in.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Download/Update the maps for Texas on MTBProject or Trailforks for reference next time. These are mostly up-to-date. Only missing the recent move of the last rest stop.

I definitely will, I have both apps on my phone. 

Took a spin this morning to clear a lot of stuff that had fallen onto the trail. There is one log on Black Trac that I'll have to come back with a chainsaw to take care of.

The trails are in fine shape, though getting some slappers creeping out with the moisture of late. Overall, an excellent surface, nice and tight for a change.

Come get some while the getting is good. And, it is GOOD right now!

• Like 1

Cleared the fallen log on Black Trac and cut some large drooping branches that were becoming a problem on Holden's Way and Corkscrew today.

Conditions are "soft" on the Squishy/Sticky/Soft scale. I'd say it would be good in a day or two, but there is rain in the forecast the next few days.

Might be another week of waiting out the rain before pedaling around out there. Maybe I'll just go build some trail instead.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back to dry, dusty, and loose in places. Had a good crowd out there yesterday.

This coming week has low temperatures (highs around 90) and, low humidity (~50% max) in the forecast. I'm going to take advantage of it and do some trail work, thankful that I won't have to wring out my clothes when I'm done for the day like usual.

Edited by Ridenfool

Two more new trail sections should be finished in time for next weekend's event. Total miles will now be ~14 of singletrack from Trailhead or ~14.5 from the sign-in parking. They are expected to be about 1/2 mile each. [Edit: Put wheels on both now and the total was 13.8 from Trailhead. Conditions are dry, with loose sand in places, and dusty when following.]

RHR Reboot Update, rumors are floating around that there may be 2 Day Passes to Spider Mountain given away on the event weekend.

Also, Cycle Progression will be offering free demo rides on their rental fleet, Specialized will have e-MTB demos, Frankenbike on site, 2 food vendors, free beer in keg and cans thanks to Smithville Sudworks and Independence Brewing.

Come get some!

Edited by Ridenfool

This afternoon I've opened up "Rabbit Hole" (part 1, more to come) and have had two friends ride it yesterday and today.

Both said something along the lines of "this needs to be a Black Diamond trail" and I responded that everything from Black Trac on are Black trails. To which it was suggested then that I make this a Double Black Diamond trail. I'm so proud. ☺️

It has a few techy elevation changes that may make for dropper application as it falls 75 feet or so over a quarter mile from beginning to mid point. (then you get to pay your way back to the top)

In the long run I expect it won't seem all that difficult once it is established with some traffic on it. It will be a hoot to ride and not for everybody.

Today I spent several hours with a Pick-Mattock and a McLeod bench cutting on some of the sketchier spots. This trail is found as a Y to the right on Sofa King. After Ventosa rest stop, cross the road and climb up the trail that leads to The Grind and The Wall. Watch on the right for Rabbit Hole. Once ridden, it connects back onto Sofa King shortly after it leaves it. My style is to design a trail so riders won't miss anything else by taking an optional trail. I've called these "Extra Credit" trails in the past.

My intention was to make it part of the loop, but Paul suggested it be made an option. We'll see how much traffic it gets. I have avoided making options on the loop, letting anyone who are toast to have ample opportunities to bail at road crossings and head for the car. Once Rabbit Hole part 2 is done it will total at a mile or so long.

If you ride it, say hi to Alice if you cross paths with her, and be wary of the Cheshire Cat.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

Paul's new section between the Trailhead and Pam's Picnic will be optional for the event. We'd like to see some wheels on it, though current dry conditions have left this new trail surface loose and sandy. With a little rain and some traffic it will pack down nicely, though we're unlikely to have any rain before the event. Once it is established this will the first trail section on the loop. On the next map update this new trail section will be named Kim's Sandy Switch, after the owner's daughter.

The traditional path up to Pam's Picnic (formerly known as Milk Jug Hill) will remain available for this weekend's festivities, just ride through the rocks marking the new route to stay on the established trail.

I'd suggest for those riders wanting to conserve their energy for the loop to take the old route straight up. Strong riders wanting to help pound the surface into submission are encouraged to ride this new switchback section. Doing so will add ~0.5 mile to the total loop.

Edited by Ridenfool

Didn't get a spin on the trails yesterday, but did today. Other than the dust it was a hoot.

I'm thrilled about how all the wheels this weekend have helped polish the new sections and show me where some adjustments could be made. I'll be out with tools over the next couple of days fine-tuning things to be better yet.

Maybe trail building is like sculpting. There is singletrack in the landscape and all that is necessary is for the builder to expose it.

If anyone who has been out recently has feedback or suggestions to share, please post up.

• 2 weeks later...

Got just shy of an inch of rain at RHR. Surface conditions are superb, there is no dust, and the AC is on outside for a few days this week!

With the arrival of low temps I've been working on the next new trail section. It will start where Rabbit Hole crosses the road the second time. This will cut it in half, and extend it by .8 mile. I'm leaning toward calling it "Tea Party." Isn't that what the White Rabbit was late for when Alice chased him down the rabbit hole?

Over the past few days I've managed to get about a quarter mile into it with the corridor cleared and the surface exposed. Hopefully will be completed in another month or so. There will be some long bench cuts in a couple of places that will take some time.

Also have tweaked some spots on Rabbit Hole to improve flow. In my experience, no trail is ever really finished.

• Like 3

The dust is just starting to come back, and will hopefully get a little more moisture on Monday.

Tea Party is coming along. Lots to do and nearing the halfway point. Work will get slow due to a lot of bench cutting.

Paul has started work on an extension of Fofenique that is looking sweet. This will avoid the wet area at the end that was notorious for holding water after a rain and will include some roller-coastery features. Look for it in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

The new section on Fofenique is open! It adds about 0.2 mi. overall. The new section is a roller coaster, taking advantage of undulating terrain with ups, downs, twists and turns, as well as a bridge. Kudos to Paul for this fine piece of work! Fofenique will be upgraded from Green to Blue on the next version of the map thanks to the added challenges this section brings.

On Rabbit Hole there was a major rework of a decreasing radius left that just didn't flow well. After a lot of dirt and rocks were moved, and with the installation of a bridge salvaged from the lost trails, this turn now flows much better (per a local who tried it out as I was wrapping up). Hopefully today's rain will help settle the work and tighten up the scree at the outside edge of the new bench cut.

Tea Party construction has eclipsed the halfway point. Goal is to get the corridor established and tread raked for the length of the trail, then to start work on some long bench cuts on two descents that cut across steeply sloped terrain. 

The trails have had some trimming in places, trying to keep ahead of growth. The dust is being kept in check with regular sprinkles of rain, and the outdoor Air Conditioning is fully functional again.

Come get a taste of the Lost Pines!

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

This link is to the weather station at Berdoll Pecan Farm adjacent to Rocky Hill.

It offers current information on precip accumulation, temps, and other useful data. Perhaps AB could add it to his page for Rocky Hill

There was about 0.6 in. today. Things were getting dusty on a ride two days ago, so I expect there may be a few puddles on Saturday. Sunday will likely be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Trails are in great shape. The rain has tightened things up. Paul has a few new berms in place and has done some work on others that needed a little love.

Work continues on Tea Party, my latest effort. After comparing the track to the satellite photo I found where I could add a little more. Might be as much as 0.2 mi added and will include a Grind/Wall type of thrill. On rides of late I've been putting wheels on what is done so far, taking it as an out and back. The first pass of cutting corridor and raking down to dirt is almost done. After that there are a couple of bridges to build, and quite a bit of bench cutting and other fine tuning before opening it up. Aiming to have it done by year's end. Then will update the maps.

Today's rain accumulation was 0.2 in. The trail surface this week and coming weekend should be excellent. Saw a lot of campers out last weekend.

Don't miss out on the best season for riding RHR when the Outdoor Air Conditioner is working so well.

Come get some!

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 1:51 PM, GFisher said:

Given today's rain, what do you estimate the drying time to be?

The AustinBike trail conditions page rarely seems to change for Rocky Hill.

I checked with the folks as AB World Headquarters and they let me know that this trail conditions site is pulled from another kind soul who manages it. @crazyt owns that and he can tell you how to provide updates for RHR.

The API automatically updates every 5 minutes so if someone submits the status to his app, 5 minutes later, through a series of tubes, the new result magically shows up on my site.

Got this routed and raked today. Gonna call it "The Jabberwock" to carry on the Wonderland theme. Didn't need no stinkin' bridges after all. (We'll see how it holds up after a good rain, and it may still need stinkin' bridges.)

Gotta say, the photo doesn't do it justice, ... bwahahahahaha

Jabberwok.thumb.jpg.d960d61c0d885b14b5f5446f2a875d0d.jpg

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 3