IGNORED

Rocky HIll Ranch Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

There was another 0.65 in. of rain and it is gooey in places and slippery in others as the ground is saturated. The Green and Blue trails are likely ride-able. I'd suggest avoiding Black Trac, Rabbit Hole, and Sofa King for a few more days. Hopefully okay by Saturday.

I'm planning to ride while many are preparing to watch the "big game" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more), so may have the place to myself on Sunday.

Flagged another new section that will expand Holden's Way by 2 or 3 tenths of a mile. Might start cutting the corridor on Friday or Saturday.

Paul put in another bridge in the soggy spot after the campground, just after Grey's and Holden's Way(s) rejoin. We bypassed the climbing turn that always gets nasty and collects the water that runs down that hill. It was a fun turn when dry. This new line will hold up better, particularly for the racers when the weather doesn't cooperate.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Today the trails were great. A few spots holding water that we need to address with larger projects, but overall fantastic trail conditions on 99%.

With the Pivot Demo fleet on site there was quite a crowd out today. It is nice to see so many cars in the parking lot.

Beware, the course markings for the upcoming race are confusing. To ride the whole loop, follow the small "XTRA" markers, even if you have to go around brush to stay on the trail, that is okay. The cut-through paths created for shortening the race route have given RHR a very Walnut Creek feel on today's ride. I look forward to these disappearing after the event.

I've asked Paul to consider in the future having the race arrows include the text "Race Route" on them, and have the other signs say "RHR Loop" instead of XTRA. I think people who do not race do not find the current markings intuitive and might be missing half of the trails if they think they must follow the arrows.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd really like to see a signed route out there that includes everything, to make it easier to follow.  It's not bad if you're actively using Trailforks, but that obviously slows you down as you have to stop and reference your phone to do that.  Especially given how significantly everything's changed in the past few years. 🙂 

I have a plan for that, but it involves getting a kiosk at the trail head to explain it.

Then there will be three or four loops you will take by following colored arrows at decision points.

As it is right now, just follow the single track from the trailhead, then, pick up the trail directly across each road crossing and take Rabbit Hole option. If you follow the single track you will ride everything. (at least, once the race cut-throughs are disappeared after the race)

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Made headway on the new section. Might have the corridor finished sometime next week. Then tread work.

Big crowd for the race. Camping spaces overflowing and parking lot getting full for Sunday's event. Lots of traffic on the trails today.

I hear they are putting Pee Wee's Big Adventure on an inflatable screen tonight, but I'll be relaxing on the couch after three days in a row doing trail work.

Back out tomorrow to ride a lap after the race.

• Like 1

Rode an abbreviated lap yesterday and the trail and weather conditions were fantastic. Abbreviated, because I was trying to milk miles out of a worn out rear tire and Murphy intervened, despite an ample supply of Orange juice in the tire. Thankfully, was able to limp back to the van on the jeep road with the Cush Core insert taking up the slack. Sadly, had to bail at the start of Black Trac just when I was getting to the fun stuff. Replacement tire was installed when I got home, so maybe I'll pick up where I left off yesterday and finish that ride.

On the ride I met three riders from Houston taking a break before Y-Knot. They said they hadn't been to Rocky Hill in a year and were raving about just how much better the trails have become since the old days. This unsolicited praise came before I had mentioned my involvement in the transformation. They were asking if the Grind and the Wall were still there and I assured them they were, and, told them to watch for the turn onto Rabbit Hole. Figuring that if they like those features they will enjoy Rabbit Hole too. Thanks Alex, Enrique, and Stefan for the kind words.

Got a measurement on the addition to Holdens Way that I've completed the corridor cutting on. Another 0.47 mi. soon to be added, more than doubling the length of Holdens Way. Just needs tread work and a few bridges to wrap it up.

Have now also flagged an extension to Corkscrew that may net another 0.25 mi. of new trail and incorporate a section of Fat Chuck's Demise into Corkscrew. This will allow folks taking Fat Chucks an option to roll back onto the singletrack instead of finishing the climb on the jeep road. Also, will turn that steep climb on Corkscrew with the wood armoring into a downhill section. Yippee!

With a workday called for this upcoming Saturday, March 4, we may be able to complete the Holdens Way addition in time to include it for Tejas Trails "Hells Hills" running event on April 1. (We are immensely grateful for this outstanding trail-running club which has generously contributed more volunteer man-hours to Rocky Hill's upgrade than all but Paul and I.)

Come get some time on the trails in the Pines!

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Saw lots of riders out today while we built four bridges on a new section that should be open by the end of the month.

I'm gonna ride tomorrow, all work and no play...

Edit: At the end of the workday a rider told Paul and I that "RHR used to be just another place to ride, and now it is more like a world class riding area."

Things like this make a trail builder feel pretty good about all the efforts we've put into the place. Thanks!

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

Finally got a ride in today. All the wet spots are much better now.

Pavillion to Pavillion is getting very close to 16 miles. ( put wheels on the new, unopened section to add it to the loop ridden )

Now, back to finishing the new bit up, then getting started on the addition flagged for Corkscrew.

Opened the new addition to Holdens Way today adding just shy of a half mile to the loop. Taking advantage of the outdoor air conditioning to push though and get 'er done.

RHR has officially reached the 16 mile loop goal, when ridden from the pavilion and back. That's 9.5 miles of new trail created over the past 16 months.

A lot of Yaupon gave their lives for this project, and a few Cedar as well.

Will hopefully get some rain on Thursday to bed in the dirt work completed over the past week.

If you haven't ridden Rocky Hill lately, you haven't ridden Rocky Hill.

12 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Opened the new addition to Holdens Way today adding just shy of a half mile to the loop. Taking advantage of the outdoor air conditioning to push though and get 'er done.

That's awesome!  Is it in Trailforks yet?

12 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

RHR has officially reached the 16 mile loop goal, when ridden from the pavilion and back. That's 9.5 miles of new trail created over the past 16 months.

That's damned impressive, and I can really appreciate how much work that is.  I got 14.9 miles on my last visit in December.  Will definitely try to get back out there within the next week or two.

Not in trailforks or mtb project yet. Might get the track tomorrow if I beat the rain.

Get out before the wild flowers are done. There are some colorful spots along the trail right now.

Edit: Have now submitted updated GPX to those sites.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Paul and Grey have added a short extension to Pams Picnic by filling in some unused space.

I'll be updating the online maps with the latest stuff soon. The new stuff is all extensions to existing trail, so no worries about missing any of it.

Using the calibrated mole mounds in the yard as a gauge I think it is dry enough for me to take a spin out there tomorrow and get those new GPS tracks.

• Like 1

Began work on an addition to Corkscrew that will bring a couple of new downhill sections (which will have to be paid for, bwhahaha), a new set of switchbacks (see what I mean), and a short trail reversal (like was recently done for additions to Black Trac and Holdens Way), as well as incorporating a short section of Fat Chucks Demise that will be shared with Corkscrew for a hundred feet or so.

I was able to clear corridor on more than half of the new trail yesterday. Will hopefully do as well again today. If so, this addition will be in use fairly quickly. Likely to be added in after the coming event. Speaking of which...

Tejas Trails will host their annual running event, Hell's Hills, on April 1, and the ranch will be closed to day use that day. The runners should do a fine job of beating the new stuff on Holdens Way into submission. We love these folks, as they have been very generous in providing volunteers for the transformation over the past year and a half. Most of Tristy, Loblolly, and Hard Boil were carved from the dense woods by their efforts.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Got the latest addition raked today. It may be a personal record, building a little over a quarter mile of new trail in under a week. Whew! This should bring the full loop to ~16.6 miles.

The new section is ready for Beta Testing. I've notified the RHR "Stig" to do some strafing runs on it. Expect to see this section cut into the loop after the Hells Hills event on April 1. No fooling!

This adds 0.35 mi. to Corkscrew (making it nearly a mile long) and will hopefully be a hum-dinger to ride as it will incorporate the middle hill on Fat Chucks Demise as a part of Corkscrew. (Fat Chucks can still be ridden full length on its own, for those who enjoy that sort of thing)

EDIT: Rode the loop with the new bit and wheel mileage showed 16.5 from/to Pavilion.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't quite opened up the new addition to Corkscrew and the Running event has penciled it into their course for tomorrow. Yay! Those runners do a great job of pounding the trail into shape.

But wait! There's more!

In the last two days we added another new section to Corkscrew that should net about 0.12 mile or so. Bringing the total addition up to 0.47 mile that will go online on Sunday. Unfortunately, it was too late to make it a part of the Tejas Trails event. Paul added a bridge and has plans for at least one berm to be built.

But wait! There's more!

This afternoon, after raking the new section above, I got frisky with my trusty RONCO Pocket-Loppers and made the first corridor cut to add another couple of switchbacks to the stack of them in the middle of Corkscrew. This will use up the last of the hill's peak and provide a nice extension to a short downhill run that was there.

Project Code Name: Cherry On Top

This should be completed quickly and will likely put the total length of these three extensions over the half-mile mark. These will have all been built in about two and a half weeks, if I can get the Cherry on Top finished before the forecasted rain hits.

Whew!

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

There was 4.25 inches of rain today, so far. In case that left things still a little parched Mother Nature plans to deposit another 0.5 to 1 inch overnight/tomorrow.

Let's just say It could be quite a bit more than a mite damp at Rocky Hill for the next several days.

Oh, and, well, um, er, Paul just got a new bike. Need I say more? 😒

Hopefully the rest of it dries out over the next 3 or 4 days. I would advise against planning a ride at RHR this weekend. We'll likely set up some reroutes around a couple of trail sections through persistent bogs that usually take longer to drain/dry.