IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

Every now and then MTB threads take a turn towards discussing favorite craft beer, whisky, etc. Thought it would be nice to start a thread specifically for that purpose. What's in your fridge / cabinet now? What have you discovered in your travels that you can't find anywhere local? 

Here's one of my favorite summer beers. Anybody seen it around at the local stores?  

thumb_deschutes-twilight-summer-ale (2017_07_18 13_09_01 UTC).jpg

Naked Nun from Adelbert's (though I had a Trippel B the night before)

Knob Creek single barrel Rye

Corazon single estate reposado tequila

Normally I don't do too much of the liquor, but sometimes I want something less filling.

It's very unusual for me not to have Real Ale Devil's Backbone in the fridge.

On our December family trip to SF, I discovered North Coast's brewing Brother Thelonious and I can get it here in Austin which is awesome.  Hmm...need to go pick some up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

It's very unusual for me not to have Real Ale Devil's Backbone in the fridge.

Ever try this one? Damn near need a shot glass to drink it and way too expensive for me. Takes the edge off in a hurry though! 

image.thumb.png.d2094eecaabeda9895ef34079ec37316.png

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Was on the fence about this one when it first came out, but have to say pretty good overall. Tastes like a Margarita creamsicle.

Made me think of this crap, which for whatever reason I used to love to drink in the summers when it first came out. That was long before I acquired a taste for craft beer. 

zblldigyz6by.gif

I've had the Sysyphus and other barleywines.  They're good, but they're not my preferred style.  I like a clean crisp finish.  Have you tried Real Ale's 25oz bottles?  The Commisar Russian Imperial Stout, the Red King Imperial Red Ale, and Black Quad Quadruppel are pretty good.  I'm not into Shandys either.  I like some sours but I'm super picky, and I couldn't put into words what makes one good and one makes the others not good to me.

• Like 2

Made me think of this crap, which for whatever reason I used to love to drink in the summers when it first came out. That was long before I acquired a taste for craft beer. 

zblldigyz6by.gif.cc62062fc694eb5cf924c773bf22605e.gif

Tequiza was a great post lawn mowing beer. I used to hit that when I was feeling for something fancier than Red Dog. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

My go to’s:
Thirsty Planet’s Thirsty Goat
Real Ale’s Devils Backbone
Live Oak’s Big Bark

When visiting my in-laws in PA I get to have Troeg’s Troegenator. They also make a descent amber ale. Weyerbacher’s Blithering Idiot and Merry Monks Trippel is good too.

I’m pretty much a sucker for any Marzen or anything barrel aged. Not a hop-head.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

One of the best beers I’ve had in resent memory, Avery Brewing Tweak. It’s a bourbon barrel aged coffee stout at 14.7abv. Definitely a boozy one, but tastes amazing. Gotta enjoy it slowly.
18c94d6910082c7a2c8fac2df253901d.jpg

The Uncle Jacobs Stout is also very good. Avery does some really good high ABV beers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, throet said:

zblldigyz6by.gif

I think that's a lager. The Mas Agave is a Gose style ale made with malted wheat and aged in tequila barrels.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, Teamsloan said:

One of the best beers I’ve had in resent memory, Avery Brewing Tweak. It’s a bourbon barrel aged coffee stout at 14.7abv. Definitely a boozy one, but tastes amazing. Gotta enjoy it slowly.
18c94d6910082c7a2c8fac2df253901d.jpg

Their foil bottles are damn good. Best one to me was the Rumpkin. Damn fine beer.

• Like 1

I'll drink beer. I enjoy stouts or brown ale and I really like barrel aged stouts. I also enjoy a Mexican yellow beer when it is quite hot--my garage refrigerator is currently stocked with Corona. And I enjoy red wine as well. But my real love is whisk(e)y. I have around 30 open bottles and 20 or so not-yet-opened bottles at any given time. This is representative of my "opens" cabinet, but this photo is a few months old, so it isn't exactly right. 

20180317_111110.thumb.jpg.d88fe32f01dee08a3682fedf310264c7.jpg

This is a photo of my current "not-yet-opened" cabinet. 

20190706_111115.thumb.jpg.5a928e4b2c0e1e72768ba115aba61138.jpg

• Like 3

Where are all the IPA lovers?? Although I posted a pic of Lone Star (which is my go-to "volume beer"), hoppy IPAs are my fave. 

Sierra Nevada Torpedo is probably my favorite all time. Readily available at most grocery stores, and every time I buy some, that first sip makes me say "Oh yeah, why don't I buy this more often? This stuff is great!"

Electric Jellyfish (Pint House Pizza) is mind blowing. That said, this hazy/juicy trend is starting to annoy me. It's like they are either great or gross. No inbetween. "Gross" being a relative term. It's not like I'm pouring any of them down the drain. 

I've also been buying a lot of Real Ale's Swifty this summer. It's an APA, not an IPA, but it delivers plenty of flavor and is nice when it's hot and you can't crush 7% or higher beers all day in the sun. I feel most "session" IPAs taste like they just watered down a decent IPA. 

Edit: This is all top of mind. I'll have to dig deeper for some of the rarer IPAs that I've enjoyed. 

Edited by notyal
  • Like 1

I think 512 IPA is my favorite IPA, or was until the PHP Electric Jellyfish.  I'll drink 1-2 IPAs but for some reason the taste starts being a bit too overbearing after that.  

Regarding small drink refrigerators, we're doing a remodel and there is the opportunity to put one of these in.  I'll have about 19" width and about 39" in height.  It will be fully enclosed in a cabinet, so I will need one that can handle front airflow only.  The search results are a bit overwhelming.  I had no idea there were too many choices.  I need the ability for cans and bottles, both standing (beers) and laying down (wines).

• Like 1