IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

46 minutes ago, notyal said:

What's the plan here? 

Bought a new 3l white oak barrel and aging it with an affordable quad for 30 days. Gonna dump that beer out, and fill with silver corn whiskey for 90 days. I usually cheap out and use a 2 gallon glass carboy and char some oak spirals when aging a spirit, but this time i went back to a cask. 

IMG_20170903_153016460.jpg

IMG_20170903_155030783.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ATXZJ said:

Bought a new 3l white oak barrel and aging it with an affordable quad for 30 days. Gonna dump that beer out, and fill with silver corn whiskey for 90 days. I usually cheap out and use a 2 gallon glass carboy and char some oak spirals when aging a spirit, but this time i went back to a cask. 

IMG_20170903_153016460.jpg

IMG_20170903_155030783.jpg

Nice. I got the aging whiskey in the barrel part, but didn't get that the beer was just for conditioning. 

Now that you've invested in the oak barrel, don't ever let it sit dry. By bro-in-law left one dry for just a few months and it cracked. It's hard to age whiskey when it leaks out in 30 seconds. 

27 minutes ago, notyal said:

Now that you've invested in the oak barrel, don't ever let it sit dry. By bro-in-law left one dry for just a few months and it cracked. It's hard to age whiskey when it leaks out in 30 seconds. 

Thanks

Had some casks before and i let the last one go for too long and it cracked. I'd already pushed it past its life cycle anyway so not a big loss. 

5 minutes ago, throet said:

Any stand out or all equally good?

It was a good trio because they all had distinctly different personalities. My favorite was the Mama Tried. It's the most classic west coast style IPA of the bunch. Can-o-Bliss is a good hazy IPA, but I get a little tired of the hazy stuff sometimes. The Brew Free or Die! IPA Blood Orange was a little orangey for my taste. Super refreshing for a hot day on the lake, but it's no coincidence that I had the most of those left over. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 5:56 PM, throet said:

Putting this local gem on my list of regular libations. Anybody been to their brewery here? 

IMAG2691.jpg

I have, but it was the last stop on a brewery tour, so the details are pretty hazy. It was one of the better stops IIRC. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 6:37 PM, ATXZJ said:

Used to help out at this distillery when i lived in NM, and this was the first gin wife and i were able to drink on the rocks. 

Never understood the appeal of drinking gin straight or on the rocks. Probably cuz of the time I stole a bottle from my Dad's stock and guzzled if with my friends. It's only been gin & tonic since then! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In Chicago to beat the heat, picked up these two IPAs. Revolution's Anti-Hero (green can) is one of my favorites and I always get it when I am up here. The other one is a short run called Hop Butcher (yellow can) that is pretty good as well. Considering that Chicago used to be called "Hog butcher to the world" the name Hop Butcher is pretty cool.

58820619297__6462BA46-1DE1-46A8-A8B0-13CB95555BC0.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/23/2019 at 7:56 PM, ATXZJ said:

Getting back to the local stuff. Cypress Creek rum coming out of Wimberly. If you ever have a chance, stop by and grab some of their barrel aged stuff. Pretty damn good.

IMG_20190823_193505906.jpg

I live walking distance from this place and have never been. Guess I should make it a priority.