IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

Saturday night Old Fashioned(s): a tutorial 

your ingredients are:

Bulleit Bourbon

Angostura Bitters

Angostura Orange Bitters

Simple syrup 

Orange

Cherry

Large surface ice cube 

The process:

1/2 teaspoon simple syrup

2 dashes bitters

2 dashes orange bitters

2oz bourbon

*mix*

1 large ice cube

1 slice orange peele (spun out over glass to release oils)

1 cherry (I’m out of Luxardo, so your standard poor man cherry will have to do)

Enjoy

D0A5F9FF-27A7-452E-A84F-444EC56DEB48.jpeg

768CA1CC-21BD-435E-B006-3412DFCD5FA8.jpeg

641941F8-A4EA-4EF3-AF20-09FEFFF52FB9.jpeg

662CCC1D-7415-4CC7-AD78-338BB6C4B033.jpeg

D49F4D85-B3A8-4D6F-98EF-095CE590AA08.jpeg

BCB1A621-00C1-4EB8-8D58-C0DBAE0224DA.jpeg

FE9BF8E0-9597-4A62-B363-48CCBDC4B866.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, Chief said:

Ok so here we go. This is what I'm drinking right now. But be forewarned I may take control of this thread. BTW my wife's glass is on the right. 

IMG_3822.JPG

Bought a 6er of these: 2 Gulden Draak, 2 Gulden draak 9000, 2 whiskey barrel aged. They were very good. 

Edited by jcarneytx
  • Like 2

An interesting little factoid for history buffs...

In bestbike's photos and cocktail recipe four comments up you'll see a bottle with a white label branded Angostura Aromatic Bitters. Some might be familiar with it as it has been around for a long time... But less known is the pretty amazing history of this little bottle of "...bitters...".

With beginnings in the outback of Venezuela, created by a man who was a doctor in Simon Bolivar's army that fought against and gained independence for Venezuela from Spain... Generations of business intrigue that would make a wonderful movie script, which included a move from the small town in Venezuela where it was first manufactured, to the island of Trinidad, where the company grew into a multi-product producing business that included an excellent rum. The family gaining tremendous financial success, then ruin that led to loss of ownership, then forty years later the regaining of ownership... It all makes for a pretty amazing story.

And here's a little local Austin twist... When I first moved to Austin, while working for a company I met a young lady from Venezuela. We got to talking about her background (I have family in Venezuela) and it turned out that one side of her family's background is the Siegert family of Angostura Bitters creator's fame (you'll see the name on the bottle). What was also interesting is that my family knew the Siegerts quite well; so here were two people meeting up Austin, TX... Thousands of miles away from South America and the Southern Caribbean, who had some kind of connection from another place and time. Life is an interesting thing.

Also...

The Siegert family has a German background, which is something familiar in Texas.

Here's a book written by a Trinidadian about German families in Trinidad, including the Siegert family. It's got a lot of interesting history related to Angostura Aromatic Bitters and I though if there're any history buffs out there that you might enjoy reading it.

https://ufdc.ufl.edu/AA00019235/00001/1j

Edited by RidingAgain

22 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Either your job is super stressful or wicked cool. Hope you arent a pilot or brain surgeon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It was a work party:  Diwali + Halloween + Dia de los Muertos combined celebration, so it was appropriate.  But I was always envious of the DAs in Law & Order, with that bottom drawer bottle of Whiskey.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:48 AM, AntonioGG said:

It was a work party:  Diwali + Halloween + Dia de los Muertos combined celebration, so it was appropriate.  But I was always envious of the DAs in Law & Order, with that bottom drawer bottle of Whiskey.

Have you never watched Mad Men? They'd walk into the office, grab a bottle of a sidecart, pour a glass for whomever was present, then commence meeting

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, notyal said:

I'm not a big stout guy, but this one sounds delicious with chocolate, coffee, and some spice. Was it all that you hoped it would be?

Without question. 

Stone Xocoveza is hands down my favorite winter beer in the history of my beer consumption. It is expensive, so I limit myself to 1 or 2 6ers when it’s in season, but I recommend this beer to anyone and everyone. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

40 degrees and raining? Here comes the tortilla soup and a big stout. 

5-D3-DD377-97-E8-4-EB7-9615-9-F99168-C7-

A few years back at the Draughthouse I had a Mole Stout from New Belgium.  It was pretty awesome.  I'm going to have to look for this Xocoveza for the similar twist.  Where did you pick this up?

16 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

A few years back at the Draughthouse I had a Mole Stout from New Belgium.  It was pretty awesome.  I'm going to have to look for this Xocoveza for the similar twist.  Where did you pick this up?

HEB Lakeline, so I’m sure it’s across most HEBs. They typically don’t put these stouts in the cooler, so search around the display areas.