IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

On 12/11/2019 at 7:15 PM, throet said:

Since @Chief didn't come through with his pumpkin home brew this year, I sought out an alternative. Not as good as Chief's stuff, but a tasty treat nonetheless. Personally, would prefer a little more pumpkin and a little less spice.  

image.thumb.png.c82675827b170f2d818c9ea5a83853a9.png

Just finished a can of Martin House Half Baked. Was planning to ride but not now. Need to recover. With a nap.  

20191219_172241.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, throet said:

Couple of good brews to ease into the holiday season while trimming the tree 🌲

IMAG2721.jpg

How was the Pecan ale?  I missed out on them when I was in La. last month. There's a really good one from a brewery called Lazy Magnolia in MS near Biloxi. Seen them at Total Wine a few times.

8 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

How was the Pecan ale?  I missed out on them when I was in La. last month. There's a really good one from a brewery called Lazy Magnolia in MS near Biloxi. Seen them at Total Wine a few times.

It was actually really good! I've had that one from Lazy Magnolia as well and seem to recall it was pretty good too. I would like to get some more of the Abita Geaux Nuts if it's still around. Think I got it at Randalls.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

EC51-D161-1-CC6-47-D6-AD57-6-BC6-D801-F4

I'd like to hear more from folks on their bourbons of choice. Seem to be a lot of Texas brands cropping up but I haven't taken the chance to try any of them. I've never had this one or Knob Creek and would like to know what folks think of these. Seems I keep coming back to Makers Mark and Bulleit 10yr. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, throet said:

I'd like to hear more from folks on their bourbons of choice. Seem to be a lot of Texas brands cropping up but I haven't taken the chance to try any of them. I've never had this one or Knob Creek and would like to know what folks think of these. Seems I keep coming back to Makers Mark and Bulleit 10yr. 

I don’t know all the in’s and out’s, I just know what I like. I keep Bulleit in the cabinet at all times. High rye content, so it’s the best of the spicy rye and a good full bourbon. I think it’s incredibly well priced too, especially when you buy a handle at Costco. Heaven Hill puts out killer bourbons, this Elijah Craig being one of them. Little sweeter than your standard bourbon so not the best for an old fashioned or manhattan, but excellent on ice or neat on a freezing night. Buffalo Trace is about as good a straight forward bourbon you can find and most people and online lists will say the same. It’s true. 

My best recommendation is to go grab a $25-30 bottle that you’re interested in trying. Be it Elijah Craig, Four Roses, Russell’s, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, or old Forester. None of those are bad, and even if after a few pours you realize it’s not your favorite, slide it to the back of the bar and slowly come back to it. It won’t go bad. Try a few different things through the process. It’ll take time, but you’ll learn your ways and love the experience. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, throet said:

Just bought a bottle of Barrel Proof Elijah Craig. My usual is Four Roses single barrel, though Buffalo Trace will sometimes find it's way home, as well as an occasional Blanton's. 

18 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

Just got back from Christmas at the soon to be in-laws in Waco. Prepping thy body for 3 days with my family in the Boot. First time back to Louisiana all year. It’s going to be a mess. 

Any time in La. with family involves a good deal of booze.  Well any time with MY family in La. requires some booze. 😉 I travel heavy JIC!

Edited by Chongo Loco
  • Like 1

This is "Pantsless Pale Ale" from Alarmist Brewing, down the street from where I used to live in Chicago. Didn't really need to stop for a beer, but when you live a pantsless life, you need to support the people that really make it happen.

Technically I was wearing pants, but I was the only one in the tap room, so I could have done the deed and taken them off. 

IMG_5052.jpeg

• Like 1

This is an incredible Polish porter. Took my nephew out for Polish food in Chicago because he is heading off to Estonia for his first real job. The food was great but this porter was incredible. I've had their lagers at this restaurant in the past but this one really takes the cake. If Spec's can get it I will pick some up.

IMG_5054.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, AustinBike said:

This is an incredible Polish porter. Took my nephew out for Polish food in Chicago because he is heading off to Estonia for his first real job. The food was great but this porter was incredible. I've had their lagers at this restaurant in the past but this one really takes the cake. If Spec's can get it I will pick some up.

IMG_5054.jpeg

Spec's can only carry what the Texas liquor mob allows them to. The distributors basically decide what any liquor store carries. It's bizarre. I was talking to the beer guy at the Spec's at Arbor walk and he said that he doesn't order the beer anymore he just gets whatever they send him. I said you're a "glorified stock boy" and his reply was "yep". Spec's and Total wine used to carry quite a few Belgian ales that I liked and slowly they all started going away. I asked about getting a different style of beer from a brewery that they carried and was told that it was discontinued from the distributor. On Long Island where I'm from originally, we had beer distributors that were as big as the Spec's at Arbor walk, all they carried was beer. You could find just about any kind of beer at them. Liquor was an entirely different store. 

Edited by Chief

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, throet said:

Been really taking a liking to the Scotch Ales, and this one from Oskar Blues is quite tasty and reasonably priced. Still packs a punch too at 8% abv. 

IMAG2738.jpg

Nice!!

Have you tried the wee heavy from real ale? Probably one of the best values in wee heavy beers.

• Like 1

I Oskar Blues almost weekly. And every since they they ran out of my old favorite, the 2017 Ten Fiddy, and came out with the hoppy 2019 Ten Fiddy, I've been enjoying the Old Chub. Hopefully that 2019 version will mellow eventually. Until then, Old Chub!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1