IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

13 hours ago, throet said:

IMAG2805.jpg

I'm really enjoying this as well. I've long been a fan of Alberta Distilleries (ADL) rye, and was super happy when WhistlePig released this 6 year version about a year ago. I was watching closely, but it didn't hit Texas until about 6 or 8 weeks ago--and now I'm 2 bottles in. If you haven't had it, I also suggest the 10 year version for about $70, which is significantly better still. And if you haven't had it double extra suggest you keep an eye out at Specs or TW for a cask strength store pick Single Barrel version for about $75-85, because that is about as good as whiskey gets, in my opinion. 

Interestingly, this is also same ADL distillate that I posted a couple of pages back of my real good cabinet, the 16 & 18 year Lock, Stock & Barrel from Cooper Spirits. Someone was whinging a couple of pages back about sourced whiskies, but I'd much rather a distillery put out sourced whisky while their own stuff ages, rather than rush out their over priced and underaged craft garbage. WhistlePig is now distilling, aging and selling their own, but it's still really young. Currently they blend it with both ADL and MGP (that big plant in Indiana) rye in their Farmstock offering, which I don't particularly recommend yet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Barry said:

I'm really enjoying this as well. I've long been a fan of Alberta Distilleries (ADL) rye, and was super happy when WhistlePig released this 6 year version about a year ago. I was watching closely, but it didn't hit Texas until about 6 or 8 weeks ago--and now I'm 2 bottles in. If you haven't had it, I also suggest the 10 year version for about $70, which is significantly better still. And if you haven't had it double extra suggest you keep an eye out at Specs or TW for a cask strength store pick Single Barrel version for about $75-85, because that is about as good as whiskey gets, in my opinion. 

Interestingly, this is also same ADL distillate that I posted a couple of pages back of my real good cabinet, the 16 & 18 year Lock, Stock & Barrel from Cooper Spirits. Someone was whinging a couple of pages back about sourced whiskies, but I'd much rather a distillery put out sourced whisky while their own stuff ages, rather than rush out their over priced and underaged craft garbage. WhistlePig is now distilling, aging and selling their own, but it's still really young. Currently they blend it with both ADL and MGP (that big plant in Indiana) rye in their Farmstock offering, which I don't particularly recommend yet. 

Thanks for the great info. I had actually gone to the liquor store looking for that JD SBBP that you had recommended. The neighborhood LS didn't have it though. I still felt compelled to give the guy some business and got to talking to him about several of the different whiskeys I had not had. I narrowed it down to the Jefferson's Small Batch Bourbon and this Rye from Whistle Pig. Probably should have just bought them both. Let me know if you've had that Jefferson's as I could just head back over there today. I've never paid over $55 for whiskey but I'll definitely splurge at least once to see how much of a difference it can make. Especially now, since I'll want to have something special on hand should I start feeling feverish with a dry cough. Would love to get your top 5 in the $75 range!   

49 minutes ago, throet said:

Thanks for the great info. I had actually gone to the liquor store looking for that JD SBBP that you had recommended. The neighborhood LS didn't have it though. 

Oak Liquor Cabinet has it.  Southbound US183 access road just south of Spicewood Springs.  Same shopping center as BB Rovers.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

How is HEB for beer?  I'm out of beer.  I have been into Oak Liquor Cabinet for spirits but forgot the beer.  I have to go to HEB tomorrow to pick up a Rx anyway, so I figured I'd see if they have some Devil's Backbone.

I'm sure they do, but spec's is doing curbside and their inventory is pretty up to date. Also, total wine will deliver through instacart barring a potential labor strike.

(which i support)

I haven't really gotten into Jefferson's that much, but folks really like it.  I had one bottle maybe 6 years ago, and never really went back. Interestingly they are the fourth company who I'm aware that ever sold a sourced ADL rye, but it hasn't been on the shelves in about 6 or so years. 

27 minutes ago, throet said:

Would love to get your top 5 in the $75 range!

I don't know about a top 5, but I can certainly name a few of my $55-100 favorites. I'll break it down by region. 

Rye: I said most of this up there ^. WP 10 year ($70), or a cask strength store pick if you can find it (~$80). You might also try Masterson's ($65), it's very good, but at 45%, it has lower ABV than WP. These are both Canadian "flavoring" whisky that was originally distilled and barreled to be blended proofed down to rubbish, but were bought and resold as 100% well aged rye by US companies.

A wild card here is the much harder to find High West A Midwinter Nights Dram ($70-99+). It comes out a the end of every year. This is their Rendezvous Rye finished in port barrels, and it is amazing. Similar but WAY more available is Angel's Envy rye ($75). This is an MGP rye finished in rum casks. I can't drink it often because it is very sweet, but I always have a bottle on-hand.  [Interestingly every rye I've mentioned here happens to be sourced whisky. The last two are sourced from US companies.]

Irish: I'm not huge into Irish, but Redbreast 12 yr Cask Strength ($80) is freakin' great. 

Scotch: There are an embarrassing number of spectacular single malts in the $70 range. The list just goes on and on. But if you can dig on a peated malt, I suggest my favorite, Ardbeg Uigeadail ($67-75). Expect deep smoke with a background of sherry sweetness. 

Bourbon: Unlike a single malt or even a rye, I think bourbon has diminishing returns once you get over the $70 range. Most of my favorites are in the 25-30 range! But my all time favorite is the hard to find Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (MSRP is ~$59, but it is usually a LOT more. Get it if you see it, but don't pay more than $80). Almost as good but also hard to find for about the same price is Stagg Jr. Way more available and also very good is Maker's Mark Cask Strength ($45-55). Availability and quality is what has driven me to JDSBBP these days. 

20 minutes ago, Barry said:

I haven't! But I really like what's going on with US single malts currently. 

When all this chaos settles, take a trip out there. Distillery & tasting room are great and staff/owners were really friendly and helpful. Also, worth a stop at Real Ale while you're out there as it looks like they're releasing a new rye.😎

Speaking of rye, has anyone tried the new rye gin from still in austin? DAMN good contender for one of our favorites. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

When all this chaos settles, take a trip out there.

I absolutely will. It looks like it would line up nicely with a Pedernales or Reimer's Ranch ride. 

And I'm pretty sure I can take it back that I haven't tried one of them. It was either at Whiskies of the World or one of the TX whisky festivals that Opal Divines used to put on. I can certainly recall the bottles, but at whisky festivals you drink so many different whiskies that it gets lost in the fog. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 3:50 PM, notyal said:

I've been going quantity over quality lately. Lotza Lone Star. 

However, I broke down and got some Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA last night. I just smelled it for a while before drinking. Mmmmmm, hoppy goodness. 

Total wine delivered a 12 pack of that the other day with the rest of my order. Still sitting in quarantine as I break into the 12-pack of Torpedo from February.

10 minutes ago, throet said:

Definitely digging the Big Bark from Live Oak. Oh wait is it only 3:45?

IMAG2814.jpg

Nice! Been to the brewery? It's a trip driving to it.......Place is awesome though and a lot of taproom only choices too.

12:00 with a 0000000000000 is A-OK for me😎

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, throet said:

Definitely digging the Big Bark from Live Oak. Oh wait is it only 3:45?

IMAG2814.jpg

Nice, my last pickup a couple days ago was a sixer of Big Bark and a sixer of ABW Fire Eagle. Trying to keep it local. I will get some stuff from the surrounding area, but no Big Beer Craft Beer (Karbach, Goose Island, etc). I wish I didn't like Oskar Blues since they are not really local. I am able to avoid them for the most part, but when they had $2 cans at the taproom it was hard to resist. 

• Like 2