IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

A lot going on today. Made a stop at total wine for some hard to find goodeness. Thanks @Chief for the Belgians. 

IMG_20200817_133632179.jpg

Also, a year ago I poured 5 bottles of black quad into a cask for a month, dumped it out and added some corn whiskey and let it sit for 4 months. Was pretty good but still kinda hot from using a cheap corn based spirit for the base. This time I found an affordable rye grain new make for my base and left the beer in it for about two months. Gonna fill it up and stick the cask in the garage to take advantage of this heat. Probably start sampling in 90 days and going from there. Hopefully santa wife will bring me a grainfather this year so I can make my own. We shall see on that one.

IMG_20190811_133224387.thumb.jpg.b3a33527860cd91a18336bf271b5fd46.jpg

IMG_20200817_133040785.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

Also a big sparkling water fiend. Saw this and thought I'd give it a try..........

Absolute garbage. Avoid. At best 24hrs of carbonation vs 48 for topo and 36 for Richards. Also has about the same taste as the water from my tap vs topo that has that mineral water / sodium flavor.

Looks like I'm just gonna do the Richards subscription service moving forward. Not giving coca cola my $.

IMG_20200823_182557170.jpg

11 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I thought the same thing. Wife liked it but I like topo better. Especially the lime topo. Definitely not enough carbonation for me. Even the HEB canned water is better. Again I like their canned lime. 

As long as we are talking about the hard shit, have y'all ever tried Big Swig sparkling water? If you're sick of the lemon, lime, or fruity flavors of most brands, Big Swig brings something a little different. My favorite from them is Chile Mango. I've also tried their watermelon mint and prickly pear cucumber. Not for everyone, tho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I thought the same thing. Wife liked it but I like topo better. Especially the lime topo. Definitely not enough carbonation for me. Even the HEB canned water is better. Again I like their canned lime. 

Glad I'm not alone on that one. Was really disappointed since HEB usually has their stuff pretty dialed.  Topo grapefruit and silver tequila is pretty tasty for low cal drunkenness. Ever had Richards Sparkling?

1 hour ago, notyal said:

As long as we are talking about the hard shit, have y'all ever tried Big Swig sparkling water? If you're sick of the lemon, lime, or fruity flavors of most brands, Big Swig brings something a little different. My favorite from them is Chile Mango. I've also tried their watermelon mint and prickly pear cucumber. Not for everyone, tho.

Yeah, swig is pretty damn good. Like the prickly pear, grapefruit and watermelon for sure. Tried the other three oddballs, and I'm with you on the chile mango. Its the only one i would drink again. 

Edited by ATXZJ

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Never had Richard. I drink a ton of tap water and the sparkling stuff is mostly as a chaser or mixer. I'll keep an eye out for that but I am cheap.

Hear ya on the mixers. I have to drink a lot of water during the day, and a cold bottle of sparkling makes it easier. Richards is local so thats a bonus.

https://www.richardsrainwater.com/

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:30 PM, ATXZJ said:

Picked this out as part of my doomsday prepper kit😁

Really, really well done hazy

IMG_20200313_153113448_HDR.jpg

This. I do love me some Pinthouse Electric Jellyfish, probably has been my favorite juicy/hazy IPA and favorite beer overall. I have started to see it on shelves in the liquor store, but at around $20 for 4-16oz cans even at the restaurant, Fresh Kicks is certainly a much greater value and is my go to beer at present, I splurged and got some EJ recently and I'm not so sure now that Fresh Kicks isn't every bit as good. On tap I have paid $7-8 for a pint of EJ; that is a bit excessive. I have both in the fridge, I may do a blind taste test tonight. Either way, Fresh Kicks Kicks Ass!

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, GFisher said:

This. I do love me some Pinthouse Electric Jellyfish, probably has been my favorite juicy/hazy IPA and favorite beer overall. I have started to see it on shelves in the liquor store, but at around $20 for 4-16oz cans even at the restaurant, Fresh Kicks is certainly a much greater value and is my go to beer at present, I splurged and got some EJ recently and I'm not so sure now that Fresh Kicks isn't every bit as good. On tap I have paid $7-8 for a pint of EJ; that is a bit excessive. I have both in the fridge, I may do a blind taste test tonight. Either way, Fresh Kicks Kicks Ass!

I'm waiting for the taste test results.  I have had both of those.  EJ is also probably my favorite IPA.   I don't think they're close but maybe I need to do a taste test too!

• Like 3

Electric Jellyfish blew my mind. It was one of the first hazy IPAs I had, and I thought that all hazy IPAs would be just as glorious. Boy, was I wrong. I like some, but give me a good old fashioned west coast IPA over most of hazy/juicy attempts. As my brewmaster friend said "we spent all this time figuring out how to make beer clear, now we are adding shit to make it hazy??" 

Fresh Kicks is one of the better ones, though. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm waiting for the taste test results.  I have had both of those.  EJ is also probably my favorite IPA.   I don't think they're close but maybe I need to do a taste test too!

Yeah, while I still think Fresh Kicks is solid, and it will remain near the top of the rotation, the side by side blind test goes to EJ. Definitely smoother with a better finish. It is clearly a premium beer and even with a premium price, it is worth it. The last EJ I had had been in the fridge for a couple months. These were both fresh. EJ for the win!

IMG_20200903_202007401.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, GFisher said:

Yeah, while I still think Fresh Kicks is solid, and it will remain near the top of the rotation, the side by side blind test goes to EJ. Definitely smoother with a better finish. It is clearly a premium beer and even with a premium price, it is worth it. The last EJ I had had been in the fridge for a couple months. These were both fresh. EJ for the win!

IMG_20200903_202007401.jpg

I just went shopping.  I'll be doing a blind taste tonight. I'm so excited!

• Like 2