IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

On 8/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, Barry said:

The redemption of Balcones... After their terrible young bourbon was a bust, they still have plenty of good will from me because of their malts, rye and Brimstone are spectacular.  So when I heard they were putting out a $35 young malt, I was intrigued. 

Well, Balcones Lineage did not disappoint! This is an excellent example of a American malt. It's a blend of Scottish and Texas grain, and a blend of used and new barrels. And as with most Balcones malts, the story here is big spice and fruit notes, with no young malt harshness. I highly recommend it. 

It has been out for a few weeks now, but Austin seemed behind in the distribution. Finally today I found a large number of bottles at Airport BLVD Spec's. 

Screenshot_20200810-161237_Photos.jpg

I picked some up.  If this was a wine I would say I can taste the vine.  Is that the young barrels I taste?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I picked some up.  If this was a wine I would say I can taste the vine.  Is that the young barrels I taste?  

The young malt grain really shines through. Often with smaller distilleries putting out young whisky that grain influence carries harsh flavors. For example Balconies Bourbon was heavy with notes of glue and acetone. But young malts are far more forgiving than young corn based whiskies. So that really helps here. And the mix of new and used barrels really helps mix things up. Maybe some of those used barrels previously held wine? Or rum? Or who knows what in those used barrels may have elevated this malt.

Edited by Barry
Fixing drunken typos.
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Bruery does some good stuff and those odd sides aren't cheap. Any good?

Haven't tried yet. Will try the rye at least tonight, maybe even the stout as well. Got a four-pack of each. I know I like rye whiskey and the one rye IPA I had (real ale, I think?) was also really good. Looking forward to trying it.

• Like 1

No pic, so used google: Oddside Derby Days is REALLY good. A bit boozy, but I like it that way. Nice spicy rye notes. Glad I have 3 more! The only weird thing though, was I could find only info about Derby Days (postponed). Not sure what the difference is, but my cans are like the pic, without the POSTPONED in red across the middle.

bf30215ca80baa4e1f4a9c7fd7a148da_640x640.jpg

Edited by jcarneytx
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, throet said:

Indeed. Our favorite seafood dive. Not a special. Been eating them there for years. 

It is a great seafood dive! I guess I never look past the raw oysters and crawfish etoufee long enough to see anything else. Need to broaden my horizons!

• Like 1

The broiled snapper with seasoned veggies is my go-to meal there. 

12 minutes ago, GFisher said:

It is a great seafood dive! I guess I never look past the raw oysters and crawfish etoufee long enough to see anything else. Need to broaden my horizons!

On 10/30/2020 at 5:53 AM, AustinBike said:

I see one that would be perfect for an R&I

Holy crap. It took me this long to understand this. Imma dumbass. Name might be a good fit, but not sure I'd want to drink a 16oz 15.3%abv stout at R&I. Didn't stop me in previous years from drinking 15+% abv 12oz 120 Minute IPA. But I'm older now, and limit that to being at home.