IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

It's good.  I only had a tiny taste so far, but for $65 I think I prefer something a wee bit more Scottish and more peaty.

Yeah, at that price point I can understand. Did you buy it at the brewery or locally?

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

It's good.  I only had a tiny taste so far, but for $65 I think I prefer something a wee bit more Scottish and more peaty.

I saw these brands at TW yesterday. I noticed they had an interestingly named "Rye Grain Straight Malt Whisky." (85% malt, 15% rye malt). Neat for sure, but not $80 worth of interesting. 

I'm with you 100% on the price point. Why not just get Talisker 10 or Ardbeg Uigeadail? I know these small distilleries have to recover their considerable start-up investment before the bank really comes knocking, but pushing out young and overpriced whisky doesn't do them any favors. This is why I'm fan of the WhistlePig, HighWest and many other's model, where they either bulk buy or order contract distillate from one of the bigger outfits to sell under their brand while they get their own distillate up to par--so long as they're transparent about it (initially WP was not)! 

I've tried lots of USAian "craft" whiskies, and I've never found an acceptable bourbon. I've had some "not bad" bourbon, but for the same price,  you can bet I'll enjoy a of bottle of RareBreed much more. 

But I have had good luck with both craft malts and ryes. This is why I like Balconies Lineage so much. It's a little young, but it's great for the price. And really, even their Classic Malt is quite good in the $60-70 range. They add a lot of flavor & value bottling at higher ABV. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Yeah, at that price point I can understand. Did you buy it at the brewery or locally?

Bought at TotalWine.  My go-to place this pandemic.

@Barry what I had before this bottle was a Rittenhouse Rye (we like Manhattans but it's pretty good straight) at almost 1/3 the cost.   I've bought it twice in fact.

I have had the Uigeadail and it's really good.  It's the smokiest Scotch I've ever tasted.  I liked the Wee Beastie better though.  I will check out the Talisker 10 next time.  I did try the Lineage. It didn't last long!

I had a bit more of the Real Ale last night and was able to taste it a bit more.  I stand by my initial assessment, good but not $65 good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I had a bit more of the Real Ale last night and was able to taste it a bit more.  I stand by my initial assessment, good but not $65 good.

Was at R.A. two weeks ago and had some beer & spirits. Feel the same way about their gin. I'm down with keeping it local, just wish the price of their liquor reflected the same value their beer offers. 

Decided to give this one from Bulleit a try. Smooth sipper with vanilla notes on the palate. At $53 though I won't be getting it again, as I much prefer the OF 1920 or the WT Kentucky Spirit that are readily available at that same price point. Here's everything that's left on my list to try out, some of which are apparently hard to find. 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof, Elijah Craig Small Batch - 94 Proof, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Four Roses Single Barrel, Weller Special Reserve, Weller 12yr, Larceny Barrel Proof, Noah's Mill, Old Elk Blended Straight Bourbon, Hickory Hill Single Barrel 12yr, Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye, Russel's Reserve Single Barrel, Knob Creek Single Barrel Select, Michter's Barrel Strength Rye, Makers 46 Cask Strength

image.thumb.png.ed083b6904e71ceda1cae2719239294f.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Got to hit Last Stand in the dirty south for a post-ride beer. Looking forward to having a brewery so close to us.

Juicy IPA

IMG_20210131_141838367_HDR.jpg

Nice! I have enjoyed my few visits to their Fitzhugh location. Good to have breweries in all different parts of town.

• Like 1