IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

• 2 weeks later...

We had a virtual wine tasting yesterday. Sometimes it's good to be the customer. Two bottles of Spanish wine and some food for pairing.

But these were awesome and outside of anything that I would ever buy; I am unsophisticated so good wine is wasted on me. The Tinto Pesquera was the better of the two but they were both excellent.

IMG_6078.thumb.jpeg.67ce3b519a6a5c2e129c6776eafd4c07.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I am unsophisticated so good wine is wasted on me.

You keep saying that.  So you'd be good with two buck chuck?  I doubt it.  Or do you mean $50+ bottles are wasted on you?  B/c I'm of the opinion price is not an indicator of quality at all.  Now I have to find those two bottles so I can try them myself. 🙂

10 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Sitting on the porch last night with no power drinking a cheap temp aged in bourbon barrels. Gotta say, the silence & darkness made for a nice pairing😁

I totally read that the first time as "no power-drinking".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

You keep saying that.  So you'd be good with two buck chuck?  I doubt it.  Or do you mean $50+ bottles are wasted on you?  B/c I'm of the opinion price is not an indicator of quality at all.  Now I have to find those two bottles so I can try them myself. 🙂

Mostly what I drink is Cabernets, I don't think I have spent more than $15 on a bottle in a long time. Most are ~$10. But I am a convenience drinker and have this all the time:

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-wine/cabernet-sauvignon/black-box-cabernet/p/99645031?s=514&igrules=true

$16 for 3 liters, tastes fine to me.

The big win is the convenience of a wine spigot so I don't have to worry about capping bottles. 

2 buck Chuck might be a little under my grade but I am closer to that than the $40 bottle of Spanish wine that we had last night.

• Like 1

$15 a bottle is probably our average.  Some below, some above.  Best red wine I ever had was a Haut-Médoc in Paris Christmas 2012 for 14 Euros in the neighborhood wine store (got cheese from the neighborhood charcuterie and bread from the neighborhood bakery, one of our best Christmases ever).  Close 2nd was a bottle in a family restaurant somewhere in the Loire Valley in the spring of 2000.  It had a hand-written label.  The stone building and fireplace/grill looked like it was 1000 years old.  I wish I knew where it was exactly because I'd love to go back.  Most disappointing bottle I think was a $45 of Haut-Médoc a few years ago, trying to find that magic again.  Man, I can't wait to travel again.  I'm going to all the places, eating all the food, and drinking all the wine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

$15 a bottle is probably our average.  Some below, some above.  Best red wine I ever had was a Haut-Médoc in Paris Christmas 2012 for 14 Euros in the neighborhood wine store (got cheese from the neighborhood charcuterie and bread from the neighborhood bakery, one of our best Christmases ever).  Close 2nd was a bottle in a family restaurant somewhere in the Loire Valley in the spring of 2000.  It had a hand-written label.  The stone building and fireplace/grill looked like it was 1000 years old.  I wish I knew where it was exactly because I'd love to go back.  Most disappointing bottle I think was a $45 of Haut-Médoc a few years ago, trying to find that magic again.  Man, I can't wait to travel again.  I'm going to all the places, eating all the food, and drinking all the wine.

Some of the best wine that we had in Italy was at a local grocery store. They had several huge stainless vats and they sold wine for ~1EURO per half liter. They had a bunch of empty plastic pop bottles there, fill one up and pay at the counter. Throughout France we always found great wine in groceries. We never knew what we were getting but it was always great. Loire Valley was pretty cool and we had lots of great wine there. I can't tell you how much I miss travel. First overseas trip will be hiking in Germany in April of next year.

• Like 1

We have developed a pricey Pinot Noir habit - mostly Russian River Valley, also some New Zealand South Island varietals. En Route, Kosta Browne, Burgess, Duckhorn, Gibbston Valley. We belong to wine clubs and our standard table Pinot is Hahn from Randall’s or Total Wine - brings it down to $10 a bottle or so. Hey, we got no kids, nowhere to travel, so what’s wrong with some good red wine and bike parts!

In fact, right now we are holed up in our camper trailer in Terlingua with a case of Hahn and a good quantity of Jellyfish ....

Edited by TAF
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm there!!  What region?

It was in the south, we were staying in Nerano, near the Amalfi coast.

This was the grocery store:

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.e7aef6aaaaf963c4f90047b8d3eafdd3.JPG

Not a bad little villa that we stayed at either:

https://www.johnfruehe.com/travel/italy/nerano/nggallery/page/1

The only problem was the driveway. It was like a 40 degree angle down with a 180 degree switchback halfway. The first time I drove down there I was basically "stuck" at the bottom. Some bumper scrapes and I figured out how to get the car to the top. After that we had an interesting drill. The car was a manual and there was a small pad at the top of the driveway. What you did was pull the car in from the street, roll it about 20' down the driveway, have one person get out and stand at the top. The other people duck their heads so I could see out the back. Pop the clutch with it in reverse, giving it enough power to shoot backwards, then slam on the brakes when you get to the top to keep it from crushing your friend and bursting through the retaining wall. Seriously this was the most nerve-racking part of every single day. And no, there was no nearby parking lot or street parking.

Edit: Found the villa on google maps, you can see the driveway of hell: https://www.google.com/maps/place/40°35'13.7"N+14°21'05.5"E/@40.5871452,14.3515185,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d40.5871452!4d14.3515185

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 1