IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

That looks amazing.

How crowded was St. Edwards?  I've avoided it for over a year even though it's the closest ride-from-home trail for me and an excellent place to do hill repeats.

Considering how great the weather was, almost nobody was out there. Heard horror stories so we decided to go on foot. Imagine that place was cool AF in the 70/80s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Considering how great the weather was, almost nobody was out there. Heard horror stories so we decided to go on foot. Imagine that place was cool AF in the 70/80s.

Interestingly Brushy was the same way.  The parking lot was crowded AF.  I think it's Holi (Festival of Lights--checks calendar, yep 3/28 to 3/29) so there were big parties at the pavillions but the trails were mostly empty.

Now I get to decide what to drink since I just stocked up.   Brother Thelonius to start or finish?  And a Devil's Backbone to start or finish.  Hard to decide!

• Like 2

Feisty Blonde from HopFusion. Upon first sip of this stuff I was really impressed, but there's something about it that just keeps me from wanting a second one, possibly the honey flavor. A friend of mine couldn't get enough though; so I suppose to each their own. I must say 8.27% for a Blonde is impressive, but I'm going to pass on picking this one up again. Might be worth at least trying it if you like a lighter beer but with some kick. 

image.thumb.png.f36baa645003984ba9dec86625f067ca.png

• Like 2

Feisty Blonde from HopFusion. Upon first sip of this stuff I was really impressed, but there's something about it that just keeps me from wanting a second one, possibly the honey flavor. A friend of mine couldn't get enough though; so I suppose to each their own. I must say 8.27% for a Blonde is impressive, but I'm going to pass on picking this one up again. Might be worth at least trying it if you like a lighter beer but with some kick. 
image.thumb.png.f36baa645003984ba9dec86625f067ca.png

This matches my impression of this beer perfectly. I thought it would taste stronger with the kick but it just didn’t do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Still working to collect on my long list of whiskies to try. Picked this one up today as I hadn't worked any Ryes into the rotation yet. It's really good but I'd rank others I've tried higher at this price point. Everything I've been trying over the past year has been in the $45-$60 range. If I had to stop right now and pick just two whiskies for a regular rotation, it would be the OF 1920 and the Four Roses Single Barrel. I know there is much more for me to try, but I'm finding that variety isn't as important to me as the pure pleasure that comes from something you know is going to connect instantly and intimately with your pallet.    

image.thumb.png.d82ef738c4f11210b1c9c28b9ff1267c.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Anyone else like Rittenhouse bottled in bond Rye?  I mainly get it for Manhattans but I also like it by itself.

It's pretty good! And certainty a good value,  as are most BiB whiskies. But it is largely one-note to me...banana pudding. For me it suffers the same fate as most KY ryes like Sazerac or Knob Creek and others (which are also only 51% rye), in that it's only a few mash bill percentage points away from being a bourbon. That's not really a bad thing, but it isn't what I love about a rye. My favorites are well aged and high proof rye with very high or even 100% rye mash bills.  

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Barry said:

It's pretty good! And certainty a good value,  as are most BiB whiskies. But it is largely one-note to me...banana pudding. For me it suffers the same fate as most KY ryes like Sazerac or Knob Creek and others (which are also only 51% rye), in that it's only a few mash bill percentage points away from being a bourbon. That's not really a bad thing, but it isn't what I love about a rye. My favorites are well aged and high proof rye with very high or even 100% rye mash bills.  

How are these in your opinion? These were recommended by Texas Monthly

Kooper Family Barrel Reserve Rye (This is a straight rye from Ledbetter, TX)

Andalusia Whiskey Company Bottled in Bond Single Malt (from Blanco, TX)

Unfortunately I hadn't had Kooper. I'll have to see to that. Looks like they are largely sourcing and blending, but that's true of some of favorite whiskies. 

I've had both Andalusia's Single Malt BiB and their Stryker peated malt. Like any Texas malt I've had (most any US malt really), I thought they were spectacular! 

• Like 1