IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

13 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

A peach Kölsch made in the US? How many more rules can we break at the same time?

I drank a few of these last night and didn't even notice there was peach in there until you quoted me. It is very subtle, not even sweet. Not like the Shiner Cheer, which is very peachy. And it's not made in the US. It's made in Texas.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I don't remember the exact rule but to be a Kölsch you have to brew within like 50 miles of Cologne (Köln). So specifying Texas puts you even further away. It's like making Champagne in TX. Yes, you can do it, but you gotta call it sparkling wine.

Does the fact that I don't know the keystroke for an umlaut make it any better?

12 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

This was very good.

20210421_215152.jpg

Coincidentally, I don't know why but after having listened to it for years, I finally paid attention to the lyrics of that song just a few days ago!  It's very rare I pay attention to lyrics.  I'm going to look it up on my next shopping trip.

If it shows up at HEB, sure I'll try it, but not terribly interested in doing so, but figure there might be some around here that might find this interesting...

Yuengling ships secret beer recipes to Texas in armored truck

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/local/schuylkill-county/yuengling-beer-recipe-heads-to-texas/523-f73d78d1-46a5-4e7c-9050-6294edd1add4

Edited by jcarneytx

On 5/4/2021 at 8:10 PM, throet said:

I've had these two on my list to try; so picked them both up at the LLS today. Haven't had anything under 100 proof in quite a while but figured I'd give these lightweights a try. 

image.thumb.png.9ba83579bf7afa0fff2b60abbd3d1b8c.png

Reporting back on first impressions of these two whiskies. They are both good, smooth sippers. There is little to no nose at all on the Old Elk though, and while smooth and tasty, it seems almost watered down. I'd have to say that I prefer the Weller Special Reserve between the two. There's still a few lightweights on my list to try, but I've grown to appreciate the heat that comes with higher proof selections that are equally smooth in taste.  

Curious if @Barry being from NY has tried this Widow Jane 10-yr? I've added it to my list, but it's a bit pricey to take a chance on.

image.thumb.png.c57a0ad55b6cdcf2b2a748379b26db5e.png

2 minutes ago, throet said:

Curious if @Barry being from NY has tried this Widow Jane 10-yr? I've added it to my list, but it's a bit pricey to take a chance on.

I had an 8 year version of WJ--and it was slightly higher ABV. My short review from over 5 years ago is below. 

Generally speaking I don't personally find it very interesting. It's a sourced bourbon (not that there's anything wrong with that!) that's fairly low ABV, and has, IMO, a fairly low value for its price. 

Compared to, say, an Old Forester 1920? Nah, I'd buy 30 bottles of that (for less!) before I'd get a WJ.

Screenshot_20210511-191445_Liquor+.jpg

• Like 1