IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

20 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

Love the shout out to Ralph the diving pig.

Haha that's great! My first college job was at Aquarena Springs. I captained the glass bottom boat rides, but Ralph was definitely the main event.   

• Like 3

On 4/16/2021 at 7:01 PM, throet said:

Still working to collect on my long list of whiskies to try. Picked this one up today as I hadn't worked any Ryes into the rotation yet. It's really good but I'd rank others I've tried higher at this price point. Everything I've been trying over the past year has been in the $45-$60 range. If I had to stop right now and pick just two whiskies for a regular rotation, it would be the OF 1920 and the Four Roses Single Barrel. I know there is much more for me to try, but I'm finding that variety isn't as important to me as the pure pleasure that comes from something you know is going to connect instantly and intimately with your pallet.    

image.thumb.png.d82ef738c4f11210b1c9c28b9ff1267c.png

OK I'm having to circle back on this and provide some deeper insights. While I initially wrote it off as just being OK and a bit overpriced, now that the bottle is nearing empty, I've developed a real fondness for it. For one, I've grown to appreciate that the "nose" on a whiskey is really important. I remember making a snide remark on this forum a while back that I'm not interested in sniffing whiskey - just drinking it. I realize now how wrong I was about that, and this selection for me has a really powerful yet pleasant nose. In fact, I thoroughly enjoy sniffing it, and that seems to make that ultimate gulp so much more enticing and pleasurable. Secondly, I think I initially let myself get too stuck on needing sweetness from a whiskey. While there are plenty of sweeter whiskeys that I thoroughly enjoy, I'm also enjoying some like this one that aren't so sweet. Not sure if that's just a bourbon vs. rye thing, but I'm wondering now if I need to at least try some more Ryes before ruling them out. On my list to try are 1) Mitcher's Barrel Strength Rye, 2) Wilderness Trail SBBP Rye, and 3) Pikesville Rye. Let me know if you've had any of these and which you would recommend. 

• Like 1

I picked up a bottle of Kooper's Family Reserve Rye but I haven't tried it yet.  It was one recommended on a Texas Monthly article, I think it was about Texas distilleries in general.   I'll post up when I get around to it.  I also picked up Rancho de la Luna Mezcal, and 2 Hermanos Mezcal to bring to a party and we opened it.  The 2 Hermanos was super smokey and had a bit of a funk.  I would say it's interesting and different but I wouldn't buy it again.  Oak Liquor Cabinet has a much bigger mezcal selection with some write-ups on a few of them.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 8:30 PM, throet said:

First time trying this and I must say it is very pleasurable. Both refreshing and flavorful. Bockslider from Martin House Brewing in Ft Worth. 

20210410_201518.jpg

Not sure if this is a seasonal, but after weeks of returning for more at the local Texaco, the well has run dry. Picked up this one from Kreische at Randalls as a substitute. It's good, but not nearly as good as that Bockslider IMO. 

image.thumb.png.068203029b1c239c72087cfdf6d33f67.png

• Like 1

I don't get over to Total Wine near enough, but when I do go, I like to make the trip worthwhile! These are all items I've not yet tried, and first time buying a Texas based whiskey. They were pouring samples of Still Austin's Cask Strength Bourbon that I tried while I was there. It had a great nose and packed a lot of heat, but it just seemed to be missing something in the taste profile.  

image.thumb.png.333910ab87fb8c49ed3492ae878696f1.png

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 12:44 PM, throet said:

I don't get over to Total Wine near enough, but when I do go, I like to make the trip worthwhile! These are all items I've not yet tried, and first time buying a Texas based whiskey. They were pouring samples of Still Austin's Cask Strength Bourbon that I tried while I was there. It had a great nose and packed a lot of heat, but it just seemed to be missing something in the taste profile.  

image.thumb.png.333910ab87fb8c49ed3492ae878696f1.png

I've had a chance to sample all of these now and am not disappointed with any of it. However, I'm having a hard time adopting to the smokiness of that Hickory Hill. I've heard others comment that some Texas whiskeys hit you like a brushfire, and this one seems to fit that bill. Might have to end up trying it in cocktails vs. sipping it straight. That Noah's Mill is top notch IMO at its price point.   

• Like 1

I need to revisit Noah's Mill. I haven't bought a bottle nor tried it since early 2013. That's back when I prefered sweeter bourbons and hadn't thoroughly explored malts and ryes yet. I already enjoyed high ABV bourbons, so I was surprised I don't like it. At the time I dismissed it as "Too vegetal," according to my surprisingly limited notes.

Not having tried it in a long time, I assume that note means it's a relatively young (as the price suggests) bourbon. And the cereal notes are coming through more than I enjoy. I'll give it another shot.

• Like 2