IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

9 hours ago, AustinBike said:

but if I am going out to have a beer I just want a good experience, not a do it yourself and then stick you up the butt when you are done.

Like Korean BBQ. It's like when you go to a concert and they stick out the microphone and try to get the audience to sing. No asshole! I came here for YOU to sing/cook/pour! 

Well, now we have to split a bit:

Carrying my own luggage so that I don't have to tip someone to carry it and, on a plane, I don't have to wait at a baggage carousel? Priceless

Ringing up and bagging groceries? Only if it gets me out of there quicker. At HEB there are lines for checkout, but self serve is walk up almost always.

Depositing my own check? In person, hell no. With a phone? Hell yes! Bonus tip: yesterday I learned that if your customer sends you a check for "<my name> Marketing" instead of just "<my name>" the photo deposit works fine even though it is a "business check" written to a company, even though I am a sole proprietor and do not have a business account. Saw the check arrive yesterday and dreaded having to go back and get the customer to change the pay to because I had to call them and let them know they were past due. Very happy to see that check go in and show up in the account 5 minutes later. Check deposit by phone is the best invention ever.

• Like 1

The luggage thing, I will tip them and will gladly take their help.  Those with kids going on a long trip know how much of a hassle that is.  If I'm on my own or just with my wife on a shorter trip, I make a point of me wanting to deal with my own luggage.  I do love self-checkout when I'm in a hurry, but I also like going through the cashiers (except for the one guy that used to open up my eggs and touched them to check they're not cracked...).  I don't love all the baggers (I was a bagger in HS, and I'm an engineer, +a lot of them don't take their job seriously)

One new thing I'm loving is paying my restaurant bill on my phone with Apple pay by just scanning the QR code.  We almost skipped over the whole wireless card machine thing like Europe had 20+ years ago.  I always thought it was strange to have all this online security for purchases and such, and then hand your card to a stranger for several minutes, and the security for in-person purchases is a signature that I can't reliably make look decent instead of a PIN.  Now my card never leaves my wallet and security is face ID.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

The luggage thing, I will tip them and will gladly take their help.  

This∆

I have zero issues giving my money directly to the working man. Where I take issue is when some faceless cocksucker of a corporation starts cutting corners and laying people off, all in the name of profits. As they justifiably believe we're all lazy cunts, they package the whole scheme as a "convenience" to the consumer. Did the price go down as a result? Nope. Fuck them.

The whole thing makes me want to drink

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

The whole thing makes me want to drink.

Nice transition back to the topic. What am I drinking? A nice spot of Wee Beastie out of my Ardbeg mug during a mid-ride contemplative refuel at the trail head on Dale Ball Trails. It’s a good day. 
EDD9B9B4-8BA9-43CB-BCA9-8D02B15E8288.thumb.jpeg.3d5fd01819bb3a994081c87a2c03d9ad.jpeg

• Like 5

I have some Dale Ball questions for you at the next R&I. I will be in SF for the month of August. Trying to turn my bar cruiser and dog hauler into a more reasonable mountain bike. Being that it is fully rigid, what is the probability of riding Dale Ball at all? I can get a shuttle up.

Philosophizer right now, but I’ve been slacking on posting.  

Had an Independence Oatmeal Stout draft at Oasthouse Sunday night and it was fantastic.  Also their mixed drinks are pretty good. I can vouch for their old fashioned, Manhattan, and Sazerac (not all in one night!)

D65A6556-AD5D-4DF3-B930-845740FBEDF4.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sluggo said:

If I was you, I’d bring my best bike and drag the dog around with that… There’s plenty to ride close to town and I wouldn’t want to be under biked if I was there for a month. 

Or bring both. Where there's a will, there's a way. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Comfortably escaping the tejas heat in Portland Maine

IMG_20210727_162133976.jpg

Hah!  We just got back today from Boothbay Harbor.  Will have to post up some of the stuff I had.  If you head to Boothbay try the double IPA at Footbridge brewery.  Enjoy the cool weather!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.9065f0c8c3be1bfdb8242ae3096e262a.png

My sister's wedding rehearsal traditional NE clam bake dinner.  I had a lot of those summer ales, but my favorite was this:

Footbridge Brewery Double IPA (can't find a shot of it so a link will have to do) https://www.footbridgebrewery.com/beers.php?beer=38

My go-to was the Boothbay Craft Brewery Thirsty Botanist IPA (NE Botanical Gardens are in Boothbay):

image.thumb.png.4fda7853cf5ceec49687ba854fc6331f.png

• Like 3

Visited hands down the coolest brewery I've ever been to today. Flight Deck in Brunswick Maine is built on an old naval base complete with a P3 Orion parked out front. The building itself was munitions storage facility and has all sorts of military memorabilia. Beer and and pizza were really good with my favorite being the Sub Hunter imperial IPA.

https://www.flightdeckbrewing.com/

IMG_20210729_121620803.jpg

IMG_20210729_123706258.jpg

IMG_20210729_123533724~2.jpg

IMG_20210729_120509319.jpg

• Like 3

If you get a chance, go to Portsmouth and visit the USS Albacore.  It was my first time visiting a sub.  I don't think I could actually go out on a sub but for some reason I just love learning about them and watch all the documentaries and movies about them.  It was very cool being inside it.  There's tons of military hardware historic stuff up there.  My sister got married at the shipyard in Bootbay Harbor where they used to make PT boats and other type boats.  They are still working on wooden boats to this day!

• Thanks 1