IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

I went into Total Wine at Lakeline today for the first time (my usual places are Oak Liquor Cabinet or Twin Liquor on Duval and Total Wine has been curbside only until today).  I went in there with my Rye crib notes, and I couldn't believe the amount of bourbons and ryes there.  I had already picked something out for mixing that I was picking up, but I wanted to look at ryes to try out.  I think I could spend several hours there.  I did pick up another Ardbeg 10 yr for sipping though. 

• Like 3

You know you have chosen a good brewery when you can get a really good flight of different styles and they are all excellent (and you specifically don't choose the one you have had before...):

IMG_0628.thumb.jpeg.346826a459227afb1712eac8034cb154.jpeg

And then you know the brewery is extra good when your wife insists that you bring home some beer because you can't get it in Texas:

IMG_0629.thumb.jpeg.4fd7cecd5a45adb3df2a5450ee8efee0.jpeg

La Cumbra in Albuquerque- a definite must on your trip if you are passing through.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I saw that Rare Breed!  Have you had it before?

I need to take all of Barry's notes and type them up into a little paper that's easy to follow once I'm there.  I did notice the 95/5 Mash bill Barry has mentioned before.

I had the Rare Breed Bourbon before but this is the first time trying the RB Rye, based on @Barry's suggestion. Sipping on some now and it is really smooth and tasty. The 112 proof is a bit low for a barrel proof, but it packs plenty of heat. The nose is fabulous, and the combination of flavors on the palate is indescribably good to me. Just enough spice on the finish to let you know you're drinking a Rye vs. Bourbon. I was tempted by the WhistlePig 10-yr, but for now I'm trying to stay at or under $60 per bottle given how much I've enjoyed what's available in the $45-$60 range. Suppose that will change over time.  

The guy at TW tried real hard to convince me that I should get this one. Let me know if anybody's tried it. For now I'm really pleased with the RB Rye and glad I picked it up.   

image.png.2488f07cd99ef86e763c2698ba5d3fc5.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

You know you have chosen a good brewery when you can get a really good flight of different styles and they are all excellent (and you specifically don't choose the one you have had before...):

IMG_0628.thumb.jpeg.346826a459227afb1712eac8034cb154.jpeg

And then you know the brewery is extra good when your wife insists that you bring home some beer because you can't get it in Texas:

IMG_0629.thumb.jpeg.4fd7cecd5a45adb3df2a5450ee8efee0.jpeg

La Cumbra in Albuquerque- a definite must on your trip if you are passing through.

Been there a few times when we lived in the querque'. Remember really liking Marble and Nexus breweries at the time.

Oh, and Farinas pizza downtown. Of all places they had the best pizza I've ever eaten. Home slice had nothing on them

Edited by ATXZJ

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

We’re up in SF, the ABQ trip was just an afternoon, we rode the Bosque and then went to get some beer before heading back north. ABQ feels like San Antonio in a lot of ways, there is a certain edge to it.

ABQ is a hellscape. fuck that place forever

Pasquals was always a go-to in SF along with Santa Fe spirits

• Like 1

"ABQ is a hellscape" 👍 SF is missing just enough stuff regular ABQ trips are necessary though.

If only we could get someone to distribute La Cumbre or Marble here. Usually load up the car with the stuff on the home. Used be the same for SF Brewing and now I can get Happy Camper at HEB so I guess there is hope.

• Like 2

At the Tiniest Bar in Texas waiting out this gully washer.  The guy said they may close early so I told to give me 2.  Shoal Creek trail was completely flooding.  I had to literally turn around after someone from the monarch alerted me it was getting worse.

8ED641E3-005D-480C-B36E-E2A76A5E01AE.jpeg

Edited by AntonioGG
Grammar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, taco_junkie said:

"ABQ is a hellscape" 👍 SF is missing just enough stuff regular ABQ trips are necessary though.

If only we could get someone to distribute La Cumbre or Marble here. Usually load up the car with the stuff on the home. Used be the same for SF Brewing and now I can get Happy Camper at HEB so I guess there is hope.

I get 7K in Austin all the time.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, throet said:

The guy at TW tried real hard to convince me that I should get this one. Let me know if anybody's tried it.

RE: Kooper. I very likely have tried Kooper Spirits at a whisky show, but I don't recall them specifically (that usually means I didn't care for it). I've seen the bottles a bunch, but haven't gone for them because their age, price and mashbill puts in them the "probably low value for my preferences" range. Their rye is very much in the KY style, since they mashbill only has 51% rye, and that's not my preference anyway.

I do like TW, but I generally find their salespersons to give questionable advice, and they generally steer folks to the whisky they're pushing, and not the whisky they personally like. Contrast this with Spec's or Oak Liquor Cabinet, or even Deb's, where I can actually have a good conversation with someone who clearly knows and enjoys the whisky they're pushing.  

And I'm glad you're enjoying the WTRB Rye!

• Like 1

Kooper Family Barrel Reserve was one of the "From Texas" recommended bourbons on a Texas Monthly from last year.  I went out and bought a bottle...but  got the regular one not the family barrel.  It was meh. I think the Rittenhouse is a way better deal.  I'm not sure I want to bother trying the family barrel at this point.  So many other choices.

On a separate note, while watching the TdF, one of the many castles/abbeys covered was the Carthusian monks abbey, and they talked about the liqueur and how the color name came from that...so it was something I always wanted to try. It just so happened that the Oasthouse had a mixed drink with it, and I asked if I could get a shot of it, and they gave me a shot of it.  I was surprised at how strong it was.  The next time I have a cold/sore throat, I'm definitely getting a bottle of this stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Traverse was actually pretty good. The rest were your standard issue CTX beers. Facility was nice but not my kind of scene. 

IMG_20210818_183546248.jpg

Who's kind of scene is it? This place is pretty close to home and on my list of breweries to try. Are there too many astronaut monkeys? Is it because you couldn't get over the fact that the spacesuit would be useless with the monkey's tail exposed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not totally useless. If they shaved the base of the  monkey's tail, and put a pretty good gasket around the base, then the monkey inside would be fine indefinitely. Eventually his tail would freeze,  but even if it broke off, the blood would freeze and stop further issues from arising. And there is no risk of infection until he or she comes back to a non-sterile environment. So long as the suit is otherwise sound (and that tail gasket is fine), you'd have a monkey in decent shape. Although if he is out more than a few minutes, then his tail would probably need to be removed after the fact. 

Edit to add...I don't normally go for cocktails, but that Soul Fashioned at Home Slice really hits the spot with a couple of slices and some hot wings.

Edited by Barry
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Barry said:

Not totally useless. If they shaved the base of the  monkey's tail, and put a pretty good gasket around thr base, then the monkey inside would be fine indefinitely. Eventually his tail would freeze,  but even if it broke off, the blood would freeze and stop further issues from arising. And there is no risk of infection until he or she comes back to a non-sterile environment. So long as the suit is otherwise sound (and that tail gasket is fine), you'd have a monkey in decent shape. Although if he is out more than a few minutes, then his tail would probably need to be removed after the fact. 

You’re assuming the monkey is in space.  He could be on the light side of the moon and he would bleed out from his tail.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Barry said:

Not totally useless. If they shaved the base of the  monkey's tail, and put a pretty good gasket around thr base, then the monkey inside would be fine indefinitely. Eventually his tail would freeze,  but even if it broke off, the blood would freeze and stop further issues from arising. And there is no risk of infection until he or she comes back to a non-sterile environment. So long as the suit is otherwise sound (and that tail gasket is fine), you'd have a monkey in decent shape. Although if he is out more than a few minutes, then his tail would probably need to be removed after the fact. 

You're putting too much faith in the tail gasket for my liking. One fart could depressurize the suit and end the monkey. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

You’re assuming the monkey is in space.  He could be on the light side of the moon and he would bleed out from his tail.

Not really. I was actually thinking he'd be in a test chamber. I personally manage a chamber large enough that we could comfortably test a half dozen or more monkies at a time.

Back on the moon--and for our purposes here the temperature and pressure on the moon v/s deep space isn't enough to matter. And since there is no air temperature on the moon--or in space, you'd just need to train the monkey to turn his tail away from the sun. But then there is probably some scattered light (therefore some radiant heat) getting to his tail from the surface, but based on how defined shadows appear on the moon, I'd wager it's not enough heat to matter if his tail is in his shadow. 

Edit to add...the only thing better than a Soul Fashioned at Home Slice with a couple of slices and hot wings, is a second Soul Fashioned. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, notyal said:

Who's kind of scene is it? This place is pretty close to home and on my list of breweries to try. Are there too many astronaut monkeys? Is it because you couldn't get over the fact that the spacesuit would be useless with the monkey's tail exposed?

Dunno. It's weird man. Been to a ton of breweries all over the city/state/country and this one just had an odd vibe.

It started in the parking lot as it was difficult to find a space and my wife pulled next to an SUV. I was riding bitch and got out and as I walked towards the brewery a middle aged woman said "don't hit my car". I looked over and realized she and her husband were talking to me. Mind you we parked far enough away that I could open the entire door without making any contact. She then repeated herself.  I responded to her stating "why would I hit your car, it'll just damage mine". Also mentioned she's pretty paranoid about people hitting her Mazda (rolls eyes). They didn't respond after that. Wife was not pleased with my response but at the end of the night, she was done with it and said that's her first and last time there. Customers seemed full of themselves and stand offish. Staff seemed a bit overwhelmed and not particularly friendly but that's kinda common right now with staffing, so I don't blame the brewery for my experience with it's customers. 

Maybe just projecting. Give it a try and let me know if I'm just being a cunt.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Barry said:

But then there is probably some scattered light (therefore some radiant heat) getting to his tail from the surface, but based on how defined shadows appear on the moon, I'd wager it's not enough heat to matter if his tail is in his shadow. 

Where else but austinmountainbiking.com would cause me to look up the albedo of the moon? It's 0.12-0.14 for visible light according to various sources--lower than I thought.  That means the regolith and the rocks absorb a lot of heat which I'm assuming is radiated back as IR.  I couldn't find details on IR wavelengths.

All you'd need is enough heat for the blood to not freeze and that monkey is screwed.  To be safe he needs a vacuum extension for the tail (bayonet clasp?), or just tuck tail in down one suit leg...

Also, we need to compare notes on experience environmental test chamber manufacturers.  I'm shopping.

• Like 2