IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

On 8/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, AustinBike said:

I get 7K in Austin all the time.

Yeah thankfully SF Brewing makes it here as of a few years ago. But last time I tried, I couldn't get a keg of anything from SF Brewing. The others dont make it here even in cans. 😞

I like this space monkey discussion. I have nothing to add but I'm following with great interest.

Stopped by Neighbor's in Bastrop yesterday for some comfort food & drinks. Did a flight of four from their sister brewery and a pint (Marzen, Baker, Honey, Blueberry and Rivet). Wanted to try the rye and bronze but they were sold out. All in all, the honey and baker were pretty damn good.  Will definitely be back.

https://ironbridgeicehouse.com/beer-menu/

IMG_20210821_132245637.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/20/2021 at 7:04 PM, throet said:

Diggin' the Union Jack as I wind down the work week! 

image.thumb.png.5b7ce71ab6bf1543de618441e534161b.png

Firestone makes some good stuff. They were bought by Duvel Mortgaat a Belgian brand and it seems that they let them keep doing what they like instead of being bought by someone like AB were they only care about market share and want  the brewery to fall in line with what sells. This unfortunately happened to Middleton brewing not that they were bought by a big conglomerate but Middleton used to do some good Belgian styles before the other investors steered them in the direction of the status quo. Boulevard is also owned by Duvel Mortgaat and they do some really good brews. I know I'm out of the norm for what people think is good beer, I don't like IPA's at all and IPA's were not brewed for any other reason than to preserve the beer for the journey from England to India when Great Britain was settling India. There is no such thing as an IPL or a dark IPA these are just brewers renaming a beer for the sake of "being different".

On another note I just got back from a trip to LI and there's a brewery there that specializes in Belgian style beers. They do a Quadruple that is probably the best quad I've had, along with a fantastic dubbel. All of the breweries beers are brewed with locally sourced ingredients from Long Island farms. This brewery is also currently brewing beer with yeast from 130 years ago that was found in beer that was on a ship that sank off the coast of LI in the 1800's.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/business/this-beer-started-with-131-year-old-yeast/article_c919ad5e-ca54-5035-998a-07134d5e208f.html

Edited by Chief
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Chief said:

They were bought by Duvel Mortgaat a Belgian brand and it seems that they let them keep doing what they like instead of being bought by someone like AB were they only care about market share and want  the brewery to fall in line with what sells.

First off, I don’t buy breweries…yet. Secondly, being bought by the Belgians is a mark of shame.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Chief said:

IPA's were not brewed for any other reason than to preserve the beer

This brewery is also currently brewing beer with yeast from 130 years ago that was found in beer that was on a ship that sank off the coast of LI in the 1800's.

Guess it worked. Don't fuck with IPAs.

12 hours ago, Chief said:

I know I'm out of the norm for what people think is good beer, I don't like IPA's at all and IPA's were not brewed for any other reason than to preserve the beer for the journey from England to India when Great Britain was settling India.

True story. I'd be just as happy (with my stouts, porters, browns, Scotch ales, Belgiums, and occasional yellow [or even light!] beer) if they'd abandon the IPA concept altogether. Typically I'm a live and let live sort...but when OB runs out of Ten Fiddy and Old Chub, but has 9 fucking IPAs available, it's time to get militant. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, AustinBike said:

First off, I don’t buy breweries…yet. Secondly, being bought by the Belgians is a mark of shame.

When talking beer I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean by AB. If that's a mark of shame, well let the shaming begin!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Barry said:

True story. I'd be just as happy (with my stouts, porters, browns, Scotch ales, Belgiums, and occasional yellow [or even light!] beer) if they'd abandon the IPA concept altogether. Typically I'm a live and let live sort...but when OB runs out of Ten Fiddy and Old Chub, but has 9 fucking IPAs available, it's time to get militant. 

If you can ever find it I'd recommend Kasteel Tripel. 11% blond tripel malty yeasty goodness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IPAs are easy to brew, and all those hops are a crutch for an otherwise mediocre beer.

I don't mind an IPA after a ride.  I am ready for the fall to finally arrive and be done with them for a bit. Every god fuck brewery in CTX has the same styles on tap and there's always some overweight neckbeard raving about how good it is.

Blarf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Am am sequestered in my bunker so I do not have local suggestions.

If I were picking it up at the store I would go with Spaten or Hacker Pschorr. Paulaner would be a good third place winner but the first two are some of the more authentic offerings out there.

And if you want a punch, anything with "ator" at the end (like Spaten Optimator) will be a strong beer and well worth the purchase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I favor IPAs post-ride, I am pining for Germany where every town has a different selection of beers and there is nary an IPA is sight.
*Some* of the Oktoberfest beers out there are good proxies, but nothing beats the real, fresh ones there.

This! Sour beers are like cat piss to me, IPA’s are a beer of last resort. I’ll take a Kolsch over IPA on a hot day every day. Straight from the brewery in Cologne…yum! I usually try the darker selection over Pilsner at each stop. Altbier from Düsseldorf is my favorite since my wife’s uncle got me hooked on Gatzweiler at his local pub. Bock’s and some of the dark wheat beers down in Bavaria that you just don’t find here. Like AB I like how each German town has its own brands and most pubs just sell one brand. Every meal or pub stop you can try something completely different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1