IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

I like all the beer styles and I lean a lot more toward the Belgians than anything else...but there's a time and a place for most of those beers.  Beers should only be judged against their peers, not overall.  It used to be that at beer advocate anything that wasn't a Belgian had no chance at great reviews.  I wonder if it's swung toward IPAs now?  In any case, sometimes a Modelo Especial is the perfect beer, sometimes an IPA is (and I have maybe 8-10 I like and the rest are not original at all), even a sour (very picky on those) has its place.  For sure I don't want to be drinking heavy and dark beers on a boat trip or beach trip, and I wouldn't want to be drinking Modelo Especial camping in the cool weather.

• Like 2

I like all the beer styles and I lean a lot more toward the Belgians than anything else...but there's a time and a place for most of those beers.  Beers should only be judged against their peers, not overall.  It used to be that at beer advocate anything that wasn't a Belgian had no chance at great reviews.  I wonder if it's swung toward IPAs now?  In any case, sometimes a Modelo Especial is the perfect beer, sometimes an IPA is (and I have maybe 8-10 I like and the rest are not original at all), even a sour (very picky on those) has its place.  For sure I don't want to be drinking heavy and dark beers on a boat trip or beach trip, and I wouldn't want to be drinking Modelo Especial camping in the cool weather.

There is wisdom here. I drink beer for the experience 99% of the time. A cold Miller Lite on the beach or a Dos Equis with a lime after mowing the yard is a great experience. Horses for courses. I just struggle to find the right course for an IPA but if that was what I had in the cooler, I’d drink it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

This was pretty ok. Sort of a whisky sour in beer form. 

20210901_184925.jpg

I've never tasted a beer and said, "You know what this beer needs? More lactose."

I couldn't even tell you what lactose taste like (or maybe it's just for mouth feel?), but for some reason that's where they lost me. Until I read that, my interest was peaked. 

9 minutes ago, notyal said:

I couldn't even tell you what lactose taste like (or maybe it's just for mouth feel?), but for some reason that's where they lost me. Until I read that, my interest was peaked. 

For one, lactose gives us milk stouts! It sounds gross but they're usually very good. Celis has a great one, for example. Lactose adds a nice layer of subtle background sweetness with also adding a thick and creamy mouth feel.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

For one, lactose gives us milk stouts! It sounds gross but they're usually very good. Celis has a great one, for example. Lactose adds a nice layer of subtle background sweetness with also adding a thick and creamy mouth feel.  

I guess I'm just intolerant. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Barry for some of that insight.  I had to read up a bit more.  Makes sense lactose is not fermentable unless you add lactase.  I need to keep an eye out for this ingredient since I am lactose intolerant...just means I take a lactaid with it.

https://beerandbrewing.com/brewers-perspective-using-lactose-for-sweetness-without-the-cloy/

• Like 1

Been drinking whiskey neat now for many months, and finally got around to getting some proper Glencairn glasses. Tonight I'm tapping a couple of sister products - Russel Reserve Single Barrel Rye and WT Rare Breed Rye. Slight nod to the Rare Breed Rye, but both are damn good IMO. 

image.thumb.png.4de2f25c36e6e263fea535a5e97e79e5.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

I've always wanted a Glencairn, but I'm a cheap ass when it comes to glassware and the only places I look for one is at Homegoods and Marshall's when my wife makes me go with her. 

Needless to say I have had no luck on that. 

I bought the pair for $17.50, which seemed reasonable, but then again, I've never shopped for glassware before. Every other glass we own came in the form of a gift, except for a few promotional beer glasses I've picked up at festivals and such.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Haha yep that's the same set I bought under Prime - free shipping and had 'em in 2 days. Only problem is that I'm using the new glasses as an excuse for drinking more whiskey! 

• Haha 1

Had to put the hard stuff away for a bit and detox.  Damn near every gift i received for a recent birthday involved alcohol. i think they might be trying to tell me something 🤣

Got tix for this https://www.tixr.com/groups/thewhiskyx/events/the-whiskyx-austin-featuring-shakey-graves-25711

And these delicious bastards

IMG_20210831_141929470.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

"Yay! I just bought two new whisky glasses! I think I'll have margaritas to celebrate!"

While I love a good egg white whisky sour, I'm pretty sure in that in general a good margarita is my favorite cocktail. Mostly I'll just go the quick and short route of making 3/2/1s (tequila/sweetened lime juice/triple sec). If I'm feeling really irreverent I'll even forgo measuring and shaking and just pour them by eye over ice!

Although I'm also a huge fan of a really good fresh juice margarita. And Alton Brown's recipe, so far as I can tell,  is as good as it gets:

--2 fluid ounces 100% agave silver/blanco tequila (I use Hornitos Reposato)
--1 tablespoon kosher salt
--1 lime
--1/2 small Hamlin or Valencia orange
--2 tablespoons light agave syrup

I multiply the recipe by at least 6 when I do it. 
Edited by Barry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taco Flats has a nice jalapeño margarita that I've enjoyed. But I've never made a spicy one at home.They also have a spicy frozen margarita--that just seems confusing. And they have one of my favorite cocktails in town, La Dosos. It's a kind of egg white whisky sour with an Islay malt AND mescal! 

Had a chance to try a few try a few new whiskies at Total Wine today and walked away with this Stellum. I had actually never even heard of it before, but apparently it is a more affordable ($54) version of Barrel whiskey. I really loved it on the nose and palate. Believe this is the highest corn content (99%) I've ever had in a whiskey, and that must really be to my liking. The finish carried through all the way home from the store, and at 115 proof, left a nice warm feeling in the gullet. Can't wait to really get into this one! 

image.thumb.png.776bee0b35a6c00dc7239aac07795df6.png

• Like 3