IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

On 10/1/2021 at 5:13 PM, bestbike85 said:

The tide is turning. Bourbon weather is upon us. 

Funny. I think of summer as bourbon weather. And winter is Scotch weather. Summer is also great for tequila obviously. Any weather is good for rye. 

Like Raylan Givens said, “Bourbon is easy to understand. Tastes like a warm summer day.”

• Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 5:34 PM, throet said:

Where can this be found? Would love to try it out if still available. 

Sorry, just saw this. Friend gave me that one. Liked it so much, bought the Elysian 12 pack of pumpkin beers (not sold separately) at Total Wine.  And yes, Elysian missed the boat, should've called it Pumpkin Patch

16338374431697698758855190583824.jpg

• Like 1

As my whiskey journey continues, I'm trying to settle into a solid rotation. Just got back from TW, and replenished the Four Roses Single Barrel and the OF 1920, both having become staples for me. I've decided to also always keep something on hand in the $25 - $30 range for visitors who want to mix with Coke, but something that's good enough to sip on should I choose to. Finally got around to picking up a bottle of the Elijah Craig Small Batch, and I'm pleasantly surprised. This is definitely something I could sip on regularly, and for $27 will reach for regularly. 

There are so many bottles on my list that I've yet to find in stock. Pikesville Rye and Willet Rye are among those I haven't found. I'm thoroughly enjoying that WT Rare Breed Rye though that @Barryrecommended, and will always keep a bottle on hand for as long as it is readily available.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this stuff is regularly available, but just ordered a bottle for pickup tomorrow as I've heard some really good reviews on it. Apparently it's cheaper here in Texas as the reports I saw listed it retailing on average at around $55. Will report back once I've had a chance to try it. 

image.thumb.png.520402c338edcad4cfebd932a1e14494.png

• Like 1

Wife and I went to whiskey fest at fair market Thursday night. Lots of big brand conglomerates to choose from, and an easy way to get completely wrecked. Overall it was pretty fun and we got to see Shakey Graves as a bonus.

This was the only pic we took, and couldn't agree more.

IMG_20211107_071952.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 7:14 AM, throet said:

Not sure if this stuff is regularly available, but just ordered a bottle for pickup tomorrow as I've heard some really good reviews on it. Apparently it's cheaper here in Texas as the reports I saw listed it retailing on average at around $55. Will report back once I've had a chance to try it. 

image.thumb.png.520402c338edcad4cfebd932a1e14494.png

I'm on my second round with this stuff and feel compelled to give it a thumbs up. It's definitely very different from the Russel's Reserve and WT Rare Breed Ryes that I've been enjoying, which are both much closer to a bourbon profile. I'd say that I enjoy both of those more than this one, but this is very unique and worthy of an occasional pour. At 90proof it packs more heat than I would have expected, and the spicy finish really lingers. I can say with certainty that this is leaps and bounds better than the Hickory Hill 100% Rye that I tried a few months ago at around the same price point. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Is this stuff any good?

You tell me. I've never bought Templeton myself because IMO it's effectively a liqueur instead of a whisky. It contains what they call "alcohol flavoring agents" (whatever that means) so they can presumably match some prohibition era whisky style. This is kind of reminiscent of some Canadian whiskies which by law can can have a small additive flavoring agent, like juice or chemical flavor additives, for example. US law does not allow this if the bottle has the word "bourbon" on it with no qualifiers (like "bourbon with...") or any whiskey with the word straight on it with no qualifiers.  They were sued in 2015 because of their labeling practices and they had to drop some of their claims on the label. 

The unmolested whiskey in the bottle is produced by MGP in Indiana and there are scores of better (IMO) examples of this whiskey on the shelf. I've said it before, but you can't throw a baseball at a random whisky shelf in the US without breaking a bottle of "craft" whiskey that is actually just sourced from MGP...not that there is anything wrong with that. But each bottle will have a story on the back about their great-uncle's grandfather who distilled in their basement at the turn of the century. Some of it is actually good stuff though. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:45 AM, Barry said:

You tell me. I've never bought Templeton myself because IMO it's effectively a liqueur instead of a whisky. It contains what they call "alcohol flavoring agents" (whatever that means) so they can presumably match some prohibition era whisky style. This is kind of reminiscent of some Canadian whiskies which by law can can have a small additive flavoring agent, like juice or chemical flavor additives, for example. US law does not allow this if the bottle has the word "bourbon" on it with no qualifiers (like "bourbon with...") or any whiskey with the word straight on it with no qualifiers.  They were sued in 2015 because of their labeling practices and they had to drop some of their claims on the label. 

The unmolested whiskey in the bottle is produced by MGP in Indiana and there are scores of better (IMO) examples of this whiskey on the shelf. I've said it before, but you can't throw a baseball at a random whisky shelf in the US without breaking a bottle of "craft" whiskey that is actually just sourced from MGP...not that there is anything wrong with that. But each bottle will have a story on the back about their great-uncle's grandfather who distilled in their basement at the turn of the century. Some of it is actually good stuff though. 

A local distillery/venue was a client for a few years. Learned some interesting things about the “craft” distillery business.  Almost all clear craft spirits start with the same alcohol base provided by 2 US suppliers. The stuff they add like juniper in gin, etc. for their local twist goes in right before bottling.  The turn around on clear spirits is a couple of days for even small guys.  There’s quite a few whiskeys that have a similar process, but they get some aging. These guys were actually doing some 10 year stuff but they’ve got a few to go.  The hoops TABC makes these guys jump thru is insane. Lawyers love setting up the complex structures it takes to do multiple alcohol types and mixed use facilities (production, sales, consumption) to comply with Texas’ Protestant crap they try to disguise as safety. 

• Like 4