IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

21 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

New intake of pain meds are keeping me sober, post October. Thanks to @Chief for the heads up on the whitestone hop water. Definitely a new favorite! The other two aren't bad considering they're fake beer. 

IMG_20211126_170821269.jpg

I tried a hops kombucha that was pretty good.  I can't remember the brand but I pick one up after climbing at a cafe next door.  I've never been into kombucha before until I tried this brand. 

• Like 1

In terms of readily available whiskeys for everyday drinking, this is what I aim to keep in my cabinet at all times. Other selections will come and go, but I sincerely hope that these remain available. I've yet to try any Japanese whiskeys. Any opinions there? 

image.thumb.png.51bfcf27e070d7917a1e1ff0d6c1473b.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 7:35 PM, throet said:

I've yet to try any Japanese whiskeys. Any opinions there? 

I haven't tried many of them. They are certainly very much in the Scotch whisky tradition...just more expensive. But I've thought the all the ones I've had were good quality. I have noticed that like a US whisky, they tend to age faster than a Scotch. So an 8 or 10 year Japanese whiskey may taste like a 12 or 14 year Scotch. Climate, I suppose. 

• Like 2

Had this on draft at hopdoddy 4-5 years ago and never saw it offered again. That was until yesterday at TW Brodie. 

Previously pumpkin beers had a special place in hell for me, but this one is great. Initial mild  pumpkin flavor followed by a strong ale finish. Really recommend  this Save The World seasonal while it's still  available. 

IMG_20211221_173905124.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

On 12/25/2021 at 8:06 AM, AustinBike said:

A port? From where? interested, spent some time in Porto and love a good port.

No idea what port it is, although they mention the Coffee Porter whiskey barrel is aged in Four Roses. So presumably you could find out. 

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Port and porter are two different things. Just like rye whiskey and rye bread.

I'm not sure what you're on about. I'm talking about the Celis Grand Cru. It's a Belgian Tipel that's been further aged in an ex port barrel. And I don't know what port produced the barrel which was used to further age the beer. 

Concurrent they also have a Coffee Porter which they've further aged in a Four Roses whiskey barrel. Indeed these are different things. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barry said:

I'm not sure what you're on about. I'm talking about the Celis Grand Cru. It's a Belgian Tipel that's been further aged in an ex port barrel. And I don't know what port produced the barrel which was used to further age the beer. 

Concurrent they also have a Coffee Porter which they've further aged in a Four Roses whiskey barrel. Indeed these are different things. 

A porter is a beer. A port is a strong wine. Different things.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, Barry said:

How are you still confused? Re-read what I wrote!

I re-read it:

They have both a port AND a whiskey (Four Roses, I think) barrel aged version of Grand Cru on tap at the brewery! Pretty good stuff. 

As a paid author and someone that had to endure sentence diagramming with Sister Anne Stephanie in high school, I can tell you what my editor would have done:

<proper grammar> They have both a port barrel aged AND a whiskey (Four Roses, I think) barrel aged version of Grand Cru on tap at the brewery! Pretty good stuff. </proper grammar>

The confusion is that the ambiguous adjective comes up often when there is a conjunction trying to join two nouns and using a split adjective. The way this is structured, the "port" adjective is isolated from the noun.

The way you wrote it would precisely mean a port (i.e. fortified wine from Porto) AND a barrel aged version of a beer.

That is what threw me off.

But enough of that, let's drink. Even though it is 7am I am already thinking about this evening's drink menu and we are not even going anywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

The confusion is that the ambiguous adjective comes up often when there is a conjunction trying to join two nouns and using a split adjective. The way this is structured, the "port" adjective is isolated from the noun.

And yet you were the only one confused, even after a second explanation from the author. The beauty of discussion threads is that the thread itself carries context that keeps the messaging clear. In a case like this, you would have had to intentionally ignore key context to misunderstand the meaning of the multiple messages. There are names for people who would do that just to make a grammatical point, and none of those names would likely have been part of Sister Anne Stephanie's vocabulary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1