IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

14 hours ago, throet said:

How low can you go?

Every single BiB whiskey is good. Every singe one. How low can you go? Our flask whiskey these days is Evan Williams BiB. That's about $24 for a handle (1.75L). Or you can get a Mellow Corn BiB for about $12 (0.75L).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Barry said:

Every single BiB whiskey is good. Every singe one. How low can you go? Our flask whiskey these days is Evan Williams BiB. That's about $24 for a handle (1.75L). Or you can get a Mellow Corn BiB for about $12 (0.75L).

Evan BiB is currently my go-to.

• Like 3

Stopped by Celis yesterday and picked up a couple of bottles. This quad is pretty good, particularly for a local Belgian style beer. It's more fruit forward than some of the other quads but far from sour. I'd buy again.

IMG_20220502_181031384.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

Figured I'd give jester one more try. This porter sounded very interesting in the description. particularly this: 

"Pattinson Porter is a take on “a rare historical recipe for an East German Porter from the early to mid 20th century” that Pattinson brought along for the event."

Like most of JKs stuff, it's hard for me to like. Just not into their styles. To each their own and I'm sure other people really enjoy it.

IMG_20220504_182952263.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Figured I'd give jester one more try. This porter sounded very interesting in the description. particularly this: 

"Pattinson Porter is a take on “a rare historical recipe for an East German Porter from the early to mid 20th century” that Pattinson brought along for the event."

Like most of JKs stuff, it's hard for me to like. Just not into their styles. To each their own and I'm sure other people really enjoy it.

The stuff I like from JK is very select —and I like a lot of Trappist, sours,  Belgians, and weird beers (except pumpkin spice).  It’s more likely I won’t like it.  They do have good low alcohol sessioning beers but it gets pricey seasioning those bottles.

Third heavy beer day in a row, left the 17.2% for Friday. It’s very good, but I think my favorite was the KBS Hazelnut from Founders.A99D5D2D-23B5-498B-98E8-B45F36C18D8E.thumb.jpeg.a6f95fb7e8f6e672ff11be8e5d53ff62.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I think a lot of beers are better warmer than colder.  

Every time I ask a bartender to not put my stout or porter in a chilled glass, it confuses them. After I explain my position they are generally really receptive. The guy at Hopdoddy even sincerely thanked me for the education a month after our initial conversation. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TAF said:

Chilled glasses are heresy from the shitty yeller beer industry. If it needs a chilled glass, it‘s not coming out of the tap at the right temp.

If it needs to be chilled it's probably not worth drinking. Both my wife and I prefer our beer on the warmer side. But we also don't typically drink anything below 10%. I feel the bigger beers are much better warmer than cooler, for me the cold actually takes away from the flavor profile. I've taken the philosophy of drink better, drink less.

• Like 3

Anyone watch Endeavour?  It's the origin-story of Inspector Morse, set in the late 60's.  In one episode, the older detective offers Endeavour a beer, pulls out a couple of bottles from the fridge and the young Endeavour takes a drink, looks at it, and says "but it's a bitter?!" (paraphrasing).  I thought that was a cool bit in a cool show.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:45 PM, AntonioGG said:

Anyone watch Endeavour?  It's the origin-story of Inspector Morse, set in the late 60's.  In one episode, the older detective offers Endeavour a beer, pulls out a couple of bottles from the fridge and the young Endeavour takes a drink, looks at it, and says "but it's a bitter?!" (paraphrasing).  I thought that was a cool bit in a cool show.

Yup, bitters and brown ales are meant to be kept in the pantry. not in the fridge - that's where my grandpa kept his. Remember, it's not nearly as warm in the UK as it is here.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 5:22 PM, ATXZJ said:

Having spent a lot of time in Berlin, Dresden and other East German cities, I can say that the number of Porters that I have had is <checks notes>, um, zero.

All of the Porters that I have had in Europe have been almost exclusively in England and Scotland. Germany has a ton of great beers but I would be looking for dunkels, lagers and pils in Germany. If I wanted something more substantial I'd go for their "heavy beers", basically anything ending in "tor" like a good Spaten Optimator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Having spent a lot of time in Berlin, Dresden and other East German cities, I can say that the number of Porters that I have had is <checks notes>, um, zero.

All of the Porters that I have had in Europe have been almost exclusively in England and Scotland. Germany has a ton of great beers but I would be looking for dunkels, lagers and pils in Germany. If I wanted something more substantial I'd go for their "heavy beers", basically anything ending in "tor" like a good Spaten Optimator.

A Cold War Porter! Isn't that like ... having a chunk of the Berlin Wall?

• Like 1

This is a good one for any of you out there that enjoy a proper Belgium Trippel. Brewed using blue agave nectar. Very well balanced, not too sweet not too hoppy nice maltiness, and is as good warm as it is cold (for you room temp drinkers)😉 Found this at Total Wine Lakeline.

67382711972__41C531E2-7E7D-43E8-89E4-81D4F8FADBDB.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, throet said:

Last one of these beauties! Not sure I want to pay another $16 for a sixer, but they sure are good. 

image.thumb.png.e28419ff050ab22f5633eb4d325dd624.png

$16 for a sixer !? that's a bargain if you like it. Most of what I'm drinking is $15-20 for a four pack.

• Like 2

This ones been in the beer vault for a couple years. Interesting thing is this beer is bottle conditioned and I could see the yeast had been pretty busy during that time.  Made for a really, really smooth profile compared to when new. Gonna have to packrat some more for a couple summers from now.

IMG_20220519_182441470_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Oban 14.  This is more my style of Scotch. Peat without overbearing smoke and a nice finish.

It's a good one! Things which remind me of that are 1) Bunnahabhain 12 year. An Islay malt, but no peat added. But someone 3 campsites away is burning some peat in their campfire. And big sherry notes without punching you in the nose with it. And 2) Springbank anything. Also great but I'm not as romantic about it.

• Like 1