IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

Picked up another great low-cost BIB to try and have been really pleased with it. As @Barry has noted, seems you can't really go wrong with any of the available BIB selections, no matter the price point. On the other end of the spectrum, my neighbor turned me on to a side-by-side comparison of Wellers 12-yr and Wellers Antique 107. Hands down the 107 was my preference. In fact, I didn't really care for the Wellers 12-yr at all. Suppose it all comes down to individual preference as folks are paying $250 per bottle for that stuff.  

image.png.c29377e13cb7a0c70015bfb16a42a68b.png 

• Like 2

Yeah, I like OWA107 far better than W12. Although the hunting game for any Buffalo Trace whisky is pointless to me. Did you hear about the 400+ person lines a various Spec's locations the past few days? Nope thanks. 

For my wheater preference Maker's Mark Cask Strength is DAMN close to OWA107. And higher ABV and cheap and available. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, throet said:

Makers and Makers 46 both come in a cask strength. Do you have a preference between the two? 

I certainly have a preference. In general I don't enjoy "finished" bourbon. For the most part cask finishing, or stave finishing in the case of MM46, mostly serves to add sweetness. And bourbon is already sweet. I do like many finished ryes and malts. 

So yeah. Regular MMCS. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GFisher said:

Nice! I gather you are working there? You guys just in VA for the short term?

Thanks man!

Kind of an apprenticeship situation for me as I'm trading free labor for free training. Totally lucked into it since they were located in the B&B i was staying in. Brewing was something i always wanted to try and they needed some help and were generous enough to teach me. 

We're heading to Nevada via Austin next month, and want to open a nano distillery there in the future. 

Time will tell on the latter

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New Orleans is not much of a beer town.

IMG_0665.thumb.jpeg.8feebb19a4e575ef1dd8d8925d7fdd36.jpeg

Three different breweries, all of the IPAs were ok, one good one, the rest, just ok. Porter and ale choices were ok. Kinda mediocre, they love their big brand lagers, the microbrews weren’t much to write home about.

Good cocktail town.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, AustinBike said:

New Orleans is not much of a beer town.

IMG_0665.thumb.jpeg.8feebb19a4e575ef1dd8d8925d7fdd36.jpeg

Three different breweries, all of the IPAs were ok, one good one, the rest, just ok. Porter and ale choices were ok. Kinda mediocre, they love their big brand lagers, the microbrews weren’t much to write home about.

Good cocktail town.

Try some from Gnarly Barley out of Hammond. Only other near NOLA I like is Abita. It’s fun to ride the rail-to-trail from Mandeville up to their brewpub too. 😬

When in OK it's okay to experiment with the local product. 

This "tonic" claims to be "strawberry" flavored. And for sure it's got a little strawberry on the nose. But in flavor it's 100% tart blood orange with almost none of that "green" you expect. So I knew it would kill in a typical 3-2-1 (+40ML of the tonic for 2 drinks) margarita. 

Introducing the CrossFadeMarg (not sure why the Tripple Sec didn't make the photo.) 

20230425_162813.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 9:23 AM, throet said:

Picked up another great low-cost BIB to try and have been really pleased with it. As @Barry has noted, seems you can't really go wrong with any of the available BIB selections, no matter the price point. On the other end of the spectrum, my neighbor turned me on to a side-by-side comparison of Wellers 12-yr and Wellers Antique 107. Hands down the 107 was my preference. In fact, I didn't really care for the Wellers 12-yr at all. Suppose it all comes down to individual preference as folks are paying $250 per bottle for that stuff.  

image.png.c29377e13cb7a0c70015bfb16a42a68b.png 

I did not like this.  My wife’s grandpa liked Early Times—the cheap one in the plastic bottle.  We bought him nicer stuff and he refused it.  So after the anything BIB recommendation, this is the first one I got.  I can’t remember the details but it was off-putting to me.  It could have been a bad memory association with having it on those retirement home/dentist little solo cups (was not supposed to have it there!) Glad you liked it for yourself though.  I still try other BIB stuff and like pretty much everything BIB.  I may give it another shot now that my palate has developed some more, just out of nostalgia.

Today it was a beer day.  We went to this brewery and had excellent Strombolis and pizza (thin crust.) super popular with families with small kids btw.  Got myself a crawler to go.  Made with 100% Nelson Sauvin Hops, hence the Willie Nelson album name.IMG_3592.thumb.jpeg.6b5e6b844945883535231ce9c1f7931b.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I did not like this.  My wife’s grandpa liked Early Times—the cheap one in the plastic bottle.  We bought him nicer stuff and he refused it.  So after the anything BIB recommendation, this is the first one I got.  I can’t remember the details but it was off-putting to me.  It could have been a bad memory association with having it on those retirement home/dentist little solo cups (was not supposed to have it there!) Glad you liked it for yourself though.  I still try other BIB stuff and like pretty much everything BIB.  I may give it another shot now that my palate has developed some more, just out of nostalgia.

Sorry you didn't like it. Personal preference definitely plays into what makes it into the regular rotation. I finally got around to picking up a bottle of the Jack Daniels BIB last week and while I'll keep enjoying it until it's gone, it's not something I'll buy again. Seems to have that same Flintstone vitamin flavor that some of George Dickel's stuff are notorious for. My go to BIBs are Early Times and Evan Williams. Been meaning to pick up a bottle of Old Tub BIB to try as well. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Today it was a beer day.  We went to this brewery and had excellent Strombolis and pizza (thin crust.) super popular with families with small kids btw.  Got myself a crawler to go.  Made with 100% Nelson Sauvin Hops, hence the Willie Nelson album name.IMG_3592.thumb.jpeg.6b5e6b844945883535231ce9c1f7931b.jpeg

Nice. I dig that place. Some good beers and the stromboli is mighty tasty. Parking is the only real negative.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:01 AM, throet said:

Sorry you didn't like it. Personal preference definitely plays into what makes it into the regular rotation. I finally got around to picking up a bottle of the Jack Daniels BIB last week and while I'll keep enjoying it until it's gone, it's not something I'll buy again. Seems to have that same Flintstone vitamin flavor that some of George Dickel's stuff are notorious for. My go to BIBs are Early Times and Evan Williams. Been meaning to pick up a bottle of Old Tub BIB to try as well. 

And I really like the Evan Williams. This is why I want to try the ET again! 🙂

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 10:18 AM, AntonioGG said:

And I really like the Evan Williams. This is why I want to try the ET again! 🙂

I picked up a bottle of Old Tub BIB earlier in the week to try out for the first time, and my initial impression from the nose was that it was a real winner. However, from start to finish on the palate, it was just sort of meh! I'll of course finish it, but I think I'm ready to just settle into a regular rotation of the following cheap bottles - WT 101, ET BIB, EW BIB, and OG 114. 

• Like 2