IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

9 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I found that if I set my iPhone to JPEG I was able to upload.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't see any setting for JPEG just high efficiency or most compatible which is what mine is set to. This probably doesn't matter but I have no issues on other forums.

Edited by Chief

Noticed that the neighborhood Texaco is carrying some beers from Whitestone Brewery. Picked up a six of the Lovely Day IPA and a six of the Long Gone Blonde. Both are good and the Blonde has a really distinct flavor that I'm enjoying as a summer beer. 

image.thumb.png.f51d48458d3230256e043d0b0d2452a1.png

image.thumb.png.0201b767aea9ffcfc7e387450ac4c923.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I picked up some 10yo Ardbeg.

Nice. Arbeg is my favorite Islay distillery--I think they have a great range, and I've never had a bad or even mediocre product with their name on it. If you want to see what that 10 yr is like younger, then bump down in price to the also very good 5 yr Wee Beastie ($35-40). I find it a little more malty, more smokey, but less woody. If you want to see what it's like a little older (although it's No Age Statement) with high ABV, move over to Corryvreckan ($80sh). There you'll find deep smoke with some woody notes. And if you want to add a bit of sweetness to the mix, go for my all time favorite malt, Uigeadail ($70ish).  It's everything the Corryvreckan is, but with a sherry sweetness added to the party. 

This is effectively their core range, but they have a few limited releases each year that are outstanding. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barry said:

Nice. Arbeg is my favorite Islay distillery--I think they have a great range, and I've never had a bad or even mediocre product with their name on it. If you want to see what that 10 yr is like younger, then bump down in price to the also very good 5 yr Wee Beastie ($35-40). I find it a little more malty, more smokey, but less woody. If you want to see what it's like a little older (although it's No Age Statement) with high ABV, move over to Corryvreckan ($80sh). There you'll find deep smoke with some woody notes. And if you want to add a bit of sweetness to the mix, go for my all time favorite malt, Uigeadail ($70ish).  It's everything the Corryvreckan is, but with a sherry sweetness added to the party. 

This is effectively their core range, but they have a few limited releases each year that are outstanding. 

The Wee Beastie is what I intended to get but Total Wine did not carry it and I was giving them a shot.  I will probably go back to Total Wine since I was very impressed with their Willamette Valley Pinot selection.  Usually around this time of year we'd be in the Portland area visiting my brother trying as much food, beer, and wine in the area as possible.  Sadly that trip will have to wait, but I'll still try to drink all the wines I can.  🙂

• Like 1

TW&M is the only place I've seen Wee Beastie yet. It's a very new malt and although it's now in Ardbeg's core range, it isn't widely available yet. I saw it at the Arboretum store for about 3 consecutive weeks, but I got one of the last bottles two weeks ago before my trip. When I got back to town I went back to Arboretum to collect another, but indeed they were out. But Saturday I dropped by the Cedar Park store and they had probably 12-15 bottles. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on the Wee Beastie. Got ours from Spec's Brodie but you can search their stores online through curbside. Really good balance of malt/smoke, and goes down smooth on the rocks or neat. Especially for the price.

Would we buy again? For sure, in fact the bottle is damn near empty😁

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Have you had Old Beluga at pinthouse? I really like that as an amber. Bought some Circle amber and really don’t like it, almost enough to dump the 2-3 remaining cans. If that one is close to OB I might want to check it out.

I haven't. Looked on menu and appears to be seasonal(?) I do like the electric jellyfish though, so i'll keep an eye out for the OB. You might see if HEB or SPECs ETC are doing singles of the 8-track and give it a try. It's more malty than most ambers and doesn't have a strong profile but that sometimes makes a good table beer.

17 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Picked up some Wee Beastie.  It's very good and it's interesting contrasting it to the 10 year.  The 10 year has more peat.  The Wee Beastie is more woody to me.  Both very good, one way cheaper than the other.  Thanks Barry!

X2 on this one. Definitely a good one for ballin' on a budget

17 hours ago, throet said:

Tried some of that myself recently - not too shabby! 

Glad you liked. Gonna dig into another round in a few myself.

Against @Barry warning, I went ahead and gave the balcones bourbon a try. As he said not the smoothest by any means but I kinda expected for being corn based at that price. After tax week, my finances needed a bit of a break so balcones it was🤣

IMG_20200718_201717266.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any gin drinkers out there? Trying to pare down my liquor cabinet a bit before adding some new stuff. Unopened 1.75 L.

Anyone interested in a making a semi-reasonable offer for trade? Beer, wine, liquor, whatever.... a sixer of something local and tasty would be sweet.

Free for pickup if you have paid anything forward to me. I'm in NW Austin.

IMG_20200723_111236220_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 4:41 PM, AustinBike said:

Good gin. I'm a fan of Hendricks but Bombay is fine spirit. Someone will enjoy that.

Enjoy Hendricks as well. Have you tried the still Austin gin? Rye based and pretty tasty.

Edited by ATXZJ