IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

14 hours ago, throet said:

Had a chance to try a few try a few new whiskies at Total Wine today and walked away with this Stellum. I had actually never even heard of it before, but apparently it is a more affordable ($54) version of Barrel whiskey. I really loved it on the nose and palate. Believe this is the highest corn content (99%) I've ever had in a whiskey, and that must really be to my liking. The finish carried through all the way home from the store, and at 115 proof, left a nice warm feeling in the gullet. Can't wait to really get into this one! 

image.thumb.png.776bee0b35a6c00dc7239aac07795df6.png

I was mistaken about the mash bill on the Stellum bourbon. The 99% corn is only from one of three MGP sourced bourbons in this blend, the other two being high rye. Then there are additions from Tennessee and Kentucky blended in as well.

Apparently there are bourbon selections on the market that are made from 100% corn, not to be confused with Corn Whiskey. Might seek out a bottle of the Balcones Texas Blue Corn Bourbon to see what that is all about. 

• Like 1

Found these rare offerings at bad ass local gas station. None of the Spec's I went to had the founders editions.  So far the High Ball Drifter is a bit sweet (for me) but overall really, really good beer. 

If you live around the dirty south, check this place out. Their selection is killer.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Beer+Geek/@30.1390254,-97.8475112,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8596cac60a0386fc!8m2!3d30.1390254!4d-97.8475112

IMG_20210909_162852395.jpg

• Like 2

Keep the Oktoberfests coming!

Hit up Altstadt Sunday while in Fredericksburg. Was pretty disappointed overall as all they had on tap, was what you could buy at any store. Place also felt like we were eating at a Bavarian Luby's. Chicken schnitzel was pretty good though.

IMG_20210912_134309571.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

I had the shiner octoberfest yesterday its pretty good..and just picked these up at twin liquors..fistful of bourbon on sale for 20 right now and I usually don't spend 20 on wine but when I do Brady is one of them ..out of California but owner is from hill country and says land is similar so played Bluebonnet homage 53ac55a2c497b5d4b4c2180e7c7256c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Another trip to TW this weekend and picked up a couple of bourbons I hadn't yet tried. I've enjoyed the GD #12 on the rocks in the past, but hadn't tried any Dickel product since I started drinking whiskey neat. Saw both good and bad reviews on their new 8yr BOURBON (yes a Tennessee whiskey labeled bourbon). At $29 it was hard to go wrong. It's not bad tasting, but seems watered down to me. Has no chance of becoming a daily drinker when I can spend a bit more and get Four Roses Single Barrel. 

The Breckenridge 105 is actually really good and has that creamy mouth feel that I've grown to appreciate. I admittedly have not advanced my tasting skills enough to pick out specific flavors on the nose or palate, but I know when something smells and tastes appealing. Worth picking up for $52.99, but there may be better options at that price point. I'm by no means a whiskey connoisseur, but my collection is finally starting to grow, with 4 bourbons and 2 ryes in my cabinet right now. I'm at a point where I'm still trying new stuff, but also going back to the shelf for the value bottles that I know I'll love, like Four Roses Single Barrel and OF 1920.   

image.thumb.png.4c65a1824275a941365e984e9151ecd8.pngimage.thumb.png.7cea2c264f45d5648f243446a2009091.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 4

On 9/2/2021 at 8:01 PM, throet said:

Tonight I'm tapping a couple of sister products - Russel Reserve Single Barrel Rye and WT Rare Breed Rye. Slight nod to the Rare Breed Rye, but both are damn good IMO. 

This guy came to the same conclusion as me but with a much better ability to explain the differences. I had initially subscribed to a dozen or so of these whiskey reviewers on YT, but have since dropped all but a few, including this guy, whose no-nonsense approach and keen insights shine through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was also watching quite a few whisky reviewers at one point. Now I only watch Ralfy--and not even every episode. I probably look forward to his Extras more than his reviews. 

The prize for worse whisky YouTube goes to the ATX local Whiskey Tribe. The only thing worse and more annoying than them, is their fans. I'm pretty sure they're all PewDiePie fans.

I'm currently doing a working/bike trip to view our new BrokenArrow facility.  5 consecutive days of riding that kicked off with DORBA's JudgmentDay. (Turns out a 111 mile trail ride is a tough way to start a trip.) But the relevant thing is my go-bar. I've included a couple of my favorite cheap travel whiskies, including Wee Beastie and EW BIB. 

Screenshot_20210928-081102_Gmail.thumb.jpg.01a3c2bf628061972270aa4d108d5443.jpg

• Like 2

If I could pick anybody in the world to be my neighbor, it would probably be this guy. He comes across more as an expert mixologist / old school bartender than a whiskey connoisseur, but still does plenty of whiskey reviews. I like the way he doesn't try too hard to pull every flavor note out of what he samples, instead just giving an opinion on whether he enjoys it or not, and why. He's also good about sharing his opinion on what not to waste your money on.   

• Like 1