IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

Okay, been to some pretty cool breweries but this one definitely stands out. The old Studebaker mansion has been converted to a restaurant, and upper level a brewery. Beer was okay but the facility was unbelievable.

IMG_20220219_150837066_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_152445250.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

When you tell me the beer was just OK and you were in South Bend, then, honestly, at least you got beer out of it. Indiana is basically, well, um, at least you got OK beer out of it.

If you make it up to Detroit, there are some awesome breweries up there.

I could never see the Midwest again and be fine. However, my youngest is here registering for college so we're making the best of it. Admittedly south bend was better than expected.

Detroit is definitely on our list for the fall semester, with founders being high up on that list. 

Ultimately I'd like to do a MTB trip up to copper harbor if I can finagle it.

Edited by ATXZJ

Suppose I should be concerned when my drinking posts outnumber my biking posts, but what the hey!

Settling into a nice whiskey rotation, but there is still much to try. I'm a bit limited given my $60 max per bottle, but I finally got around to picking up this one that's been on my list based on reviews I've seen. It's definitely good and different, but at $59 I would have preferred either the WT Rare Breed Rye or the Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye. In fact, I could have grabbed a Knob Creek Single Barrel Select Rye at 115 Proof which I haven't tried, but suspect would be more to my liking than this one.   
image.thumb.png.7016d2688bfe0eda13019e09bc79b0c3.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Somehow I have landed on the PR list for some company. I get these emails every week with new beers that they want me to write about. The bad news is that I don't ever write about beer so I am not going to be doing that anyway. The other bad news is, well, look at the "beer"...

2136001174_ScreenShot2022-02-28at1_26_07PM.thumb.png.312173750ce1adad38fb606bde99a3e9.png

Do they send you the beer or expect you to find it, buy it, drink it, then write about it?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 10:38 PM, Barry said:

@throet have you gotten over to Oak Liquor Cabinet? Add then to the rotation if not. That's the last place I picked up Willet Rye. And I'd bet they currently have Pikesville on the shelf. (Although maybe not since the Heavem Hill worker stike has slowed production.)

Finally got over to Oak Liquor Cabinet and was amazed by the selection! I could have easily knocked 4-5 sought after picks off my to-try list. Ended up settling for the Evan Williams Single Barrel and the 1792 Full Proof Single Barrel Select, both of which are excellent and unique relative to everything else I've tried. These will remain firmly in my rotation as long as I can keep getting them. The folks over there are very courteous and helpful too! Best news is that it is literally 2 minutes from my new office location. 

• Like 3

My wife was DD for our date night.  We went to the new Jack Allens in Cedar Park and I tried a few bourbons.

Started with Eagle Rare 10y Old Fashioned.  Very good and wish I’d tried it neat.

For dessert I tried Treaty Oak barrel 770 paired with their blonde brownie pie (XC Ellen)  Very very good.

0DE5700A-7050-4FEB-8AD3-E72E891C2736.thumb.jpeg.6263cee8b047c109a37ccaa1b56fdc70.jpeg

To finish I tried this stuff from Utah. It was a very different rye.  At first I didn’t like it but it grew on me.

0926175A-DBAD-4A18-A5E9-FECB47643305.thumb.jpeg.dca6e85e28b7d7d7bd2cee38cafa59c9.jpeg

Now I gotta go burn some calories off.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, AntonioGG said:

To finish I tried this stuff from Utah. It was a very different rye.  At first I didn’t like it but it grew on me.

I love High West. They're one of 'merica's best whisky experimenters. And they're one of the "craft" distilleries who, IMO, did it right. They didn't try to push out their garbage whiskey as "premium" (I'm looking at you, Garrison, Peerless, Hudson and countless others), and so grossly overpriced that the buyer had to pretend it was good. No, while they were distilling and aging their own whisky, they sourced and blended good whiskey from the likes of MGP, Alberta, Dickel and others (a Scottish tradition) and let you know that is what was going on! In the process, they created one of the top 5 whiskies available in the US, A Midwinter Nights Dram. And now they're blending and selling their own distillate while continuing to source good whisky. 

I've bought 3 different finished HW Double Rye bottles. 1 was pretty good, and the other 2 were spectacular. The pretty good one was branded Yippee Ki-Yay and was a regular release for them. YKY was finished in syrah and vermouth barrels. It was very popular, and kind of the poor man's AMwND. but it was not my favorite. Another great one was finished in (I think it was) chardonnay. And HW does a barreled Manhattan cocktail that's pretty excellent. And my favorite finished Double Rye, was finished in their own Manhattan cocktail barrels!

But Aquavit finished? Yikes. I'd like to try it...I don't think I'd like it. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, throet said:

How low can you go? I'm trying to find the bottom of drinkable daily whiskey pours. I had settled into a nice rotation under $30, but now I'm testing the water under $20. This Old Grand Dad BIB ain't too shabby! 

image.thumb.png.1376da0d7a2b7e2c36ca4e0f7d889db8.png

Under $20? I admire your dedication😁

Had good luck with this one in the "accessible" price-points:

https://specsonline.com/shop/spirits/jim-beam-bourbon-double-oak/

• Like 1