IGNORED

1Up Bike capacity

If One-Up specs 3 bikes and your hitch is rated for a tongue weight to accommodate the weight of three bikes and the rack, you should be golden.

If yours is a Class 2 hitch (as most aftermarket and OEM hitches for sedans will be), the tongue weight rating of 300 lbs. should more than cover the application.

Class 2 looks like this cl2.gif and is bolted to OEM holes in frame members engineered for the load.

A Class 1 hitch has 200 lbs. tongue weight rating and would look something like this cl1.gif and usually requires drilling holes in sheet metal to mount,

If you have a Class 1, it may be easier to upgrade to a Class 2 hitch than to try to brace it up for added capacity.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

It is class II. But when I say bracing I guess I really mean something to make sure the rack doesn’t back out of the receiver. A u-lock was what I had in mind. Just need to find the right size solution for the job. Right now it has a Velcro strap, I want something more secure. 

1up says 150 pounds of bike weight, pretty sure 3 bikes will be under 90 at least.

Something like this, maybe a little smaller. Goes through the loop on the hitch and then through the rack. If I can find something smaller, or maybe a heavy duty chain I can get a better fit. Right now there is about 2” of slack, need to take the time to undo the rack and see if it could come completely out of the receiver or not. 

B547F694-7184-4E33-89F4-89835C2336A5.jpeg

of course seth broke his 1 1/4 1up by putting 4 bikes on it.

here is the original mojo post with picture

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/14-austin-voodoo/245048-another-1-up-rack-question.html#post1346968

if you plan on even semi regularly carrying more than 2 bikes, get the heavy duty for sure. I had the 1 1/4" one up rack and with 3 bikes if flexed like crazy and was scary to watch. going down the highway and hitting humps/dips in the road would make the rack flex about 6-8" vertically. it was crazy.. then at one point for a shuttle run at cat mtn, I very briefly put 4 bikes on it (its only rated for up to 3) and the entire rack snapped off with $20k worth of bikes on it and skid down the street like a sled. thank god it didn't tip over and all the bikes were completely unharmed.

Edited by crazyt

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Why not a hitch lock?  1up doesn't give you one with it?  At the least a hitch pin.

They have a different type of system. I do have a hitch lock on it, but it only prevents someone from removing the rack from the car, it does not prevent the rack from sliding out of the receiver should it ever come loose.

Have also considered moving to a 2" receiver. The 1-1/4" receiver is a vestige of my very first hitch which was class I on a car. Since that time all racks and hitches had been 1-1/4", upgrading one or the other at different times. If I ever had to go to a new rack and hitch simultaneously, I'd go with the 2".

5 hours ago, CopeIt said:

You can but just the parts to convert to HD on their website. Reuse your trays and get the new hitch pieces.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is an option. $110 for the rack parts. $200 for a new hitch installed. Sadly that comes to over $300 to solve the problem, which is why I have been investigating the real limits of the rack. If I was hauling several bikes on a regular basis, moving to 2" would be a no-brainer, but 99% of the time there is a single bike on the rack, so it is a bit harder to justify the $300 spend.

Beware, just because the hitch has a certain tongue weight limit, that doesn’t mean that the car it’s attached to magically has the same tongue weight limit. In many cases the factory mounting points on unibody chassis (cars and smaller SUVs) are actually on the same parts of the car body that are designed to be crumple zones. My Outback has a 200lb tongue weight limit, period. Doesn’t matter what kind of receiver I mount to it, I can never have more than that. Hitch mounted racks complicate things by creating a long lever that significantly alters the force being applied to the hitch. Bumps in the road can momentarily weight the end of that lever to the point that it completely overloads the vehicle and bends the frame. Two bikes isn’t going to do it, but 3 enduro bikes on a longer enough rack could be getting close. 4 bikes is a recipe for disaster unless it’s a truck with a class II or better receiver bolted to the frame rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Nissan has a 350lb tongue weight, the rack claims a 300lb max. 

Rack is 23lbs. Trays are 18lbs (36 total). That means 59 pounds for the rack, plus 3 bikes. Assuming 30lbs each to be conservative (my Niner is definitely less) then we are looking at under 160lbs, all in.

I think being close to half the limit of your Nissan is probably great for an unsupported load on the hitch. I mainly wrote my reply for anyone else reading in case they were tempted in to thinking that bolting a class II receiver to their sedan would magically allow it to shuttle 4 DH sleds to Spider Mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, crazyt said:

of course seth broke his 1 1/4 1up by putting 4 bikes on it.

here is the original mojo post with picture

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/14-austin-voodoo/245048-another-1-up-rack-question.html#post1346968

"if you plan on even semi regularly carrying more than 2 bikes, get the heavy duty for sure. I had the 1 1/4" one up rack and with 3 bikes if flexed like crazy and was scary to watch. going down the highway and hitting humps/dips in the road would make the rack flex about 6-8" vertically. it was crazy.. then at one point for a shuttle run at cat mtn, I very briefly put 4 bikes on it (its only rated for up to 3) and the entire rack snapped off with $20k worth of bikes on it and skid down the street like a sled. thank god it didn't tip over and all the bikes were completely unharmed."  - Seth in the past in his post about this exact issue

and crickets! 🤦‍♂️

19 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

I was driving behind one with two bikes on it... It was certainly moving around a lot.

That kind of movement must cause wear over time.

with a one up rack, or another brand? if one up,  did you not tighten the cam in the hitch bar, or was something loose? even my 1 1/4" one up was super solid and didn't really flex at all with 1 or two bike trays. I only got flex with 3 and 4 trays with bikes.

the one up rack is the best rack you can buy and is super super solid despite what happened to my original 1 1/4 hitch bar with it breaking when I overloaded it. that as my fault and its no longer an issue with the 2" hitch bar and heavy duty side plates. however, with 4 bike trays and 4 bikes loaded up, there is some diving-board-like movement  from the rack but between the weight, the long leverage of 4 bikes/trays, and the flex of the structural aluminum I think the amount of movement is just fine. even though im mentally scarred and always imaging the rack breaking again full of bikes in my head any time im driving with full capacity loaded up haha