IGNORED

Solo Road Tripping to Wyoming to MTB. Seeking tips.

Heading out in a couple of weeks on my first long solo road trip to Jackson, Wyoming to ride MTB's with friends that live near there in Victor. I have 16 days total and will probably stay in hotels on the way there and back. Thinking about bringing minimal camping gear for a night or two in the outdoors. I have a tent, and sleeping bag and not much else. What else would I need to camp? It's been awhile. 😉  My route will take me through Waco to surf at BSR Surf Park and then head up through Denver to see a ball game at Coors Field. So, was thinking about doing a ride in Colorado Springs. Has anyone ridden there? I have the MTB Project app, but wanted to hear of any first hand experiences with trails around there. Once I get to Wyoming/Idaho, my friends have tons of rides they do, but would like to hear from a Texan's perspective if anyone has ridden up there, too. TIA! Happy trails!

If you are just passing through Colorado Springs for a day, Palmer Park and Cheyenne Mountain State Park are easy to find and good riding. Garden of the Gods is scenic, but not particularly challenging. MTBProject show a few more parks, and then there are plenty of out and backs with climbing. If you can get a shuttle you could design a ride that brings you back to town. Just remember to ride early as there are often afternoon showers. thunder storms, and even hail at higher elevations.

DAMHIK about afternoon weather in Colorado Springs, that is a Rocky Mountain Slushee running down the trail between my feet.

Johncicle.jpg.260d7008fb167451ee5b2324c9925bc9.jpg

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

I’ve ridden more north of CS so others may have better suggestions, but don’t skip some great stuff if you have the time. On the north side of Denver / Boulder you can hit either Hall Ranch or Heil Ranch (Picture Rock). Both in Lyons. Or in Loveland / Fort Collins the Devils Backbone open space or Horse Tooth Reservoir trails. All short detours off the interstate heading to WY.

If you don’t have time for a full ride after Denver you can session for a bit at Valmont Bike Park in Boulder. Jump trail, slope style trail, flow trail all within site of your car.

If your friends haven’t suggest it, Curt Gowdy SP west of Cheyenne is a blast too. Several big granite boulder play areas to session along the trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

If you are just passing through Colorado Springs for a day, Palmer Park and Cheyenne Mountain State Park are easy to find and good riding. Garden of the Gods is scenic, but not particularly challenging.

I second this.  I was in Colorado Springs for a couple days.  I always managed to run into someone who was willing to let me tag along on their ride.  Super friendly.  I also hit up the area north of the state park:  (probably about this route, but since someone else was leading I'm not sure.)

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/270021/chutes-gold-camp-rd-buckhorn-captain-jacks

• Like 1

Other people with more personal knowledge can handle the 'trails ride' recommendations. But I have recommendations fro planning your trip.

I plan to drive not more than 4 or 5 hours most days. I try to plan a ride that is about that distance away. So on a trip to Moab (hitting only the high points, not every ride)

Palo Duro Canyon (Amarillo)

Taos NM

Durango CO

Phil's World (Cortez CO only about 2 hours from Durango but not to be missed)

Moab UT

Return Trip

Fruita CO

Breckenridge CO

Colorado Springs

Palo Duro again

Waco

We never felt like were just trapped in the truck for hour after hour after hour.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input. I had a great trip riding at Valmont Bike Park in Boulder on the way up, then rode a lot of National Forest (?) trails around Teton Pass in Wyoming, and spent a couple of days at Targhee Resort, also in the Tetons. Spent one night each in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, then rode at Harriman State Park. That place had the only semi-flat terrain I rode over the whole trip, and was smooth and sandy, and of course , beautiful! I finished it off with an OTB crash over a cattle guard in Gunnison, Co. on the way home .(Had to crash at least once, even if it was .2 mi. from the end of the last ride of the trip.) Lots of happy trails, though! And the weather, OMG!

Edited by woomie
  • Like 2