IGNORED

Injury Reports

17 hours ago, throet said:

The MRI went well I guess but I won't know the results until tomorrow. I'm trying to be optimistic but it's really hard. The doc put me on crutches yesterday and told me I really should not be bearing any weight on the leg.  I did really heavy icing for the first 48 hours but there is still a massive amount of swelling 5 days post injury. Also turning purple now.       

Bummer! As suspected, hamstring tendon is detached. Good news is that it came off the bone clean and will be easy to anchor it back on surgically. Long road to recovery ahead unfortunately.  

image.thumb.png.502b7ab2bae075ed4e724cc9cf72bd37.png

On 7/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, AntonioGG said:

Is your hamstring balled-up?  If you completely tore the tendon, you'll noticeably see it balled up.  For me, when it happened, I had zero doubt about what just happened.  I hear an internal pop, see a flash of light, then noticed the balled up muscle.

I asked the ortho about this because the ED doctor had said the same thing. You can see from my MRI report that the muscle only retracted a few centimeters. The ortho said is actually less common for them to ball up but that it does happen. The good news for me is that the tendon will be right underneath where they make the incision and they won't have to go digging for it. Maybe it's because technically the tendon didn't tear - it just peeled off the bone. 

That "flash of light" reference is interesting. I've broken bones, tore ligaments, had major lacerations, etc, but this is the first injury I've had where that "flash" sensation just overcame me. When I first felt the pop, I immediately started assessing my situation and how I would get off the mountain. Just as suddenly though, I was overcome with that flash of light, lightheadedness, and nausea. My thought process immediately shifted to "I'm f*cked" as I lowered myself to the ground.    

Edited by throet

2 hours ago, throet said:

Bummer! As suspected, hamstring tendon is detached. Good news is that it came off the bone clean and will be easy to anchor it back on surgically. Long road to recovery ahead unfortunately.  

image.thumb.png.502b7ab2bae075ed4e724cc9cf72bd37.png

Sorry to hear this!! Hope you heal quickly and the operation goes smoothly! Long recovery period for an avulsion, be diligent about following the Doc orders for mobility afterwards and would anticipate you'll be back to 100% in the late winter to spring time. If you get back to it too soon it can become a chronic problem! 

15 hours ago, throet said:

Better solution! 

5b5ehBC947113.jpg

I wish I’d thought about that!  I did resort to the can in my pocket when I broke my ankle, but this looks better!

have you upgraded your crutch tips?  The stock ones are scary in wet surfaces.  Just because you’re not riding doesn’t mean you can’t be upgrading stuff!

• Like 4

I successfully navigated my insurance landscape and saw an Ortho on Friday. He said the knee feels loose, maybe an acl issue. MRI on Monday. At this point I'm struggling to walk any distance without pain which sorta puts a damper on my family trip out west this next week and my 40 miler in Telluride in two weeks. I mostly want to make sure I recover as fully and quickly as possible.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

I successfully navigated my insurance landscape and saw an Ortho on Friday. He said the knee feels loose, maybe an acl issue. MRI on Monday. At this point I'm struggling to walk any distance without pain which sorta puts a damper on my family trip out west this next week and my 40 miler in Telluride in two weeks. I mostly want to make sure I recover as fully and quickly as possible.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Focus on fixing the leg first. The worst thing you could do is ignore it and end up in surgery for something that could have been prevented. You may want to get a knee brace for your trip, even if the doctor does not recommend it. Just an extra level of protection to keep you in the right position. But, if you ask, the doctor would probably say it can't hurt, even if they don't recommend it.

I have some cheap knee braces from skiing if you want to borrow one. It's not the robocop looking one with the metal braces, just the softer flexible ones.

12 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

We'll be volunteering down in Ilium Valley, near the end of lap 1.  Be sure and wave.  With the major change in the route, Lap 1 should be much much easier without Black Bear Pass,  so there's that.  If ya can't ride the T-40, you can sign up on Tobin's volunteer list on facebook. 

Edited by June Bug

10 minutes ago, June Bug said:

We'll be volunteering down in Ilium Valley, near the end of lap 1.  Be sure and wave.  With the major change in the route, Lap 1 should be much much easier without Black Bear Pass,  so there's that.  If ya can't ride the T-40, you can sign up on Tobin's volunteer list on facebook. 

Thanks. Yes, at this point, I'm more likely a volunteer than participant. I've pedalled a little this past week but nothing stressful and I'd rather not be 20 miles out when my knee decides to go kablooey or when I have a mechanical that forces me to walk any significant distance. I want to see what exactly is messed up in there before I make any final decisions.