IGNORED

Injury Reports

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

Hope your surgery was a total success today, old man! 

Make sure you get on here with some good drug induced post-surgery deep philosophical manifesto about mountain bike riding and tire choice...those area always the best 🙂

Take care, dude!

I second this remark.

Also, have someone take your credit card away while on the meds!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Man, these injury threads really make me second guess my willingness to leave the house!

For those of you are recently injured or still recovering: Keep up the PT, listen to you Dr's and PT's. If they aren't pushing you, find a different one.

I had a pretty nasty Bucket Handle Tear on my meniscus on top of a partial MCL tear on the same knee back in 2011 and recovery sucked. I skipped leg day for too long and didn't keep my PT up. It took years instead of months before I would say I was 100% again. It's actually one of the big reasons I got into MTB because the pedaling motion helps my joint and was a good way to build strength. If I had stuck with my PT I think I would have recovered and been more active much sooner than I was. 

• Like 1

Home resting comfortably with loving wife, which is a reminder of what's truly important in life. Surgeon told her that the procedure went according to plan.

Really got to think about the details with these things. The one question I had was how the hell am I going to be able to sit on a toilet? Surgeon said good call out and had the nurse arrange for my wife to pick up an apparatus that attaches to the toilet, raising the seat 4.5 inches with upright handles on the side. Haha can't wait to try it. 

Thanks all for the well wishes and good humor. A real must for getting through these things. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

"Good news is that it came off the bone clean and will be easy to anchor it back on surgically."

I was just agreeing with your above thought.

Yep all good. The procedure was completed in an hour with no need for grafting a new tendon. Unfortunately it's still a brutal recovery though and probably not something I can ever be 100% after. The one hamstring that stayed on the hip nearly ripped in half at the muscle/tendon junction, which will mean a lot of scar tissue forming where there should be muscle. 

Will probably be susceptible to cramping once I return to full activity and the reattached tendon on the other muscles will likely be at greater risk for coming off again. I think that would be more of a risk for sprinters, basketball players, football players, etc but welcome feedback from anybody who's had a serious hamstring injury and returned to mountain biking. 

Edited by throet

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Also, have someone take your credit card away while on the meds!

Darn when the doc said he was giving me Norco I was already planning to hit their website to browse the latest models. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, throet said:

Really got to think about the details with these things. The one question I had was how the hell am I going to be able to sit on a toilet? Surgeon said good call out and had the nurse arrange for my wife to pick up an apparatus that attaches to the toilet, raising the seat 4.5 inches with upright handles on the side. Haha can't wait to try it. 

Thanks all for the well wishes and good humor. A real must for getting through these things. 

At least it's not a wiping hand injury.  Wiping with the wrong hand, it's so awkward!  (Try it).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Never ceases to amaze me how topics just segue into the oddest diversions you dont see coming

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's only natural any injury related thread is going to transition to a butt cleansing discussion

• Like 2

Most of you probably don't know Jay (853) but he busted his collarbone at Muleshoe back in the day. He told me the biggest challenge he had working through the injury was 25 years of always wiping his ass with his right hand. As a precautionary measure, I might start trying to alternate.

One week post-op. Still mostly just laying in bed since I can't sit comfortably. Getting around pretty good on the crutches though when I do decide to move. Finished all of my pain meds and just taking ibuprofen now. Trying not to think too much about my prognosis in relation to mountain biking, but when I do think about it, it's worrisome. I've started looking at medical journals chronicling this type of injury, and while it seems clear that I'm better off having had it repaired than I would be otherwise, I'm still puzzled over where the science really is in re-attaching tendon back to bone, especially for something that stretches as much as the hamstring. I'll be asking a bunch of questions at my first post-op appointment later this week, and some are probably questions I should have been asking ahead of the surgery.    

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Stop looking at medical stuff.  Just be ready for PT and watch this over and over, and have it in your head when you're doing your PT (I always do):

Haha what's $6M in today's dollars? I'm afraid I'll be falling far short of affording a recovery like that one.  

15 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Stop looking at medical stuff.  Just be ready for PT and watch this over and over, and have it in your head when you're doing your PT (I always do):

I agree with this.  Practice going "nah nah nah nah" and trying to move in slow motion when you do something cool.  Your body is different and your recovery will be different so all you can do is get serious about the PT and make it happen.  

• Like 2