IGNORED

Injury Reports

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 3 weeks post-op and still pretty much laying in bed most of the time. I try sitting for a bit every day, but just end up squirming around trying to find a comfortable position. Understandable I suppose considering the multiple anchors that are still holding my hamstring tendon onto the sit bone. Hopefully once those get absorbed, the pain will diminish. When I'm not careful, it seems I end up aggravating the sciatic nerve and dealing with excruciating pain for several hours. I'll be really glad when I can start moving around in a few weeks and start PT.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Kind of a weird injury situation for me. Sprained my ankle really bad playing basketball a few weeks ago (went for a rebound and landed on my foot at an angle and lucky nothing broke). It still hurts a lot when I turn my ankle in any direction and put pressure on it at the same time. I have to go down stairs slowly and getting in and out of my car can be a chore at times. But I have absolutely no pain when I ride my bike. I've been riding 3 days after the injury happened, hitting jumps and all and as long as I have a nice pedal platform I'm good. Friends find it weird that I can go shred on my bike, but then have a limp when I walk. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, radiantm3 said:

Kind of a weird injury situation for me. Sprained my ankle really bad playing basketball a few weeks ago (went for a rebound and landed on my foot at an angle and lucky nothing broke). It still hurts a lot when I turn my ankle in any direction and put pressure on it at the same time. I have to go down stairs slowly and getting in and out of my car can be a chore at times. But I have absolutely no pain when I ride my bike. I've been riding 3 days after the injury happened, hitting jumps and all and as long as I have a nice pedal platform I'm good. Friends find it weird that I can go shred on my bike, but then have a limp when I walk. 

I had a shoulder injury kinda like that (twice actually). I could ride no problem, but couldn't lift my arm above my head. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief said:

You don’t realize how much work your ankle does to keep you balanced when walking. When you’re riding your ankle doesn’t rotate like when you’re walking. 

No wonder I can't walk straight! Had an MRI due to a torn anterior tibialis tendon a few years ago, and the MRI result incidentally indicated that 2 of the 4 ligaments in my ankle were completely severed from past trauma. Nothing but snap, crackle, pop coming from the ankles these days. 

Edited by throet
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, throet said:

No wonder I can't walk straight! Had an MRI due to a torn anterior tibialis tendon a few years ago, and the MRI result incidentally indicated that 2 of the 4 ligaments in my ankle were completely severed from past trauma. Nothing but snap, crackle, pop coming from the ankles these days. 

Holy shit ole timer! This is not a competition, ya know?

hope you get it worked out and you're  back out showing these damn single speeders the right way to do it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

Holy shit ole timer! This is not a competition, ya know?

hope you get it worked out and you're  back out showing these damn single speeders the right way to do it!

Haha with all of my injuries and ailments I was going to donate my body to science. Then that story came out about the desecrated corpses at a Phoenix donation center. No way my schlong is ending up in a bucket! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

I'm scheduled for knee arthroscopy tomorrow. I've been riding and feel pretty good on the bike, minus hard standing efforts, but walking is just not right

Good luck with the scope tomorrow. Meniscus? 

11 hours ago, notyal said:

I had a shoulder injury kinda like that (twice actually). I could ride no problem, but couldn't lift my arm above my head. 

Me too. Strangest thing.

Happened with a groin injury too. I could barely walk with it but could ride no problem. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Me too. Strangest thing.

Happened with a groin injury too. I could barely walk with it but could ride no problem. 

You could still lift your injured groin above your head?

Amazing. That should give Throet something to strive toward.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Good luck with the scope tomorrow. Meniscus? 

Thanks. No, meniscus was intact. Chunks of cartilage were floating around and there was damage to cartilage on condyle of femur so some smoothing and possible micro fractures or fissures or something. This Percocet is calling on me to take a nap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 8:02 PM, Yosmithy said:

After multiple arm and shoulder surgeries I learned to become wipebidextrous

A friend took a fall downslope while hiking and broke both wrists.  He and his wife had to take their relationship to a whole new level. 

Don't break both wrists! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

How's it going?  Started rehab yet?

I start my PT next Wed. Saw the doctor today and he told me to start weaning off of the crutches. He suggested 3-4 months of rehab before I'll be able to resume normal activity. I'm thinking maybe first 6 weeks with PT and then rehab on my own from there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Hasn't he been doing 12 ounce curls since day one? 🍺

Actually I was good the first week since I was taking narcotics. But from week 2 on - yes daily 12oz curls. Hoisting a Stash IPA right now in fact but it's getting a bit light. Believe I should replenish for added weight!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, throet said:

Actually I was good the first week since I was taking narcotics. But from week 2 on - yes daily 12oz curls. Hoisting a Stash IPA right now in fact but it's getting a bit light. Believe I should replenish for added weight!

Sometimes reps are more important to recovery than the weight. 😈

• Like 1

For anybody curious about how tendons get reattached to bone, 2 of these anchors were inserted into my right sit bone. At 6 weeks post-op, sitting is still very uncomfortable. Hopefully that's just due to everything still healing up and not because of the hardware that's now part of me. 

Screenshot_20190822-211646.png

• Like 1

Based upon getting stainless into bone, twice over a dozen years, it may take from a year to 18 months before it is no longer noticed. After a few months it wasn't so much "pain" as it was a hyper-awareness of a something-is-different-feeling.

In the mean time, you can hum Anchors Aweigh to pass the time, distract yourself, and maybe even annoy others nearby each time the devices remind you of their presence. :classic_smile:

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Based upon getting stainless into bone, twice over a dozen years, it may take from a year to 18 months before it is no longer noticed. After a few months it wasn't so much "pain" as it was a hyper-awareness of a something-is-different-feeling.

In the mean time, you can hum Anchors Aweigh to pass the time, distract yourself, and maybe even annoy others nearby each time the devices remind you of their presence. :classic_smile:

This is great feedback! Initially it feels like I'm sitting on a golf ball but after a few hours it's throbbing with pain. Just going to give it more time and avoid sitting for now. 

Yeah, I think of it as along the lines of how the tailbone gets sore when you first start riding, but the more often you ride the less it is likely to get sore. The bone takes time to adapt itself to new forces, higher level usage, and other aspects such as injury probably fall into that category.

You are eating the bacon regularly, aren't you? 🥓🥓 I don't know if it will help, but it sure tastes good!

Also, if you haven't seen these already ...

https://amazon.com/s?k=tailbone+pillow&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1