IGNORED

Injury Reports

13 hours ago, throet said:

Started PT today. Will be slow and easy for a while but it feels good to be doing something. How's it going with you @Anita Handle? Are you rehabbing yet? 

Yo, thanks for asking. I had my arthroscopy done three weeks ago as of today. Was able to jettison the crutches after 24 hours and do an easy, easy bike ride within one week. No PT with a therapist but I've been doing the prescribed exercises and inching up the ride time by 5 or 10 minutes every day or two as my knee allows. I rode for 1.5 hours the day before yesterday and it was a bit sore the next day. 

Overall, I think I'm recovering like I should be but it does suck to be losing fitness as the days slide by with no intensity.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

Yo, thanks for asking. I had my arthroscopy done three weeks ago as of today. Was able to jettison the crutches after 24 hours and do an easy, easy bike ride within one week. No PT with a therapist but I've been doing the prescribed exercises and inching up the ride time by 5 or 10 minutes every day or two as my knee allows. I rode for 1.5 hours the day before yesterday and it was a bit sore the next day. 

Overall, I think I'm recovering like I should be but it does suck to be losing fitness as the days slide by with no intensity.

If you've got a gravel or road bike doing some light spinning on a hike and bike might help you get there a little quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief said:

If you've got a gravel or road bike doing some light spinning on a hike and bike might help you get there a little quicker.

It's good to see Anita Handle getting some spins in. I'm 6+ weeks post-op and all I can do on the stationary recumbent is move the pedals back-and-forth in the mid-zone. The focus for me initially is isometric exercises and gentle static stretching, along with getting back to normal walking gait mechanics. Overstretching the hammy at this stage could spell disaster for me; so I'm going to just take it slow and easy with gradual progression for another 6 weeks.  

• Like 3

For me, after my ankle break, the most depressing thing was losing 3" in calf circumference (they measured that and range of motion on my first day), but it came back fairly quickly just working hard at it.  Y'all keep hitting the PT as hard as the Dr. allows you.  You'll get there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief said:

Oh yeah, I'm strictly on the streets and hike and bike path. I can't tolerate any hard jarring and want to avoid the chance that I would need to suddenly catch myself with my affected leg like we have to do more often than we realize when riding off road. 

• Like 2

Fortunately I haven't been injured, but with all the humidity I've been riding my gravel bike everyday for the last 30days doing 20miles a day. The fitness level is night and day. Good luck to all of you injured riders and keep in mind the only thing you're missing right now is HEAT AND HUMIDITY.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 4:37 AM, TheX said:

Kick its ass. My PT started with slowly using a hand bike with one hand. Every day got better, it's worth the pain and effort.

Just finished my third week of PT. Initially I was on the recumbent bike and could only move the pedals back and forth without full rotation. Now I'm spinning comfortably on the upright bike, albeit with little resistance. Also squatting pretty deep on a machine that adjust to neutralizes your own body weight, but still lets you work on range of motion. Still have to go up stairs one at a time, can't reach my right foot, and have not resumed driving yet. Overall though, my spirits are much higher now and I've also resumed my upper body gym workouts along with all of my at-home PT exercises. With the initial prognosis being 6 months to full recovery, I'd say I may actually be a little ahead of schedule but I don't want to get over optimistic. Getting ready to buy a new HIIT machine for the house so that when I do end up getting back on the bike, I won't be suffering on the cardio side. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, throet said:

Also squatting pretty deep on a machine that adjust to neutralizes your own body weight, but still lets you work on range of motion. 

The moon machine is what I called it.  I had to do treadmill wearing that harness.  I hated it but got me up and walking faster.

Great to hear your spirits are higher.  Awesome news on the progress!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

Getting ready to buy a new HIIT machine for the house so that when I do end up getting back on the bike, I won't be suffering on the cardio side. 

How about a  gravel rig? You can come do some miles with me in the mornings. It definitely improves your cardio.😀 I think I'm somewhere around 800 miles since July 22.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, June Bug said:

Has anyone thought about aqua jogging for knee rehab?  Can be boring, but it's zero impact in the water, so could be a nice respite from the heat at  Barton Springs or Deep Eddy.   You can even do structured workouts: runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/aqua-jogging-for-runners/

I haven't considered such a thing. I don't have easy access to a pool. It *feels* like riding is good for the knee but I think I have a tendency to go harder than I should and end up sore for a day or two. Or maybe I should be sore. IDK.

• Like 1

Having broken the Tibia Plateau on both legs (a decade apart), each required hours of surgery and bling in the form of Stainless Steel, I can share how both of my surgeons emphatically recommended bicycling as the best therapy for my recovery.

The way it was explained to me:

• Riding builds up the muscles that support the knee, so even if the repaired injury is not as strong as it used to be the Quads and other muscles can take up the slack if they are kept in good shape.
  • Riding also circulates nutrients to the knee joint, which is the ONLY way those building blocks for repair get to those places that do not have blood circulation to carry stuff to where it is needed.

Before I could ride after surgery the first surgeon suggested sitting on a table edge and swinging the leg back and forth as often as I could to help get the good stuff into the joint where it was needed, and also to reduce accumulation of scar tissue in the joint. After the second injury I was provided a machine that cycled my leg through range of motion while I slept. That machine made recovery from the second surgery much easier.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

I bought my XC bike while I was still in rehab and hardly able to walk yet. I knew I wasn't going to be doing my old style of riding for a long time, but I was back at Walnut about 3 months in. It was HARD at first, but I got though it. Cycling helped me not just physically, but mentally as well. I learned to really like this bike.

• Like 1