IGNORED

Injury Reports

Coming up on 3-months post surgery next week and the prognosis is looking good. Sitting down comfortably is a non-issue now, and that had been one of my biggest concerns. Played 9 holes of golf with my kid this past weekend, and the PT told me yesterday I should start spinning around the neighborhood on my bike. I've been doing a wide range of stretching and strengthening exercises at home, and am up to 20 minutes of high-intensity interval training on my new machine. I think the key for me now is to listen to the doctor and PT and not try to rush back too quickly. My right leg is still much weaker than my left, and I really need to get back to full strength before I resume aggressive trail riding. Also the doc says that it really takes 5-6 months for that reattached tendon to really heal up completely. My goal is to be back doing my normal riding before Christmas, but in the meantime, life is good!!! 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, throet said:

Coming up on 3-months post surgery next week and the prognosis is looking good. Sitting down comfortably is a non-issue now, and that had been one of my biggest concerns. Played 9 holes of golf with my kid this past weekend, and the PT told me yesterday I should start spinning around the neighborhood on my bike. I've been doing a wide range of stretching and strengthening exercises at home, and am up to 20 minutes of high-intensity interval training on my new machine. I think the key for me now is to listen to the doctor and PT and not try to rush back too quickly. My right leg is still much weaker than my left, and I really need to get back to full strength before I resume aggressive trail riding. Also the doc says that it really takes 5-6 months for that reattached tendon to really heal up completely. My goal is to be back doing my normal riding before Christmas, but in the meantime, life is good!!! 

Good to hear man! Don't get silly and re injure that leg👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 7:34 AM, Chief said:

Good to hear man! Don't get silly and re injure that leg👍

Had my first proper trail ride in 4 months today. Rode Picnic and then rode the trail along the creek to get over to Peddlers. Felt really good on Peddlers and probably could have pushed it even harder but I proceeded cautiously. Put in a second lap for good measure. Stalled getting up out of the creek on the first lap but cured that the second time around. Overall I didn't feel like I was missing much on those two laps, in terms of either strength or stability. Tested my lungs pretty well too on the second lap as a couple of riders were coming up behind me and I didn't feel like getting passed. Figure I'll use Picnic and Peddlers as my training ground for a couple of weeks to see how I progress but it felt soooo nice to be out riding and PP was in superb condition.    

• Like 4

Had my first proper trail ride in 4 months today. Rode Picnic and then rode the trail along the creek to get over to Peddlers. Felt really good on Peddlers and probably could have pushed it even harder but I proceeded cautiously. Put in a second lap for good measure. Stalled getting up out of the creek on the first lap but cured that the second time around. Overall I didn't feel like I was missing much on those two laps, in terms of either strength or stability. Tested my lungs pretty well too on the second lap as a couple of riders were coming up behind me and I didn't feel like getting passed. Figure I'll use Picnic and Peddlers as my training ground for a couple of weeks to see how I progress but it felt soooo nice to be out riding and PP was in superb condition.    
So glad to see your are bouncing back. I know it's not your preferred style but SN is alot of good rolling miles. Easy 10 to 15 miles. That will be a good Christmas present for yourself getting back to your beloved DD rides

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Officially 4 months post-op now. My recovery rides have graduated to 1/4 Notch W-E, which was normally a no-dab ride for me. I'm having to use more gears now though and I'm not attacking anything, which is resulting in a few dabs. Overall though it feels great to be out on the trail and pushing myself a little bit. As tempting as it is to stay in a higher gear and just motor up and over stuff, I want to give myself the recommended 5-6 months for full recovery.    

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 8:18 AM, throet said:

Officially 4 months post-op now. My recovery rides have graduated to 1/4 Notch W-E, which was normally a no-dab ride for me. I'm having to use more gears now though and I'm not attacking anything, which is resulting in a few dabs. Overall though it feels great to be out on the trail and pushing myself a little bit. As tempting as it is to stay in a higher gear and just motor up and over stuff, I want to give myself the recommended 5-6 months for full recovery.    

I finally managed a no-dab ride on 1/4 Notch W-E but I have bigger problems now. Seems that the 9 rides that I've done over the past month have really aggravated my sit bone where the hamstring tendon got reattached. It didn't bother me at all initially but is now getting progressively worse with each ride. Probably going to lay off riding for a month or so and then try again. Might have to start looking at saddle alternatives. 

• Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, throet said:

I finally managed a no-dab ride on 1/4 Notch W-E but I have bigger problems now. Seems that the 9 rides that I've done over the past month have really aggravated my sit bone where the hamstring tendon got reattached. It didn't bother me at all initially but is now getting progressively worse with each ride. Probably going to lay off riding for a month or so and then try again. Might have to start looking at saddle alternatives. 

So I laid off for another month after aggravating my injury and finally took a short 1-hr ride yesterday. Ended up pedaling out of the saddle for most of the ride due to the discomfort from sitting. Saw the doc today and he said that he is not surprised by that at all given the anatomical changes around my sit bone from the surgical repair. Where there used to be a clean tendon attachment, there is now a mass of scar tissue. I'm considering trying an Ergon Comfort saddle with the gel inserts. Anybody here who has tried one of those or who has sought out alternatives due to sit-bone pain? While my pain is a direct result of having my hamstring tendon surgically reattached, I understand that there are others who suffer from chronic tendonitis is that same area.

At 6 months post-op my options seem to be 1) settle for short rides, 2) try comfort-oriented saddle, 3) get a season pass at Spider and switch over to full-time free riding / dirt jumping, or 4) sell my bikes and get a OneWheel.      

1 hour ago, throet said:

So I laid off for another month after aggravating my injury and finally took a short 1-hr ride yesterday. Ended up pedaling out of the saddle for most of the ride due to the discomfort from sitting. Saw the doc today and he said that he is not surprised by that at all given the anatomical changes around my sit bone from the surgical repair. Where there used to be a clean tendon attachment, there is now a mass of scar tissue. I'm considering trying an Ergon Comfort saddle with the gel inserts. Anybody here who has tried one of those or who has sought out alternatives due to sit-bone pain? While my pain is a direct result of having my hamstring tendon surgically reattached, I understand that there are others who suffer from chronic tendonitis is that same area.

At 6 months post-op my options seem to be 1) settle for short rides, 2) try comfort-oriented saddle, 3) get a season pass at Spider and switch over to full-time free riding / dirt jumping, or 4) sell my bikes and get a OneWheel.      

I vote for 3 and I will go with you. Sounds like fun

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throet said:

5) Give it more time

Edited by Yosmithy
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear about the setbacks. Hopefully all that you need is time. 

My knee has healed more slowly than I expected. August was my surgery, I think I started my PT about 5 weeks after it was prescribed. Still doing it and doing my homework. Leg(s) are getting stronger in all sorts of strange directions of force application but I still get soreness if I ride or hike too hard. I went ahead and had a post-op MRI on Friday since my deductible is paid up and I'm having lingering pain. I'm sure it'll be within normal range of health but I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong.

At least I can stand and pedal out of the saddle now and can do ~an hour of ledgy technical riding. I'm glad for that progress.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, throet said:

What saddle are you riding? If it's a WTB it might be too narrow and putting pressure on the scar tissue area. Something wider might help. I'd let you take one of my Fizik saddles for a spin to see if that might help.

13 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Is there any chance that the shape of the saddle edge could be the issue?  It may be worth contacting Ergon with your specifics to see if there are any specific ones they recommend.

Not really sure on that. The saddle on my primary bike is an SDG Belair 2.0, which is narrow at 140mm with minimal padding and a rear rise. For me it was the perfect pedaling platform and I could be comfortable riding on it all day. The saddle I'm considering is the Ergon SMC4 Comp Gel which comes in size M (144mm) or size L (155mm). Based on my measurements, the M is recommended, but I'm trying to understand the downside of going even wider. I may try contacting them directly as you suggest.

12 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

5) Give it more time

Yeah that's probably a good idea. Let's face it though, at our age, time is no longer a commodity. I may try riding with you guys tomorrow and see how it goes. If I need to lay off for a while longer, so be it.

12 hours ago, June Bug said:

I'm considering trying one of these for future tours: spiderflex.com/index.php  Most saddles are comfortable for an hour or two, but all day in the saddle hurts at the sit bones. 

That is an interesting design for sure. Based on some of the testimonials, it seems to work wonders. If you get one, let us know all of the pros and cons. I'm thinking something like that will be a last resort for me. 

2 hours ago, Chief said:

What saddle are you riding? If it's a WTB it might be too narrow and putting pressure on the scar tissue area. Something wider might help. I'd let you take one of my Fizik saddles for a spin to see if that might help.

Mine is narrow (140mm) and that has worked fine for me in the past. I have narrow hips (minus the love handles) which should translate into smaller sit bones. I could probably get an exact measurement off of the X-Ray they did in the ER after my injury. Anyway I am definitely going to try something wider - at least 144mm. How wide is your Fizik?     

• Like 2