IGNORED

Injury Reports

So, over the last couple of months I've been having chest pain when my heart rate stays over 150 for too long. I've also been getting dizzy after punchy climbs.  I decided to go to the Dr. to get it checked out. I was scheduled to go in for a chest xray (because I've also had a chronic cough) and a stress test. Those were supposed to happen last week. But then, Wednesday happened. I was out riding the Southies with a few friends. We were transitioning between Valero an Whirlpool, heading for the veloway stuff. We were on the sidewalk on Brush Country when my front tire slipped off of the edge. I heard a zipping sound and down I went--totally body slammed the concrete and completely dislocated my elbow. Thankfully, I was with a firefighter (Karen) and two guys who have had wilderness first aid training (Tony and Hoss). Karen tended to me while the guys went back for our car.

At the hospital, they tried to reset the elbow, but it wouldn't stay in. Turns out part of the humerus has chipped off and was in the way. They had to operate to remove the bone chips and repair the tendons around the joint. I'll be off the bike for at least 3 months and I may never be able to completely straighten my arm again. It really sucks dirty balls. On the upside, I know I don't have the Covid. 

Pinche sidewalks.

(Oh, and I'll be going for that chest xray in the next couple of weeks.)

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear about the injury. I broke my elbow and cannot straighten my arm fully. I worked really hard in physical therapy and it's pretty close. I can touch the top of my shoulder so that is a win (known other people that could not after the break). Not a fun road to recovery but modern physical therapy will get you back in no time! Sending you healing vibes!

• Like 2

On May 8 I was getting in a quick before-work ride.  Rode across a sort-of skinny which is actually the edge of a concrete drainage ditch thing...i can't really describe it.  Anyway, there is really busted-up concrete on the left, and about a 3-foot drop on the right, with about a 12-inch edge separating them.  Took it too fast and my front wheel rolled right off the edge.  I landed hard on the busted-up concrete, mostly on my left arm/shoulder, and my bike landed 3 feet below.  The bike was fine.

This is right near a homeless camp, and all I could think about while I was lying there moaning and groaning was the probability that I was going to be raped by a hobo who would then steal my bike.

That didn't happen, and I miraculously did not seem to have re-broken my left elbow, but my shoulder hurt like hell.  I was, however, able to stand, so I walked around and down to my bike, got it back up to where it had fallen from (one-handed), and pushed it on back home.  Fortunately I was less than a mile from home.

Wife took me to the doc and x-rays showed a proximal humeral fracture - I had broken my shoulder.  Shoulder blade and collar bone were unharmed.  And the fracture was minimally displaced so he had me in a sling for a week and then light physical therapy.  I stayed off the bikes for a few weeks and started back riding road on June 13.  PT is going well and I have really good range of motion, but not 100%  I think I'll get there over time, though...I've broken enough bones to know that regaining the first 80% of ROM takes about 20% of the recovery time (2-3 months), and the last 20% takes the other 80% of the time (about another year or so).

I was really lucky this time, folks.  No surgery, relatively little pain, and my typing was pretty much unaffected (I work in IT).  I should be back on the trails in another couple of weeks, once I'm sure the shoulder can take that kind of punishment.

-cls

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So made myself an appointment for the Heart Scan CT and it was scheduled for this AM at the RR location.

I had already gone through the screening process and all that. Showed up and filled out the paperwork and paid the $99 

I was taken to radiology and waited. Was there quite awhile and finally nice lady asked me who my primary care Dr was. I informed her I dont have one and I had not seen a Dr in like 15 years. 

Apparently you cant get this done unless you have a Dr to give the results to.  So no go they could not help me out. Now the wife is making me find a Dr. 

Owell. I think it would be sort of funny if my heart explodes today after all this.  BTW, the people there were super nice and apologetic.   It is what it is so nothing at all negative toward them at all.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My turn, I had a pleasant ride on SN Sunday morning, weather was good, bike was doing good. about 1/4 mile from the car I carelessly drifted off the trail and jerked back on to the trail right through a sapling stump cut 2-3" high. OTB I went with my bike somersaulting behind me. Somehow, I got away only with a good scrape on most of my right forearm, a decent scrape on my right knee and a dirty bike. I'm pretty shocked that It wasn't worse but fortunately it was on a pretty smooth/soft section of SN. In the 10 minutes it took me to hit the ground and stop rolling all I could think of was this thread and what I was in for...

• 1 month later...

Dangit!  My turn again.  My first encounter with a motor vehicle.  I got right-hooked.  I'm not going to lay blame or take blame or turn this into that type of discussion, but I'm a firm believer in my ability to put myself in a situation were I have escape options, and I didn't this time.  I'm lucky to have gotten off with a bone chip on my shoulder, 3 stitches on my finger and some road rash.  I got completely checked out and I'm up and about doing easy chores after watching the TdF final stage.  My bike is another story.  2019 Roubaix with a cracked fork, cracked seat stay, probably some other damage in addition to its road rash.  My helmet saved my life.  EMT said it would have been a different call otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Dangit!  My turn again.  My first encounter with a motor vehicle.  I got right-hooked.  I'm not going to lay blame or take blame or turn this into that type of discussion, but I'm a firm believer in my ability to put myself in a situation were I have escape options, and I didn't this time.  I'm lucky to have gotten off with a bone chip on my shoulder, 3 stitches on my finger and some road rash.  I got completely checked out and I'm up and about doing easy chores after watching the TdF final stage.  My bike is another story.  2019 Roubaix with a cracked fork, cracked seat stay, probably some other damage in addition to its road rash.  My helmet saved my life.  EMT said it would have been a different call otherwise.

Damn Antonio! Glad you’re okay and sorry to hear about your bike. Stick with the MTB. The trees don’t move like the cars.

Heal up brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Damn bro so sorry to hear about your mishap. Really fortunate that you came out of it as well as you did. Is the bone chip in the scapula or the acromion? Pavement don't play! Heal up so we can get out and ride the trails.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, throet said:

Damn bro so sorry to hear about your mishap. Really fortunate that you came out of it as well as you did. Is the bone chip in the scapula or the acromion? Pavement don't play! Heal up so we can get out and ride the trails.  

Thanks!  To be honest, I stopped playing close attention after he said, "head CT is clear and shoulder has a tiny chip, no surgery needed".  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Dang, so sorry to hear this, but I am glad it was not worse. Heal quickly and completely!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Holy crap. Heal up dude, that sucks to hear.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 4:59 PM, AntonioGG said:

Ouch!  Glad you escaped relatively unscathed! Heal fast!  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 4:59 PM, AntonioGG said:

Sorry to hear. As others have said, glad it wasn't worse. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...