IGNORED

Injury Reports

• 2 months later...

NBR but I'll go ahead and post it here anyway. 

Got a quote on trimming my trees that were growing into the house. Instead decided to save $680 and do it myself. Was up on the ladder sawing a 4in diameter branch off a Live Oak. Once the cut was nearly complete, the branch bowed down as I expected it would. As I finished the cut, I expected the branch to fall down and away from me. Still not sure exactly what happened, but the moment I completed the cut, the thick part of the branch that I just cut away catapulted into my face, putting a sizeable gash in my upper lip. As is generally the case with these things, all of the urgent cares were closed, meaning I ended up at the ER paying $580 copay / coinsurance to get 3 stitches.   

image.thumb.png.bc118b229f889c244a0921cbdefb83a3.png  

• Sad 7

10 hours ago, throet said:

NBR but I'll go ahead and post it here anyway. 

Got a quote on trimming my trees that were growing into the house. Instead decided to save $680 and do it myself. Was up on the ladder sawing a 4in diameter branch off a Live Oak. Once the cut was nearly complete, the branch bowed down as I expected it would. As I finished the cut, I expected the branch to fall down and away from me. Still not sure exactly what happened, but the moment I completed the cut, the thick part of the branch that I just cut away catapulted into my face, putting a sizeable gash in my upper lip. As is generally the case with these things, all of the urgent cares were closed, meaning I ended up at the ER paying $580 copay / coinsurance to get 3 stitches.   

image.thumb.png.bc118b229f889c244a0921cbdefb83a3.png  

Sorry man. I've banged myself up pretty good being a cheapskate. Was it worth it? 

Absolutely😁

• Like 1

Since this was bumped I will share my injury story.  I play ice hockey in the local leagues but hadn't played in a year because Covid.  Well, after getting vaccinated I subbed in a game a month ago and promptly tore my distal bicep tendon from the bone.  Had surgery and now no riding until at least until July/August.  Sucks because I recently got a new bike and was putting in 70+ miles a week.

On the bright side (for me) is I haven't missed much trail riding because of the rains.  I have been hiking a lot of the trails I normally ride which give a cool perspective of lines, etc.  /CSB

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

54 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

Since this was bumped I will share my injury story.  I play ice hockey in the local leagues but hadn't played in a year because Covid.  Well, after getting vaccinated I subbed in a game a month ago and promptly tore my distal bicep tendon from the bone.  Had surgery and now no riding until at least until July/August.  Sucks because I recently got a new bike and was putting in 70+ miles a week.

On the bright side (for me) is I haven't missed much trail riding because of the rains.  I have been hiking a lot of the trails I normally ride which give a cool perspective of lines, etc.  /CSB

I tore my proximal bicep tendon 15 years ago.  They couldn't re-attach it so now I have a unicep and back closer to when it happened my friends accused me of constantly flexing my left arm.  I was told that even if they'd been able to re-attach it may not do much good.  Is a distal repair more usable?

• Sad 2

On 5/29/2021 at 11:09 PM, throet said:

As is generally the case with these things, all of the urgent cares were closed, meaning I ended up at the ER paying $580 copay / coinsurance to get 3 stitches.

As a fellow recent lip injury recipient, I can certainly sympathize. I was lucky enough to have an urgent care facility open at 2AM and super close by, and a buddy to get me there. I was unlucky enough to need 11 stitches for my repair though (the installer claimed it was 12, but the un-installer only found 11). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barry said:

As a fellow recent lip injury recipient, I can certainly sympathize. I was lucky enough to have an urgent care facility open at 2AM and super close by, and a buddy to get me there. I was unlucky enough to need 11 stitches for my repair though (the installer claimed it was 12, but the un-installer only found 11). 

How's that healing up anyway? Ya gonna live?

54 minutes ago, The Tip said:

How's that healing up anyway? Ya gonna live?

All healed up just fine. Some obvious scaring, but not nearly so  gruesome as you'd expect if you'd seen the original injury. It's maybe the definitive feature of my face now, but the good news is that now you don't notice how big my nose  is!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I tore my proximal bicep tendon 15 years ago.  They couldn't re-attach it so now I have a unicep and back closer to when it happened my friends accused me of constantly flexing my left arm.  I was told that even if they'd been able to re-attach it may not do much good.  Is a distal repair more usable?

I've been told it will be back to 100%.  I did have the option of letting it go, but decided to fix it since they said it would most likely be good as new.  I do admit I thought the procedure would be pretty simple, but there is a pretty long scar and rehab has been tough.  I hope to be back on the bike just in time for the August drought and 100 degree temps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pretty bad ragdoll OTB in AZ on the second day that had me calling it quits early. Right arm took most of the brunt and range on motion is limited a week later. Gonna hit up the doctor if doesn't improve in a week. At 47, I was lucky to have walked away from that crash. Wife washed out at speed and jammed a couple fingers but she's recovered quicker than expected. A little bummed we didn't finish the day.

Then I saw this........

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/florent-payet-out-of-leogang-world-cup-after-a-pole-struck-his-genitals.html

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Sad 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So went out and left BC to run my route up to SN and back. Actoss the dam a guy came up on me and didn't pass. Game on.
We dropped off the side trail by Gnargasm and booked it toward Gum Drum.
I don't know what exactly happened but he told me that I cleared one root but clipped a trunk and like that I was OTB hard.
Hit my head . Face and landed on the back of my shoulder.
Turns out that after x-rays at DOC and then onto St David's for CT scan I broke my clavicle and it is dislocated from the sternum.
But thanks to whoever I was riding with. I think his name is Jared or Jaret or something. But whoever he is I am grateful for him and what little time we spent hauling mad ass , I had fun bro!
8e1e8b1ab571199f614ee15cacade123.jpg599dcf2f71be009ad72cef15852ad926.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Sad 6

8 hours ago, Cafeend said:

So went out and left BC to run my route up to SN and back. Actoss the dam a guy came up on me and didn't pass. Game on.
We dropped off the side trail by Gnargasm and booked it toward Gum Drum.
I don't know what exactly happened but he told me that I cleared one root but clipped a trunk and like that I was OTB hard.
Hit my head . Face and landed on the back of my shoulder.
Turns out that after x-rays at DOC and then onto St David's for CT scan I broke my clavicle and it is dislocated from the sternum.
But thanks to whoever I was riding with. I think his name is Jared or Jaret or something. But whoever he is I am grateful for him and what little time we spent hauling mad ass , I had fun bro!

Ouch! Those high-speed, unexpected wipeouts can be the worst. When I converted my Tallboy from 29 to 27.5 format - and in every respect it's a better bike - I had to go through a period of adjustment to stop having hard pedal strikes and bottom bracket impacts, often resulting in a sudden, unexpected dismount. I now ride with a higher tire pressure and a little more air in the rear shock, and all is good.

There's a circular root out at Suburban Ninja at the perfect height to catch your bike shoe in - I have to remember it's there every time I take this innocent little turn, and one day it's gonna get me.

Heal up, man.

14 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Damn dude - so sorry to hear this! Is surgery going to be required? Hopefully that sternoclavicular dislocation is popping outward and not inward!  

• Like 1

Damn dude - so sorry to hear this! Is surgery going to be required? Hopefully that sternoclavicular dislocation is popping outward and not inward!  
Thanks. No where near as bad as yours was with your leg. CT revealed the dislocation was minimal and the break is just more like a crack so in either case no surgery is needed.
They all said it was gonna be pretty sore till its not. But I've feared this break for years and feel relieved it has happened finally

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Thanks. No where near as bad as yours was with your leg. CT revealed the dislocation was minimal and the break is just more like a crack so in either case no surgery is needed.
They all said it was gonna be pretty sore till its not. But I've feared this break for years and feel relieved it has happened finally

Good to hear! Sounds like you'll be back on the trail by the time the cooler temps roll in. Rest up my friend and let's ride once you're back in the saddle. 

• Like 1

Eeeesh, that bad bruise is right over your heart -- consider it a good outcome that you're still here. 
It started as a good sized hematoma above the collarbone on my lower neck. The Doc said as the week progressed it would flow down into the chest as it drained from my neck.