IGNORED

Injury Reports

16 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

Glad to be such a role model 🙂

BTW, I too went to one of those doctors who used a scope to inject steroid, but for my knees. I was amazed at how clearly you could see the placement of the needle. However, the SOB was like 90 years old and his hand was shaking so bad I think he chipped away half of what was left of my patella. Damn that was painful! 

28 minutes ago, throet said:

BTW, I too went to one of those doctors who used a scope to inject steroid, but for my knees. I was amazed at how clearly you could see the placement of the needle. However, the SOB was like 90 years old and his hand was shaking so bad I think he chipped away half of what was left of my patella. Damn that was painful! 

Oh gawd, that sounds terrible. That needle can be painful  enough when done right, let alone with Dr Kervorkian driving.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Still on the mend with limited mobility. No work or riding in the last three weeks. Three bulging discs kinda came out of nowhere for sure. 

Biggest issue currently, is a pinched nerve that has my right leg feeling like it's in a deep fryer. Currently taking 1200mg of gabapentin to keep that at bay (kinda). 

Finally got approved for PT starting this Friday and will be seeing and orthopedist on the 30th.  Can say getting older is a bitch.

This whole experience has me considering selling off my park bikes😏

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

My turn again.

I have no idea what or when I did something to my shoulder, but I’ve had it in a sling and been popping ibuprofen as fast as I’m allowed to since Monday morning.  I went riding Sunday afternoon, no issues whatsoever, no pain etc.  got home, showered, had dinner with the family then we sat to watch some TV. I was propped up on my left elbow.  At some point it felt like a bit numb.  Switched positions and all was fine.  Woke up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain in the rotator cuff area.  I got an appointment with Dr Elenz next Tuesday.  I had hoped it would go away on its own but so far it isn’t.

I’ve been doing indoor bouldering for a while now.  I went on Friday with no issues other than being very tired and sore overall, and I had no issues on Saturday or Sunday morning.  So it’s really weird…  I wonder if it’s a latent injury that got aggravated from bad posture while watching TV.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

“A man is the sum of his scars.”  

After my most recent encounter with barbed wire I immediately started down memory lane thinking about all the times I have been bested by the stuff.  I started young, falling out of a tree in our yard onto a barbed wire fence.  Then while still a kid, I ran full-speed into a barbed wire fence in the dark while visiting friends.  That was a particularly tightly stretched fence and I still remember the sound it made as I bounced off of it, wondering what the hell had just happened.  Later, as a teenager I was standing on a pile of firewood taking a picture of our backyard with a giant glass of iced tea in the other hand when the pile of wood shifted and I slid off the firewood pile down between the wood and the fence.  I didn’t spill my tea but I got a hell of a cut that should have been looked at by a doctor or something but I just hid it from my folks.   The next two barbed wire encounters that I can remember were actually mountain bike related.  The first happened in the early days of my riding in Wimberley while exploring.  I was busting through some brush and the work gloves I was wearing kept me from getting too cut up.   Later, on the green belt near the top of Mulch I went to ride through a hole in the fence.  I saw the lower strands and cleared them nicely with my front wheel just as my forehead hit the upper strand that I hadn’t seen because of my visor.  That one bled a lot!  That one too probably should have been sewed up but it wasn’t.  So last week when I tumbled backwards over a knee high strand of barbed wire and got impaled by one of the barbs it immediately led me to think of the many times the infernal stuff has cut me up.   Don’t fence me in.

• Like 3

I frequently ride trail that is lined with barbed wire fence along the property line. I don't understand why some trail builders seem so hell bent on using every single inch of land by running the trail so close to the fence. I wouldn't mind having a little less mileage of trail to be able to ride 10 feet away from the fence line.

It's one of my hot buttons so I'm using your barbed wire fence story as a platform to voice my concerns. Thanks, and I hope your puncture heals up quickly.

• Like 3

On 12/26/2021 at 6:38 PM, hurronnicane said:

Don’t fence me in.

I've only had one encounter with barbed wire. As a teen growing up in Akron, OH, we used to regularly sneak into concerts at Blossom Music Center. The place was surrounded by forest, and it was a simple matter of being willing to crawl through a ravine, select an opening into the venue, and quickly mingle into the crowd. Then one year they decided to erect a barbed wire fence around the entire perimeter. Determined not to be denied an opportunity to see Sha Na Na, we attempted to scale the fence. My buddies cleared it and dashed in, but I got hung up in the barbed wire at the top of the fence. As the cops rushed towards me, I leapt down to the ground, ripping a huge gash across my inner arm. Adding insult to injury, the cops maced me before recognizing the extent of my injury. Not sure what was worse, getting maced or seeing my parents faces when they picked me up at the Emergency Room after getting stitched up.

Don't fence me out!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/15/2021 at 1:59 PM, AntonioGG said:

My turn again.

I have no idea what or when I did something to my shoulder, but I’ve had it in a sling and been popping ibuprofen as fast as I’m allowed to since Monday morning.  I went riding Sunday afternoon, no issues whatsoever, no pain etc.  got home, showered, had dinner with the family then we sat to watch some TV. I was propped up on my left elbow.  At some point it felt like a bit numb.  Switched positions and all was fine.  Woke up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain in the rotator cuff area.  I got an appointment with Dr Elenz next Tuesday.  I had hoped it would go away on its own but so far it isn’t.

I’ve been doing indoor bouldering for a while now.  I went on Friday with no issues other than being very tired and sore overall, and I had no issues on Saturday or Sunday morning.  So it’s really weird…  I wonder if it’s a latent injury that got aggravated from bad posture while watching TV.

Dude, that sucks big time. Sorry. Sounds just like the pinched nerve issues myself and others have dealt with. GL at your appointment.

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

I frequently ride trail that is lined with barbed wire fence along the property line. I don't understand why some trail builders seem so hell bent on using every single inch of land by running the trail so close to the fence. I wouldn't mind having a little less mileage of trail to be able to ride 10 feet away from the fence line.

It's one of my hot buttons so I'm using your barbed wire fence story as a platform to voice my concerns. Thanks, and I hope your puncture heals up quickly.

Worst is when they host races that run the course right next to barbed wire fences. Some of the NICA races my kids participated in were like that. We were just waiting for them to wad themselves up in that rusted web of pain.

1 hour ago, throet said:

I've only had one encounter with barbed wire. As a teen growing up in Akron, OH, we used to regularly sneak into concerts at Blossom Music Center. The place was surrounded by forest, and it was a simple matter of being willing to crawl through a ravine, select an opening into the venue, and quickly mingle into the crowd. Then one year they decided to erect a barbed wire fence around the entire perimeter. Determined not to be denied an opportunity to see Sha Na Na, we attempted to scale the fence. My buddies cleared it and dashed in, but I got hung up in the barbed wire at the top of the fence. As the cops rushed towards me, I leapt down to the ground, ripping a huge gash across my inner arm. Adding insult to injury, the cops maced me before recognizing the extent of my injury. Not sure what was worse, getting maced or seeing my parents faces when they picked me up at the Emergency Room after getting stitched up.

Don't fence me out!  

Oh fuck! Long live Bowser😁

• Like 1

By the time of my appointment 8 days after initial symptoms I was back to normal. It didn’t feel like a nerve and I started noticing a huge knot on the rotator cuff. Doctor checked me out to make sure there was nothing structurally wrong. Wondered if there was a bit of something floating in there that eventually cleared off. I was cleared to resume normal activity ramping back up slowly.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Tip said:

I don't understand why some trail builders seem so hell bent on using every single inch of land by running the trail so close to the fence.

I always assumed the trail builder took over an existing trail made by animals who did 90% of the work for them. Cows/Sheep/Deer/Dogs run along fences. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

I always assumed the trail builder took over an existing trail made by animals who did 90% of the work for them. Cows/Sheep/Deer/Dogs run along fences. 

Worse! Not just an example of a bad trail designer, but a lazy one instead! 

My experiences have taught me that a few extra hours invested in working harder to make more interesting trail pays off with the resulting years of having more interesting trail to ride.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Tip said:

Like that section which runs along Slaughter to Circle C Metro Park. I'm so terrified of washing out on the rocks on the trail and diving straight into the barb wire fence 12 inches to the right, that I mostly ride the sidewalk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Tip said:

It healed up nicely.  It now only appears that I was the victim of a gnarly dog attack.  In its earliest stages it looked like I had stuck my leg into a wolverine den on a dare.  

• Like 1

RIP RHR trails and the section of western fence line trail where my buddy Nick C got the most gruesome looking scars from barbed wire 20+ years ago. He was bombing down the double track and got crossways in a rut and flung into the barbed wire at speed. He used to wear bibs with no shirt and literally left meat from his chest and right side in the wire. When a buddy got up to him he had to unbuckle Nick’s helmet that was hung up in the fence to free him. By sheer luck the wire hit his visor and the fence had sawed into the helmet almost completely thru the foam just above the visor. An inch lower it would have been his forehead or face. He was almost completely naked on one side and they had to safety pin the remnants of his bibs to help walk him out.  His chest is covered in keloid scars from it. I have always stayed as far to the left on that section as possible for 2 decades because of that! If you know Nick, that helmet was a prized possession he lost in a fire a few years later. It was unreal how far the fence sawed into it!

• Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 6:38 PM, AntonioGG said:

I could have been hallucinating but I think the barb wire from the fence on double down is gone. When I looked I only saw the poles.

You weren't hallucinating. I paid particular attention today, having recalled this post. There appear to be some remnants of the original barbed-wire fence in spots, but that section at the bottom of the short plunge that always left you wondering what if, is nothing but posts now. Hopefully nobody gets impaled on one of those.   

• 2 months later...

My front wheel washed on a dusty, dry down with a few marble-sized rocks scattered about.  Hit hard with every bit of the impact on my knee and upper tibia.  I never even managed to get a hand down which is probably just as well as I’ve already been having wrist and elbow pain.  It has been four days or so and it has seemed to be feeling better until I climbed some stairs today.  But it go me thinking about the old RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevate) protocols for injury.  Sounds like a lot of folks are re-thinking that.  

https://www.lifemark.ca/blog-post/treating-acute-injury-go-meat-over-rice

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Sounds like you went down fast. Who knew that gravity was so strong?

Once I slid out and went down on some leaves so fast that it felt like rubber bands had pulled me down.

F=ma.  I once went down fast and hard with the feet still safe and secure in the toe clips. 

• Like 1