IGNORED

Cougar sighting, no the other one

22 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

I've been lucky enough to see the one(cougar) that hangs out Walnut Creek.

Not sure if this is tongue-n-cheek or not, but if your talking about the cat, then I respectfully doubt that a mtn lion is roaming the WC area.  I've lived near there for 20+ yrs and there are so many sets of eyes that are on the park and I've never heard of even 1 sighting.

Later,
CJB

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

Not sure if this is tongue-n-cheek or not, but if your talking about the cat, then I respectfully doubt that a mtn lion is roaming the WC area.  I've lived near there for 20+ yrs and there are so many sets of eyes that are on the park and I've never heard of even 1 sighting.

Later,
CJB

I saw one in Laredo once, and I felt like I had a UFO sighting! No one believed me and kept telling me it had to have been a large bobcat!

• Like 1

A few years ago descending into the canyon before Mt Lakeway I had one cross the trail about 20 yds in front of me.  When I first saw it i though to myself "that is a REALLY big deer" then when it fully entered the trail and I saw its tail I registered what it was.  It slowed down to look at me but thankfully kept going down into the canyon.  for some reason I kept looking all around me the rest of the ride...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PA810 said:

A few years ago descending into the canyon before Mt Lakeway I had one cross the trail about 20 yds in front of me.  When I first saw it i though to myself "that is a REALLY big deer" then when it fully entered the trail and I saw its tail I registered what it was.  It slowed down to look at me but thankfully kept going down into the canyon.  for some reason I kept looking all around me the rest of the ride...

I would love to see one but I'd probably prefer it be at the end of the ride just before I got back to the car.  You're a lucky man.

1 hour ago, PA810 said:

This seems plausible to me considering the marching outwards of growth due to urban sprawl.  I've heard on occasion of sightings out there and also near Steiner Ranch [insert comments about 40 yr old women here].

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

Crusty and I used to ride hill repeats on Far West back in the day.  Some people  would spread deer corn on their driveways for the deer who apparently weren't getting enough sustenance from dining on expensive landscaping in the neighborhood.  When blasting down Far West to get ready for another hill repeat, I hoped like hell that a deer wouldn't run across the street in front of me.  They were everywhere.  

White tail deer are a tasty treat for a mountain lion and not that hard for a mountain lion to kill.  Just sayin.  Also, it's not unusual to see deer at Walnut Creek.  

Edited by June Bug

We have coyotes where I live (NW Balcones).  I've seen them at St. Ed's and on the trail close to my house (from Talleyran Park to Old Lampasas).  I've seen a deer hoof on mornings after hearing coyotes doing their thing at night.   I guessed it was the coyotes. 

I've never seen a large cat, but I know there are some.  At the dead-end of Old Lampasas, I was walking my dogs once when I heard a deep growl.   That dead end stops at the BCP.  

In all the time I spent as a child and adult tripping around in the cascade mountains (WA) I've only seen 2. One was walking along and abandon logging road. As we came up on it in a pickup truck. It glanced back at us and ran off the road up a hillside. It actually had a tracking collar on it.

The other one, was sitting on my front porch sitting eye to eye with our Blue Healer dog (Otis). My ex had walked out in the morning to hang clothes on the line. She came out the door and it was just sitting about 6-8 feet away from the door just starring at Otis. The ex ran inside, woke me up. I ran outside to find it still in the same position. Finally it lost interest in Otis, looked back at both of us, and then walked off the end of the porch and then ran into the woods adjacent to our house (we lived out in the boonies). I called the wildlife agent and told him about the encounter. He just laughed and said he was surprised I hadn't shot it.

I had a habit at that time in my life for shooting things.

12 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

We have coyotes where I live (NW Balcones).  I've seen them at St. Ed's and on the trail close to my house (from Talleyran Park to Old Lampasas).  I've seen a deer hoof on mornings after hearing coyotes doing their thing at night.   I guessed it was the coyotes. 

Neighbors here in Gracywoods have reported seeing one (maybe a mom coyote) that hangs out by Lincolnshire, in the heavily wooded area south of the Walnut Creek detention dam (now with concrete sidewalk). 

In my 'hood near Braker/Swearingen, there are opossums, raccoons, skunks and coyotes wandering around at night. I've smelled skunk on several occasions.  

I too love to see an ocelot or a jaguarundi!  Even a bobcat would be awesome; they have incredibly cute ears. Mountain lion in the wild? Not so much.  

• Like 1