IGNORED

Walnut Creek Trail Conditions

Albert

Trails were great yesterday with the exception of, as previously mentioned, a few spots on mark's art. There were quite a few downed limbs including one particularly sharp 3" diameter branch jutting out directly into the trail that i almost caught to the throat when i had to veer to the right for two mtb'ers coming the other way. fast  Barely got out of the way. Severe second loop and a few tight trails could use a little overgrowth trimming like outer log loop, and parts of tangle of trails. 

• 2 weeks later...

At my house near Braker + Swearingen, we had only a few drops of rain yesterday (Thursday evening, June 27) from the storm that seemed to drench everything south of here.  So extrapolating that WC missed the rain as well. 

Did at short ride at WC around 4 pm yesterday (Inner and Outer Log and the flow trail) and saw only one puddle. Everything else was dry or dry-ish. 

Took a quick walk over to bmx loop/windy loop. Puddle was still there at the top of bmx loop. The climb up from the creek on windy was dry. Ground isn’t fully muddy but a little on the soft side- didn’t seem like it was too far from being good if it stays hot and dry though. Not sure about the other trails.

232E8018-ADD1-4AFD-8ACB-DF8E0D24887E.jpeg

FF865930-7028-42E4-A3AD-43CC7130DA35.jpeg

Everything I saw on walnut today around noon to 2pm was dry except for some small spots at creek-ish level.  I did note that there are some really bad ruts (it's been a year since I rode there) and a lot of used-to-be-rough-but-mostly-flat surfaces seemed overly pitted.

In any case, after the downpour this evening, there's more than likely a good amount of standing water.   

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live a block north of Braker off Swearingen, so about 5 blocks south of WC.   Closer to three inches of rain at my house by the time it was all done -- a regular frog strangler during some of it.   We got a flash flood alert on the phone.  

Walnut Creek between MoPac and I 35 got hosed last night. 

When it gets colder, no matter how windy it is, it takes much, much longer for trails to dry out than it does with toasty temps. 

CharDog (Charlie Riou) and Cullen Mc were at WC this afternoon (Saturday, Oct. 26) assessing damage and doing cleanup  and repair after the storm; CharDog has been posting a few photos on FB.  There was a storm surge of from 6' to 9' on main Walnut Creek, but the armoring at Root Drop and at the main creek crossing held up well. According to Charlie's facebook post, WALNUT CREEK WAS NOT RIDABLE TODAY AND REALLY NEEDS AN ADDITIONAL DAY TO DRY OUT.  

Keep in mind that tires rolling through soft spots on the trail create a depression that holds water during the next rain, leading to a muddy area that eventually requires repair.  That next rain will likely happen mid week. 

Edited by June Bug