IGNORED

Walnut Creek Trail Conditions

Albert

Hard to imagine 9' of water roaring by root drop.

Wells branch behind my house went from 2-4” by 2’ wide to 6’ by 20 yds wide after that rain. It all ends up in Walnut Creek. It was back to only 1’ deep by daylight. That’s a lot of water and that’s after it perks thru detention ponds in my ‘hood. A lot of the older upstream neighborhoods along walnut just have storm drains that don’t slow the flow rate. That creek can rage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 8:39 PM, TheX said:

Hard to imagine 9' of water roaring by root drop.

The huge rocks used for stepping stones can form a  nice standing wave at certain water levels.

There's always a debris line on the shore after a big flush.  Interesting to check out after a big rain event. 

Edited by June Bug

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, AntonioGG said:

Is Walnut going to be dry enough tomorrow?

Indeed it was dry this weekend. Unfortunately this forum doesn't have enough traffic to have timely trail conditions updates. Lots of folks like to rag on Facebook or refuse to use it, but between the groups and the events functionality, you can get a lot of usefulness out of it, while wholly ignoring the BS side of it. The FB group, Austin MTB Trail Conditions has a lot of traffic and near constant updates on local trail conditions.  

9 minutes ago, Barry said:

Indeed it was dry this weekend. Unfortunately this forum doesn't have enough traffic to have timely trail conditions updates. Lots of folks like to rag on Facebook or refuse to use it, but between the groups and the events functionality, you can get a lot of usefulness out of it, while wholly ignoring the BS side of it. The FB group, Austin MTB Trail Conditions has a lot of traffic and near constant updates on local trail conditions.  

Why in the world would they not make that trail conditions forum public if the goal is to educate the public about not riding in muddy trails?

I'm not re-joining the cesspool that is FB just to get trail conditions.  I'm perfectly OK with not going to WC when the conditions are questionable if that's what it means.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Did a brief tour from around 5 to 6 and everything I hit was good. Didn't hit some of the late drying stuff like Mark's and the fence line by Mark's so be prepared to perhaps bail on some trails, but there should be enough for a good ride at least until it rains again.

We should probably shred, Mr. Head. Hit me up. 

Edited by Sluggo

• 3 months later...

Large tree down on the Walnut Creek Regional (northern) hike n bike trail under Mopac near the train bridge. It's actually passable if you go off the trail.  Also, the lower Balcones trail to Amhurst & Duval is flooded with about 2-3 feet of water.  Still passable if you ride it right. And once your past it you get to see the water fall (oooo ahhh).

MopacWCTrail-TreeDown.jpg

Amhurst-Duval-After-Storm.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, AngryPirate said:

@Michael Bevilacqua  So does that mean the trails are rideable?

Seems like you were out there, at least on foot.

I rode this morning. Pretty much hero dirt. A couple wet spots at creek crossings, but that’s expected. 

I was going to ask WTF this was at the beginning of windy loop. I haven’t ridden walnut in a couple months, but this took me by surprise:

3DD4C75F-9740-4F8A-9C57-2DF5C5EBC55B.jpeg

48 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I rode this morning. Pretty much hero dirt. A couple wet spots at creek crossings, but that’s expected. 

I was going to ask WTF this was at the beginning of windy loop. I haven’t ridden walnut in a couple months, but this took me by surprise:

3DD4C75F-9740-4F8A-9C57-2DF5C5EBC55B.jpeg

send it!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If the Austin Hydromet is to be trusted, I'm seeing .2" of rain at walnut in the past 48 hours. Looks like there is a good chance we won't see any additional rain until late this evening. Anyone near Walnut know if the trails are dry enough to ride? Just trying to determine if I should dawn my cold weather gear and head on down to the R&I tonight.