IGNORED

Walnut Creek Trail Conditions

Albert

Thought I'd answer my own post.  Just got back from a lap at Walnut Creek and it's good to go.  There were maybe a half dozen very small, wet, muddy spots in the expected places, but they were  easily avoidable without going off the trail.  Get it while you can.

Thanks for the report.  It would be great if you and anyone else familiar with the problem areas could join ARR Trail Crew at WC Tuesday.  We need YOUR help.  With the rains we have been getting, the trails need lot's of attention to properly drain.: 

I've been gone for 4 days and just got back into town last night.  But based on my backyard dirt (which is less than a mile from WC as crow flies) it looks better than it did here: 

Later in that thread Teamsloan when out there and said it would be hero dirt the next day.  Thus based on my ad-hoc analysis, I'd bet WC could be OK at the moment.  Prolly soft in the usual spots.  This is best I can do.

Later, -CJB

• Like 1

So you ARE NOT riding tomorrow.  So, help the trails out.  Conditions will be such that drainage issues will be quite obvious!  🙂  We REALLY, REALLY would love to have you and ten or your best friends join the ARR Trail Crew at WC Tuesday.  We need ALL of YOU to help.  With the rains we have been getting, the trails need lot's of attention to properly drain.: 

• Like 1

On September 23, the flow of Walnut Creek  peaked at 3400 cfs eary that morning.  Last night the creek crested at 275 cfs. Nothing to get excited about. I am certain the rock armoring held up.  Already down to about 50 cfs now.

Edited by Chardog

Also note that there are many spots that used to stay muddy for extended periods that no longer stay muddy.  Tangle of Trails and Windy Loop dry quickly now thanks to the ARR Trail Crew's drainage improvements.

Trails will probably be too muddy Saturday and Sunday.  Come out Sunday and help the Trail Crew make the trails drain better:

2 hours ago, Chardog said:

Be aware of muddy spots near the Rock Bridge, Point Six and the Inner Log Loop.  

Looked like some drainage work was done before Rock Bridge and at the entrance of Point Six. Possible damage from folks riding in the mud? Saw another rider go rubber side up in Inner Log Loops. Everything else was really good.

I'll try and make the trail work event on Sunday, thanks for posting. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrunkyDrewster said:

Looked like some drainage work was done before Rock Bridge and at the entrance of Point Six. Possible damage from folks riding in the mud? Saw another rider go rubber side up in Inner Log Loops. Everything else was really good.

I'll try and make the trail work event on Sunday, thanks for posting. Cheers!

Many areas such as Point Six and parts of the Log Loops are simply too flat for good drainage.  As the trails compact from use, they inevitably become the lowest point, hold water, and become persistently muddy.  The remedy is to create artificial highs and lows so the trail is no longer the lowest point.

Edited by Chardog

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, fontarin.  I don't mean to be a pest, but I am looking all over https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=austin ridge riders mountain bike club and i don't see anything from yesterday.  I do see a post from October 21 that has a picture of a dog chillin' in some mud.  Am I just missing it?  I'm not so good with the book of faces.

-cls

I led a group on race practice. We just needed a short loop for time-trial style laps. Used outer log loop and the new up/down trails that replaced power line hill. I wanted to use .6, but thought it was too muddy in the usual spots. Same with inner log loop. Afraid that’s all I looked at.

Wouldn’t mind hearing about other specific loops that are really too muddy, still. Thanks.

I'm still getting used to the Walnut maze so unsure exactly where I was but didn't run into any mud. Stayed in the powerline area for the most part. A couple spots that likely weren't okay in the morning around the creek. I skipped the loops. I would think everything is good to go by tomorrow.

Making a mental note to figure out a decent linkage of trails before I attempt any night rides.

• Albert changed the title to Walnut Creek Trail Conditions