IGNORED

Walnut Creek Trail Conditions

Albert

7 minutes ago, CopeIt said:

I rode the path today and ended up checking out powerline flow, chardog, and log loops. All good to go. Was skeptical about log loop but whatever improvements were recently done took care of the areas that used to hold onto water forever. Great job emoji106.png

I ran and concur with that. But that's pretty much all that is ridable.

I went on .6, and it was not good. In addition to the spots that usually get muddy, there is a new low spot developing not far into the loop, before the first sweeping turn to the left. There was still standing water there today. (Pics below.)

I am confident Windy and BMX are not good, since they were muddy even before Friday night's rain. I also am confident that Mark's Art continues to be muddy in all the dips, meaning that the rock armoring that is left continues to get dislodged and the dips get deeper. I assume the dip below Mark's Art continues to get deeper (and can't drain). 

Hopefully anyone who rides out there for the next few days will do an abbreviated route.

I rode an abbreviated route last Thursday, and it was actually kind of fun to figure out how to connect the ridable parts. Then as I was loading my gear (on Lincolnshire), a very large group of riders went by. I hope that organized rides are privy to the information that Charlie and others share, and that they consider that info in leading the route.

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scorpionwoman said:

I ran and concur with that. But that's pretty much all that is ridable.

I went on .6, and it was not good. In addition to the spots that usually get muddy, there is a new low spot developing not far into the loop, before the first sweeping turn to the left. There was still standing water there today. (Pics below.)

I am confident Windy and BMX are not good, since they were muddy even before Friday night's rain. I also am confident that Mark's Art continues to be muddy in all the dips, meaning that the rock armoring that is left continues to get dislodged and the dips get deeper. I assume the dip below Mark's Art continues to get deeper (and can't drain). 

Hopefully anyone who rides out there for the next few days will do an abbreviated route.

I rode an abbreviated route last Thursday, and it was actually kind of fun to figure out how to connect the ridable parts. Then as I was loading my gear (on Lincolnshire), a very large group of riders went by. I hope that organized rides are privy to the information that Charlie and others share, and that they consider that info in leading the route.

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

Yes, the Log Loop / Ski hill Flow (Chardog Up) / Power line Flow loop is about the only thing without problematic areas that will only be damaged more by use.

• Like 1

Since the last report of Walnut trail conditions was on Monday, I thought I'd do my run out there today and see how it fared after a very damp Wednesday. Bottom line: it's wetter now than it was the first part of the week.

As others have commented, the log loops take water *so* much better now that our wonderful trail volunteers have done all that work on them. But by riding them when they are wet, we are breaking down the improvements. Here is an example in pics, at the S turn about midway through. Those tracks represent quite a few riders on the trail after Wednesday. It's muddy enough that there was some sideways slipping.

In addition, the places on .6 that were built up on one side with the water-diverting channel on the other are getting broken down, because the ground is muddy (even on the high side) and riders are sliding off, dragging the dirt with them. Also on .6, spots that did not hold water a few months ago are developing into mud pits.

Please stop riding Walnut when it is wet. 

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

How is Walnut Creek today?  Which trails are OK and which are to stay away from?

The winds yesterday helped.  Some areas still too soft/wet that should be avoided include Main Creek Crossing, Mark's Art, the big dip after Mark's Art, first part of Windy Loop, BMX loop.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, Chardog said:

The winds yesterday helped.  Some areas still too soft/wet that should be avoided include Main Creek Crossing, Mark's Art, the big dip after Mark's Art, first part of Windy Loop, BMX loop.

I and a friend rode WC yesterday and I can confirm @Chardog's post.  We didn't attempt Windy or BMX but from the rest of WC being exactly as indicated I'd guess Windy and BMX were still no-gos.  I'll go ahead and explicitly point out that .6 was rideable, as incredible as that sounds.

-cls

Got out for a run at midday today. Walnut is not ready for riding, yet. I was a little surprised at how wet it is. Here's a sampling of spots that stood out to me.

1. Outer log loop. Don't know if you can see it, but there's another puddle on down the trail, at the curve to the right.

2 and 3. This is on the climb in the middle of the Tangle of Trails section. The first one is not too far into the loop. The second is about half-way up the climb. I've never seen puddles in either of these spots before.

4. Tar Branch (I think that's what it's called. The little loop that's not far from the power lines that drops down and climbs back out). This is not far from the entrance to the loop off Shady Springs.

Hope that's helpful info.

clair

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

42 minutes ago, CopeIt said:

Rode the concrete trail this morning. Walked a couple sections... close but still needs another day to be rideable. Just in time for the next rain to pay availability out even further.

It seems like the morning wetness comes and goes every day. If I'm able to, I'll get over there for an exploratory ride this evening. Worst case scenario is that turns into a connector trail and concrete spin. 

Trail work crew (all 5 of us) hit Windy yesterday and worked over one corner that needed help.  I will say that the amount of damage being done to the trail due to use/mis-use is not equivalent with the maintenance we are providing.  Sunday was a rainy morning before the Super Bowl when nothing was rideable outside of RPR and only FIVE people showed up (including the trail steward). 

Does anyone have any ideas to get more people to do their part to support these trails?  Here are my assumptions that might be totally off:

1. Mountain bikers are putting in the most effort to maintain Walnut
  2. This forum represents the most involved and informed Mountain Bikers in Austin
  3. This forum has around 500 people that KNOW about work days going on every week and the damage being done to the trails
  4. The average size of the work crew is 6 or 7 people every week
  5. On average 100-200 unique riders hit Walnut every day??  (Guess)
  6. 90% of those riders are NOT on this forum or any forum that discusses trail conditions

If the park said "You can't support the trails you have so we're cutting your mileage down."  Would people respond?

Edited by Tree Magnet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely some wet spots still. Point Six Loop had some major puddling in some spots. Didn't make it to BMX or Windy loop as it seems to take longer than the rest of walnut to dry out. With that said you can definitely ride much of walnut without destroying the trail. I stuck mainly to the stuff around powerline hill and its pretty dang dry on that side of the park. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I went for a brief recon ride last night. Ski Hill Flow Trail and Inner Log Loops were perfect. Point 6 was fine, BMX was borderline.  Until it rains again there should be enough to get in a decent ride (just be ready to bail on some of the slower to dry trails if need be).

Edited by GFisher
edit trail name
  • Like 2

• Albert changed the title to Walnut Creek Trail Conditions

Walnut Creek is in great shape!  Go ride before we get more rain!  Only a few Damon spots in places, such as Mark's Art and some in BMX and Windy. Other than that and the creek crossings it's pretty dry overall. I did get chased by two dogs so far today. 

Heading out for another lap now!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Took a lunch walk to walnut creek and had a quick peek at bmx loop and windy loop.

The ground was generally a little soft, but not as bad as I was expecting. Puddle in the usual spot near the start of bmx. Not ready- but maybe not that far off if it stays hot and dry. Not sure about the rest of the trails.

F561BB52-43EF-499B-A17C-CD4B332D66F7.jpeg

5B514600-B346-4A2C-87CD-890D3AFC4463.jpeg

296DFAE4-9D84-4C14-979B-6792B5DC980B.jpeg

Was given this report by someone who just ran the trails:

"The trail is damp but fine. Small isolated puddles will probably be gone by this evening. Mark’s Art crossings are still messy. The seep at the start of Windy Loop is still seeping. Best to use the route-around to minimize erosion there."