IGNORED

Walnut Creek Trail Conditions

Albert

I and a buddy were there at 7:45am.  There were definitely many, many mud holes and squishy patches, but IMHO the trails were very rideable.  We rode everything except Windy Loop.  There were a few spots where there was nowhere to go except through the mud/squish, but for the vast majority of spots, the trail was wide enough to go around, with some care.  We rode 11 miles or so snd never really picked up that much mud.  I mean the tread stayed fairly full, but it never really caked on such that it hid the knobs on the tires, and certainly never reached the point where the wheels just stopped turning.  The only real issue we ran into was the slickness of every piece of rock out there.  I had maybe half the traction I usually do on the little rocky climbs.  Spun out a lot.  Still a great time, though, and not just because I hadn't been out MTNing in a month.

Should be even better tomorrow, and I think we're due some wind this week, so that'll help a lot too.

-cls

3 hours ago, CopeIt said:

I'm still getting used to the Walnut maze so unsure exactly where I was but didn't run into any mud. Stayed in the powerline area for the most part. A couple spots that likely weren't okay in the morning around the creek. I skipped the loops. I would think everything is good to go by tomorrow.

Making a mental note to figure out a decent linkage of trails before I attempt any night rides.

There are little blue square stickers on the sign arrows that indicate a SUGGESTED route that will gibe you about 10 miles without repeat.  PLEASE NOTE:  ALL trails at WC are MULTI USE and TWO-WAY.  Bikes yield to hikers.  Be courteous to other trail users.  Slow down and say hi to those you are passing.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE:  If ANY mud is sticking to your tires, conditions are too wet to ride and continuing to ride is doing damage to the trails.  Please discontinue your ride.  THANK YOU for not riding wet trails.  It takes a lot of work to repair damage from trails being ridden when wet.  DO NOT ride through OR around muddy spots.  TURN AROUND and ride another day.

The ARR Trail Crew is continuously working to make the trails drain better and be more fun to ride.  Please take 3 hours to help out.  Bring your riding buddies.  We desperately need all the help we can get.  We are very short of having the help we need.  Come out next Sunday.  Details and RSVP here: 

Edited by Chardog

Chardog, are you indicating that ARR didn't have their Sunday ride yesterday after all?  Did they announce on Meetup that it was a go on Saturday night, only to show up Sunday morning and say "Whoops, never mind."?

Edit, answered my own question.  Looks like the ARR ride *did* happen yesterday.  I guess a little mud on the tires wasn't a big deal after all.

-cls

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.42.13 AM.png

Edited by MrTheCatLady

5 hours ago, MrTheCatLady said:

Chardog, are you indicating that ARR didn't have their Sunday ride yesterday after all?  Did they announce on Meetup that it was a go on Saturday night, only to show up Sunday morning and say "Whoops, never mind."?

Edit, answered my own question.  Looks like the ARR ride *did* happen yesterday.  I guess a little mud on the tires wasn't a big deal after all.

-cls

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.42.13 AM.png

I talked to Paul before the ride.  He scouted out the trails. as Clair had done, and modified the routes accordingly.  There are trails at WC that do drain and dry out well (the ones that ARR built more recently for instance), but there are definitely problem areas that stay muddy for a long time after enough rain.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Scorpionwoman said:

If you end up riding this evening, could you please post an accurate report of the trail conditions? Maybe point out what to avoid? Thanks!

I rode the trails this evening.  Almost every trail at WC has at least one large muddy spot where your tires will pick up mud.  Point Six has several.  Both Log Loops have muddy areas.  Mark's Art has water across every crossing.  The damage has pretty much already been done to the muddy areas.  They just need to be repaired, but there are so many that it will take time.  If the ARR Trail Crew gets more volunteers to show up, that will help.

3 hours ago, Scorpionwoman said:

If you end up riding this evening, could you please post an accurate report of the trail conditions? Maybe point out what to avoid? Thanks!

I rode the trails this evening.  Almost every trail at WC has at least one large muddy spot where your tires will pick up mud.  Point Six has several.  Both Log Loops have muddy areas.  Mark's Art has water across every crossing.  The damage has pretty much already been done to the muddy areas.  They just need to be repaired, but there are so many that it will take time.  If the ARR Trail Crew gets more volunteers to show up, that will help.

2 hours ago, Scorpionwoman said:

Thanks for the info, Charlie. I have a feeling it's gonna get mobbed again tomorrow. I work on Sunday mornings, but hope to make a weekday evening trail work session sometime!

This Sunday we are working on the trail at 1 pm.  Myself and some others are guiding a Wounded Warrior Ride in the morning.  (trail conditions permitting)

Rode Walnut Creek today, and overall it's in great shape!  Hit pretty much every trail, a few damp spots that weren't covered by trees (as I think it rained lightly overnight and it was misting slightly in the morning), but pretty fast overall.  Will be great this weekend!

..Al

We did point six twice. BMX loop was a little hard for her, but she did it. 

I noticed most go across the bridge on the concrete path. Is there a trailhead off of that to connect log loop and old powerline? 

I m used to crossing at the creek, and going up that way. Granted was 8yrs ago. I see trail markers, but nothing labeled.

1 hour ago, larlev said:

We did point six twice. BMX loop was a little hard for her, but she did it. 

I noticed most go across the bridge on the concrete path. Is there a trailhead off of that to connect log loop and old powerline? 

I m used to crossing at the creek, and going up that way. Granted was 8yrs ago. I see trail markers, but nothing labeled.

Yes, you can ride to Point Six and Log Loop via the concrete trail.  The signing project is in-progress.  The map on the kiosk is up to date.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Albert changed the title to Walnut Creek Trail Conditions