IGNORED

Walnut Creek Trail Conditions

Albert

We've had about 3 inches of rain from Monday evening thru Wednesday evening.  Any rules of thumb for when Walnut Creek will dry up?  Also is there an age limit on the ARR trail repair event?  I have an 8 & 10 year old that I wanted to get out and ride this weekend but considering pitching in if we can't get on the trails... 

Also is there an age limit on the ARR trail repair event?  I have an 8 & 10 year old that I wanted to get out and ride this weekend but considering pitching in if we can't get on the trails... 

I’ve done trail work with 8 month olds and 3 year olds who moved some dirt and built some cool features. There is always a fun job they can do and getting them outside on a trail is a great experience for all involved. I had a great time digging with my boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Tree Magnet said:

I’ve done trail work with 8 month olds and 3 year olds who moved some dirt and built some cool features. There is always a fun job they can do and getting them outside on a trail is a great experience for all involved. I had a great time digging with my boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely.  Kids are the future of mountain biking and trail stewardship.  They are absolutely encouraged to attend (with guardian).  We will make sure they have a great experience. 

On 1/4/2019 at 5:20 PM, TrimTheFat said:

We've had about 3 inches of rain from Monday evening thru Wednesday evening.  Any rules of thumb for when Walnut Creek will dry up?  Also is there an age limit on the ARR trail repair event?  I have an 8 & 10 year old that I wanted to get out and ride this weekend but considering pitching in if we can't get on the trails... 

We will do whatever type of trail maintenance is appropriate for conditions.  

1 hour ago, Charlie193 said:

Just went for a quick walk to bmx loop and windy loop at lunch. Arrived at some fairly wet spots pretty quickly on both, although bmx loop hadn’t seemed too bad until the puddle. Didn’t have time to look anywhere else.

CBCD20A5-4422-41E2-930B-6B571050DFD4.jpeg

E460181D-F88E-4786-9C77-A0FCDA7837FC.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Chardog said:

Please stay off when trails look like that.  If tires are leaving Mark's they are damaging the trail

Not sure if this is general advice, or specific to my post. Just wanted to be clear- I wasn’t riding today, I just thought I’d check the conditions on foot, then share them as people seemed interested in conditions over on the R&I thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

Not sure if this is general advice, or specific to my post. Just wanted to be clear- I wasn’t riding today, I just thought I’d check the conditions on foot, then share them as people seemed interested in conditions over on the R&I thread.

I took it as Chardog saying to anyone (you aside), to stay off the trails when they are this wet, since it seems apparent someone has been riding on them.

The first thing I noticed that you said was that you 'walked' the trails, to which I applaud you and thanks, since my lazy ass wouldn't have done it and waited for someone else to scope it out 😉 .

I checked it out with the intention of sticking to the paved path if necessary. I'm sure all the fun shaded singletrack is toast, but if you are willing to stick to the double track type stuff and the hillier stuff that drains, it is in really good shape (Detention Dam Trail, Ski Hill Flow Trail, Power Line Hill, Tangle Wild Trail, etc.) I didn't even bother looking at Windy, BMX, Mark's, Point 6, etc. 

Was at WC all day today Installing signs. Some areas that are exposed to the sun and wind are drying out, but many areas are still very muddy. To avoid further damage to the trails, please avoid the Main Creek Crossing, Church Hill, Mark's Art, Windy Loop, BMX and probably some other flat or shady sections we did not check out today.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 2:44 PM, AngryPirate said:

I took it as Chardog saying to anyone (you aside), to stay off the trails when they are this wet, since it seems apparent someone has been riding on them.

The first thing I noticed that you said was that you 'walked' the trails, to which I applaud you and thanks, since my lazy ass wouldn't have done it and waited for someone else to scope it out 😉 .

I wasn’t being entirely selfless, as I was thinking about getting out there later in the week. I mainly wanted to make sure I wasn’t being added to the trail maintenance crew’s list of people to be drowned in the creek.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:27 AM, Charlie193 said:

... I mainly wanted to make sure I wasn’t being added to the trail maintenance crew’s list of people to be drowned in the creek.

I have wanted to down them in the mud puddles they made 😉

I appreciated you taking the time to walk the trails and let people know about the conditions. You were NOT one of the folks I wanted to drown.

5 hours ago, cxagent said:

I have wanted to down them in the mud puddles they made 😉

Might be worth considering as a deterrent instead of signage. It would provide a strong incentive not to ride muddy trails, if it rained everything you’d need would be right there, and there would be no repeat offenders.

I rode the path today and ended up checking out powerline flow, chardog, and log loops. All good to go. Was skeptical about log loop but whatever improvements were recently done took care of the areas that used to hold onto water forever. Great job [emoji106]

• Albert changed the title to Walnut Creek Trail Conditions