IGNORED

SATN riders - No Loitering behind ATX bikes?

A buddy and I headed South today and rode the awesome trail system that is SATN. We finished the ride around 9pm and pulled out our chairs to chat for a few minutes. No beer was consumed (which was a first) and we were parked directly behind ATX bikes away from the medical place. A security guard in a little white truck rolled up on us and told us we had to leave. He wasn’t a total dick but he said unless you work or shop at one of the stores, the property manager didn’t want anyone hanging around.

We were getting ready to bail any way so it was not a big deal but he might go full mall cop if he’s around at the next Crank and Drank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To be fair, at every CnD I have attended, y'all stand around blocking the driveway like a bunch of dickheads while several cars drive up, stop, then reverse direction so they can leave. If you have a little respect for other people (like the people whose back yards and golf courses you ride through instead of taking the alternative route that is also trail) maybe stuff like this would not happen.

Can CnD riders start congregating at the spillway behind Alamo Drafthouse or in the parking lot just west of ATX Bikes?

20190712_075215.jpg

Edited by mack_turtle

The security dude rolled through all the parking lots including the one West of ATX bikes. That being said, if the property owner doesn’t want people hanging out in their lot, I don’t have a problem with that. I’m just pointing this out because a confrontation with a bunch of mountain bikers and a security guard has very little chance of making the mtb community look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a security car roll through there. I also have never seen a car back-up after seeing the group either. Maybe I'm blindish.

I would have said to the security guy that I was shopping at ATX Bikes earlier and the guys said it would be fine for us to sit here after our ride. But then say, "cool" and pack up and leave and would get hold of ATX the next day. Since ATX has frequently set up their tent to encourage us hanging out after a CnD, then I would bet they might put a call in to the security to say leave their customers alone please.

Orrrrr, to paraphrase our north Austin brethren, (sigh) The CnD is dead. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

I also have never seen a car back-up after seeing the group either. Maybe I'm blindish.

It happens every week I am there, multiple times each night. Every time, the drivers look PISSED. For some reason, I pay attention to these things. The first few times I saw it, I yelled to get riders out of the middle of the driveway but I am usually ignored. I've stopped trying.

Edited by mack_turtle

Totally agree that the fight here is not with the security guard and all the riders back there were cool to him.  I pointed out that we were purposefully sitting behind ATX bikes that sponsors a ride every week out of that very parking lot but he was in no mood.  Apparently he had just come back from vacation and had never seen any 'sponsored ride' so he wasn't having it.  He did shine a weak-ass LED flashlight at us like you see on TV.  I propose that we all pitch in and buy him a better damn flashlight with an ATX Bikes sticker or something on it.  

I've hit CnD a couple of times and never seen any problems with other drivers in the parking lot.  However, I do recognize that while it's behind the strip center, it is a good way to get from Alamo to Slaughter going West so there is more traffic there than one would normally expect.  It seems that almost everyone makes it a point to set up out of the main line of traffic so it never seemed like an issue.  Obviously, I missed those U turn encounters.

Simple solution. I called ATX Bikes and told them about this thread and this problem. They called their property manager. The property manager didn't know about it. They said they would contact the security company and tell them that anybody with a mountain bike is welcome to use the parking lot behind ATX "as a clubhouse" if they want to. They did remind us to respect the Austin Diagnostic Clinic's parking lot and not park there. I think we MTBers have been doing pretty good with that.

Crank and Drank lives!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1