IGNORED

New biker help please

Brand new to biking. Just bought a 2013 Kaskar 9r comp today want to ride tomorrow if possible. I found out about the freeride512 guys is that still open? And if so am I able to buy the membership and ride tomorrow?

Edit: thank you for everyones advice. I went and rode with a Meetup at Walnut Creek. Had a ton of fun. Gonna stick to the easier stuff for a while until I learn the ropes. Thanks so much. Hope to see y'all out there. 

Edited by Ldavis16

That might be a GT Zaskar. And I hope you also bought yourself a helmet.

You might want to meet up with someone who knows the beginner trails in your local area first, and get use to the bike and how it handles on the trail.

The one thing you don't want to do is head out to harder trails and perhaps injure yourself right at the very beginning of your riding experience. Which is not uncommon, unfortunately.

One of the cool things about trail riding is all the different types of terrain you can encounter. But... It takes time to learn how to ride it all safely. And enjoy it.

What area in Austin are you located?

• Thanks 1

Sorry zaskar and absolutely I want to meet up with someone first. The freeride512 seems like it was a bit more group oriented. I just moved here Monday and don't know anyone yet. Figured I'd get into mtb. Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions where I can get to know my bike. Gonna buy a helmet tomorrow morning. I'm fairly athletic and comfortable with scary things, so I'm trying to find somewhere with some sort of thrill rather than just flat land. Thank you for.your reply!

14 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

That might be a GT Zaskar. And I hope you also bought yourself a helmet.

You might want to meet up with someone who knows the beginner trails in your local area first, and get use to the bike and how it handles on the trail.

The one thing you don't want to do is head out to harder trails and perhaps injure yourself right at the very beginning of your riding experience. Which is not uncommon, unfortunately.

One of the cool things about trail riding is all the different types of terrain you can encounter. But... It takes time to learn how to ride it all safely. And enjoy it.

What area in Austin are you located?

Also downtown Austin sorry. Whitley apartments

Walnut Creek is my suggestion for a new rider in north Austin. The SATN (South Austin Trail Network) for new riders in south Austin. Peddler's Pass in far north Austin (Brushy Creek / Cedar Park)

There are maps for Walnut Creek (search this board for my user name) but there are no maps for SATN. For SATN talk to ATX Bikes on Slaughter Lane about where to ride. Either way you will get lost. Enjoy getting lost and exploring. It is part of the MTB experience. Riding with someone who knows the trails is about the only way to not get lost While you learn the trails. Next best is to keep your phone with you and use a/the mapping program. Google Maps will show you where you are in a trail system so you can navigate your way out. MTBProject or TrailForks is even better because it shows you the trail, not just where you are near a road.

You scare me saying you don't / didn't have a helmet but you want to go to FreeRide 512. This like saying you want to learn to drive a car in an Formula One race car. Maybe you will survive. But I bet it will go badly. And I doubt it will be fun. Start small / easy and work up from there. Develop skills before your life/health depends on those skills. Protective gear (helmet, gloves, pads, etc) will help with the learning curve.

1 minute ago, cxagent said:

Walnut Creek is my suggestion for a new rider in north Austin. The SATN (South Austin Trail Network) for new riders in south Austin. Peddler's Pass in far north Austin (Brushy Creek / Cedar Park)

There are maps for Walnut Creek (search this board for my user name) but there are no maps for SATN. For SATN talk to ATX Bikes on Slaughter Lane about where to ride. Either way you will get lost. Enjoy getting lost and exploring. It is part of the MTB experience. Riding with someone who knows the trails is about the only way to not get lost While you learn the trails. Next best is to keep your phone with you and use a/the mapping program. Google Maps will show you where you are in a trail system so you can navigate your way out. MTBProject or TrailForks is even better because it shows you the trail, not just where you are near a road.

You scare me saying you don't / didn't have a helmet but you want to go to FreeRide 512. This like saying you want to learn to drive a car in an Formula One race car. Maybe you will survive. But I bet it will go badly. And I doubt it will be fun. Start small / easy and work up from there. Develop skills before your life/health depends on those skills. Protective gear (helmet, gloves, pads, etc) will help with the learning curve.

Went and got a helmet this morning. I'll pick up some gloves to thank you. Only reason I said freeride is because they had a beginner session. Going to the Walnut Creek beginners session tomorrow if my bike is done with it's tune-up by then. Thank you for your response!

I'll strongly encourage safety glasses too.

I have cracked three helmets, so I preach all the time to ALWAYS wear one. I won't ride to the mailbox without a helmet. But I think you have already got that message.

But now I have to preach about safety glasses. I know they have saved me on multiple occasions but this past Thursday they REALLY saved me big time. I was hit in my glasses with a small sharp stick. It knocked my glasses off my head and then scratched my forehead. It would have been a serious injury without those glasses on.

• Like 1

Bike that fits and works. Brakes, shifting, suspension, etc.

Helmet that fits comfortably. Try a few on. Ventilation is important. A $50 helmet will be just fine.

Some method of carrying water. Lots of water, actually, because the heat will zap it out of you fast.

Glasses to keep bugs and stuff out of your eyeballs. The $5 ones from Harbor Freight are just fine if you don't need RX lenses. Clear or lightly tinted lenses for riding in the woods.

Comfy athletic clothes. Avoid cotton. Cycling shorts are a good idea for longer rides to protect your taint.

Gloves. Never expensive but hardware store work gloves (like Mechanic) can work. You will fall and use your hands to stop yourself at some point.

Multi-tool, spare tube, portable pump.

Walnut is a great place to start. Roy Guerro Park has a little trails. Slaughter Creek Nature Preserve in South Austin a great because it's not terribly difficult and it's impossible to get lost as it's a one-way loop.

Tuesday nights at 6:00 behind ATX Bikes on Slaughter is Crank n Drank, weather permitting. It's a great ride for all abilities. SATN is very difficult to navigate on your own.

I don't know a lot about Freeride512, but you need to look up what "freeride" is first. That might be a bit advanced for you even at the beginner level.

Let me know if you want to explore SATN or need mechanical help with the bike.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:22 PM, Ldavis16 said:

Also downtown Austin sorry. Whitley apartments

your closest best trail is ride the hike and bike to zilker then take the barton creek greenbelt main trail. No elevation gain, but some technical features. Over time you can learn to ride the side trails.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:35 PM, crazyt said:

your closest best trail is ride the hike and bike to zilker then take the barton creek greenbelt main trail. No elevation gain, but some technical features. Over time you can learn to ride the side trails.

Yeah, if you're downtown, just start riding the hike and bike trail alot to get comfortable on the bike. then you can venture into zilker park past barton springs and enter the barton creek greenbelt (bcgb). its where i learned how to ride. just very busy on the weekends. Give yourself a few months on the bike before joining Freeride.

Have Fun!

New to mountain biking as well and I appreciate all the responses and information provided. Thanks!

Have been riding around the streets to get an understanding of my bike but look forward to getting out on the trails soon.

Edited by Israel
  • Like 3