IGNORED

New Trail at Reimer's Ranch

I have held off telling people about this new trail - until now. It is starting to come together and we will need volunteers soon. So here it is.

In 2017, Travis County hired a landscape architect to survey and design some new trails at Reimer's Ranch. Our very own MTB trail builder, rider and instructor Jake Carston helped with the design work.  The attached PDF file shows the overview of that trail design. The design sat on the shelf for a while. ARR got a grant from REI to start building those trails. That process has now started.

We will be building two of the 5 trails shown - marked I1 (Intermediate 1) and Return. These are intended to be Flow Trails. There is not enough elevation to call them Downhill Trails but there is enough to get a good flow without a lot of peddling. We have surveyed the planned trails and picked the I1 trail as the one we want to build first. It has great topology for fun and interesting trail.

We have met with Travis County (land manager), REI (funding source) and KOM Trails. We want this trail open for Cranksgiving so we want to get KOM to do the biggest part of the flow trail. ARR will be building the return trail (how you get back up hill). This looks like it will come together and be ready in November.

To have it ready in time, ARR will need volunteers to build the return trail. Work days will start in September to avoid the summer heat. Racers can plan on getting their PayDirt hours early this year. Keep an eye out for work day calls and come help build our new MTB trail! And make sure you thank Travis County, REI, KOM, and ARR for making it happen.

2017-03-31_Reimers Flow Trails.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, cxagent said:

Work days will start in September to avoid the summer heat.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but summer heat usually lasts until late Oct.  That said, I'm interested in volunteering. Is the route already flagged?

Is there any way we could get a variance to camp overnight on work weekends (or possibly weekdays)? 

Thumbs up for Cranksgiving at Reimers!  

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I rode Reimer's last Sunday after driving all the way out to Flat Creek Crossing only to realize the place is closed for the time being...  I remembered seeing a thread here about some new trail to be built at Reimer's but I couldn't remember any of the details.  I kept looking for signs of new trail off the existing stuff, but didn't see anything.  Now that I look at the map, it looks like all the new stuff will originate closer to the entry gate.  Will the proposed new trails connect with the existing trails? 

Also, any update on when the new stuff will be complete?  (Or started...?)

• Like 2

The build has not started yet. We are fighting like crazy to get the paperwork in place to build these trails. The lawyers got involved so what should have been easy has become a nightmare.

The new trail will not "join" to the existing trail. But you will be able to join them by riding across the road near the maintenance building.  If you look at the north end of the map of the new trail, you can see the maintenance building marked. If you look closely at the very north edge of the map- you can see the exiting mountain bike trail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I did it backwards once.  Pedernales was full so we rode FC.  We're lucky to have such nice choices!

Yes,  with as much as people complain at times, we are spoiled.

I am in New Orleans this week and there are really no real trails to speak of. Lots of urban options, but when it comes to dirt (and elevation), nothing to speak of.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

FYI, if Flat Creek is closed, just ride Perdernales Falls. Its right next door and has about 30 miles of trails.

We were actually headed towards Pedernales Falls, but decided to hit Reimer's instead.  Neither of us has ever ridden at PF and we also knew there was a chance it might be full so we didn't want to risk striking out again since it was getting sorta late at that point.

Very frustrated to find that Flat Creek was closed - especially since we couldn't find anything online (website, FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc) indicating that it was closed.  The posted signs seem to indicate it will be closed for a while...

4 hours ago, olddbrider said:

Very frustrated to find that Flat Creek was closed - especially since we couldn't find anything online (website, FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc) indicating that it was closed.  The posted signs seem to indicate it will be closed for a while...

I think you can thank whichever stupid little c*nt it was that sneaked in to Flat Creek without paying or signing in, then crashed badly enough to need medical attention, for the closure.

I thought it was supposed to be reopening soon though, Fri-Sun only? There’s a post about it on the Austin Mountain Biking group on FB.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

I think you can thank whichever stupid little c*nt it was that sneaked in to Flat Creek without paying or signing in, then crashed badly enough to need medical attention, for the closure.

I thought it was supposed to be reopening soon though, Fri-Sun only? There’s a post about it on the Austin Mountain Biking group on FB.

095D4B75-95A5-404D-9D80-C02703591FDC.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1