IGNORED

New Trail at Reimer's Ranch

7 minutes ago, cxagent said:

It was my mistake to think they were already open. 

Forgiven!

"Ready" and "Open" apparently are two different things.

But this whole area is such a win we wouldn't want to aggravate the powers that be by pushing this and jeopardizing it.

Thanks for the report.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, LG_SC5010 said:

Any updates to when this trail will be “open”? Saw on the ARR website that Reimer’s is home to ARR’s newest flow trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See my post on April 27, 2020. (Since lawyers are involved I think I better state the year.) I would not expect anything happening quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

Reimers is officially open.

"Travis County Parks has opened the new Reimers Ranch Flow Trails to public use, as of this afternoon.   Bikers who use the Flow Trails should park in the regular Mountain Biking Parking Lot and bike over to the Flow Trails."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 8

13 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Reimers is officially open.

"Travis County Parks has opened the new Reimers Ranch Flow Trails to public use, as of this afternoon.   Bikers who use the Flow Trails should park in the regular Mountain Biking Parking Lot and bike over to the Flow Trails."

thanks for the update! can't wait to try it out.

Is it just the one new flow trail out there?  I know there was a master plan with multiple trails in that area, but I wasn't sure what actually ended up being built.
Just one for now. They are working through ARR
Which is funding off grant money. Hopefully more coming

From what I recall from the map that someone posted, the trailhead is near where the road takes a sharp left turn just after the guard shack. 
Where are these trails at Reimers- looked for them last week, just to see of course.

Yes trail head is up in that area. Not sure what kind of signs exist as i haven't been out to see. But i do know they want people to park in the usual parking spot and pedal to it.

After parking at the main lot, would it be best to ride up the road past the maintenance building and then try to find the bottom of the return trail? It also looks like you could ride some of the existing trail and hop across the service road somewhere past the maintenance building.  I can't imagine they would want people riding back up the main park road. Right?

46 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

After parking at the main lot, would it be best to ride up the road past the maintenance building and then try to find the bottom of the return trail? It also looks like you could ride some of the existing trail and hop across the service road somewhere past the maintenance building.  I can't imagine they would want people riding back up the main park road. Right?

Look at Mack Turtle's screen shot. Leave the parking lot and ride the trail that parallels the paved road. I think if you make all right turns you can't miss it.  The signed entrance to "The Flow Trails area" is about 75 yards up the jeep road (that you shouldn't ever ride) from the maintenance buildings.

Edited by The Tip

8 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

I would ride the normal trail and cut over for a few laps on the Flow Trail. Here is my recommendation for finding and riding the new trail - 

Park in the Mountain Bike Parking Lot - not anywhere along the road or near the Maintenance Building (that road has a sign saying "Authorized Access Only" or something like that). Ride the 'normal loop'  until you are ride the 'Camron Park Vortex' like section. Start looking to your right. You will see a big while metal building with a small parking lot and a horizontal white water tank. That is the Maintenance Building. (Don't go near the Maintenance Building or bother the staff that may be there.) Between where you can first see the Maintenance Building and the barb wire fence, find a place to turn south toward the Maintenance Building. Depending where you turn right, you will find a paved road (turned early) or a dirt road (turned late). Take that road to the east (the general direction your were going on the Mountain Bike Trail).

As you follow that road it will fork just east of the water tank (couple hundred feet?). Take the right fork and start looking to your right for the trail that takes you to the start of the return trail. From the fork in the road to the trail is about 100 - 150 feet. Climb up that small hill from the road and follow what should be a well beaten in new trail. In about a 1/4 mile you will find a T in the trail. To the right is the end of the Flow Trail - don't go that way. There are Do Not Enter / Wrong Way signs.

The Flow Trail is ONE WAY down hill to prevent head on collisions. To the left is the Return Trail. Take the trail to the left. You will climb a slow easy approx one mile Return Trail. There is another T at the top of the Return Trail. The left of the T will go to the Flow Trail Parking Lot when it is built. Don't go left. The Flow Trail is to the right. It should be well marked and getting beaten in so it is easy to follow.

Everything is tame enough for most mountain bikers to ride over. But I suggest you take a 'warm up / spotting lap' before you send it. There are some surprises. Jumps that turn up the face. Gaps that will surprise you. Once you see it - I think everyone will be fine with it. But if somebody sends it before that scope it out - I know which rocks you will end up on.

Let me remind everyone that Travis County, being a normal risk adverse government agency, is concerned that people will get hurt on the Flow Trail. It has taken a lot of hand holding and reassurance that 'the public' is responsible for themselves and can take care of themselves. I can already hear about how 'the trail was so dangerous that it had to be closed' if people start getting hurt. A warm up /spotting lap is not that big a request before you send it.

If you want to ride the Flow Trail and only the Flow Trail - 

Park in the Mountain Bike Parking Lot. Follow the road back out like you were leaving the park. Just past the horse stable / horse trailer parking, start looking for a paved road to the left. There is a sign saying "Authorized Access Only" or something like that on the road you are looking for. Take that paved road to the left. Follow it past the Maintenance Building and the water tank. Follow the directions above.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Yes trail head is up in that area. Not sure what kind of signs exist as i haven't been out to see. But i do know they want people to park in the usual parking spot and pedal to it.

There were several (4 or 5) Flow Trails planned. ARR and KOM were stretched tight to get one flow trail built and open. There are plans to build a parking lot at the top of the Flow Trails. Travis County will have to build the parking lot. It is not in the current Travis County budget. A parking lot may not happen for years, it at all.

In order to get the trail open as soon as possible - temporary signs were installed. I don't know how those signs have faired since I have not been there in months. The Return Trail and Flow Trail were beat in pretty good and the signs were up and readable the last time I was there. Travis County has put up some 'used road signs" (One Way, Do Not Enter, etc.). They seem to have a source for those ARR does not 😉

I hope that people will use and enjoy these trails and not get hurt. If you like them, please tell the park staff. Good feedback will help get more trails opened. Like maybe more of the flow trails that are already planned for Reimer's Ranch.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 2

I went out to ride it this morning. I took pictures of all the new signage. Some of the old temporary ones are still up too. Also pictures of each feature. I comment on each picture.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3634844619

It's interesting that Return trail is pretty beat in. You won't get lost. Interesting that Return looks pretty good because the Flow Trail itself is looking kind of shabby with vegetation growing on it. I'm sure that will change quickly though. 

I am compelled to give another warning. Please take a slow first run to look at the features. Then take Milton's Shortcut to Return and do a fast run your second time.

28 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Well poop. It's set to "everyone" can see. Disappointing.

I posted a ride yesterday too. Can you see the pictures on that ride? Maybe there are too many pictures on the one I just posted.

I follow you on Strava and can see the pictures.  Maybe that's what's needed for others to see.