IGNORED

What's one thing you carry in your pack that not everyone carries, but maybe they should?

notyal

For me it's teflon tape. I have used it trailside to fix leaky valve stems and loose bolts. It's lightweight and doesn't take up much space. 

If you have a leaky valve stem, wedge some tape between the rim and that little nut. I also use it in addition to the little rubber part inside the rim. I've frequently had trouble with that interface between the valve and the hole in the rim. Several wraps of teflon over that rubber seems to always do the trick. 

I fixed a bolt on a seatpost that kept backing out and tilting the saddle to unridable angles by wrapping a few layers of tape around the threads. Probably a good idea to replace with Locktite when you get home, but on the trail, it's easier than carrying a tube of Locktite. 

Alternatively, what is one thing you have had in there for years and never use?

• Like 1

I was once having a sketchy SRAM X9 that I thought was going to give out on me. But I was so cheap that I was hesitant to put the replacement on as I had once sheared off a 2 hour old derailleur so I was waiting this one out (for several months). I tossed the replacement X9 in my pack and forgot about it. 

Fast forward several months and someone takes out their derailleur on a rock on the greenbelt, at about the furthest point out on the trail. Laughingly they say, "hey, does anyone have a spare derailleur...?"

Cue up the sound of my camelbak unzipping.

As for practical stuff, I always keep about a dozen zip ties in my pack. Different lengths. And electrical tape, wrapped around my pump. I also keep a shock pump most of the time, I really shouldn't but it has saved several people over the years.

• Like 1

I carry not only a quick link or two, but also a small section (about 3-5 links) of 11 speed chain. sometimes when you break/damage a chain, you loose multiple links (bent or whatever) thus loose low end gears for the rest of the ride. I keep a small section of chain to patch the damaged one if needed

• Like 1

I have a bandana that is the last thing I shove into my seat bag.  Its primary use if to take up the additional space to prevent rattling.  However, I've used it on MULTIPLE occasions for injuries out on the trail.  Luckily for me, they've been 'other people's' injuries.  But I had a riding buddy nearly sever off the tip of his finger via a disc rotor during a spectacular crash.  My trusty bandana saved they day (and his finger)!  

-CJB

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CBaron said:

I have a bandana that is the last thing I shove into my seat bag.  Its primary use if to take up the additional space to prevent rattling.  However, I've used it on MULTIPLE occasions for injuries out on the trail.  Luckily for me, they've been 'other people's' injuries.  But I had a riding buddy nearly sever off the tip of his finger via a disc rotor during a spectacular crash.  My trusty bandana saved they day (and his finger)!  

-CJB

If clean and dry, could also be used to wipe goggles / glasses. This time of year there is never a dry spot on my shirt to accomplish that task, and I end up riding with obscured vision. I need to start carrying some sort of cloth for that purpose, and potentially other purposes as noted. 

21 minutes ago, throet said:

If clean and dry, could also be used to wipe goggles / glasses. This time of year there is never a dry spot on my shirt to accomplish that task, and I end up riding with obscured vision. I need to start carrying some sort of cloth for that purpose, and potentially other purposes as noted. 

For that, in my left jersey pocket, I carry a medium sized heavy duty zip bag.  It contains money, ibuprofen, ID, my phone, and....a small oakley sunglass bag that I use to wipe my glasses.

-CJB

• Like 1

Man, this thread is going to make my CamelBak even heavier.  

2 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

A first aid kit, with tweezers for cacti thorns.

and ....

TP

BETTER TO HAVE AND NOT NEED THAN TO NEED AND NOT HAVE

I now always have TP in my pack, after really having to go sometime after City Park during the Enchilada Buffet.  😄 I also have a small first aid kit, don't know if there are tweezers in it, though!  I'll have to look, as more than once have I managed to stab myself with cacti thorns.  At Lake Georgetown and Pace Bend.  

44 minutes ago, throet said:

When I'm doing a long ride, I usually have a small washcloth in my CamelBak.  It's good for rinsing and wiping off my glasses, but I often use it to wipe off my face and arms (with water from a water fountain or other source) and reapply sunscreen after ~3 or 4 hours.  

I was going to empty my pack last week and start a, "What's in your pack?" thread.  I'll have to follow through on that.  I have too much in my pack and it's heavy, but I've used just about everything in my pack at one point or another.  Things tend to get added to the pack after something happens on a ride and it would have been extraordinarily helpful to have that item.  I even have a tiny vice grip that Spicewookie gave me eons ago, and that's been a handy tool to have in some situations. 😄

..Al

2 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

I may add, always include along with the TP a waterproof vessel in which to contain it. Rain, or otherwise soaked TP (even if by then dried) is not nearly as useful as the variety which has remained dry since purchase. :classic_ohmy:

Yep, mine is in a zip-lock bag!

I carry a couple of paper towels. These could sub for TP, but I've never had to. But I have used the paper towels more than once to stop bleeding. 

I also carry a square of mesh that I got from a tent. I use it when the gnats get so thick I can't breath without inhaling them.  It has little hooks on it. Think surgical mask, but easier to breath through.

I keep a piece of cut wire hanger. It is about 6 inches long and bent on each end at 90 degrees. This is because it is a PITA to hold a broken chain and fix at the saame time. Just drop the hanger piece in and let it hold each end of the chain while I repair it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've broken two rear derailleur hangers over the years.  First time was at Lake Georgetown, and I was close to Russell and parked at Cedar Breaks when that happened.  Fortunately a park ranger was sitting in his pickup truck at the parking lot there and offered to give me a ride back to Cedar Breaks!  After that I started carrying a spare derailleur hanger.  

Then a few years later I broke my rear derailleur hanger again, this time in Colorado.  However, I could not loosen the bolt holding the broken derailleur hanger in place.  Thankfully we were near the end of our ride and had already done the bulk of our climbing and descending.  So we turned the bike into a single speed and limped back into town the remaining several miles. Brought the bike to a shop and even they were finding it impossible to get the bolt removed.  They even had the damn frame in a bench vise!  After some 30 minutes of trying they finally got the damn bolt loose and replaced the hanger.  Which is good, since we still had additional days in our trip!

More recently, as in a month ago, I was riding with AustinBike at Barton Creek Greenbelt.  As we were ascending the rocky, technical climb on Jedi before reaching the top of Mulch Hill, all resistance suddenly gave way as I was conquering a large rock.  My chain and rear derailleur got sucked into my rear wheel.  At first I thought the hanger had snapped, but it turns out the bolt holding the hanger worked its way out.  We reattached the derailleur, but the screw was stripped, so it could not be tightened.  Also, the rear derailleur was bent pretty badly, and I could only use a few gears.  We descended along the (newish?) singletrack along Mulch Hill and then rode back to 360 on the main trail at a slower pace than normal as I didn't want to put too much pressure on my drive train.  We were near the end of our ride anyway.  Did make it back, then brought the bike to the shop to get them to replace the rear derailleur and give the bike a needed tuneup.  And I bought another rear derailleur hanger since I didn't have one on me, much to my surprise. 

..Al

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

I've broken two rear derailleur hangers over the years.  First time was at Lake Georgetown, and I was close to Russell and parked at Cedar Breaks when that happened.  Fortunately a park ranger was sitting in his pickup truck at the parking lot there and offered to give me a ride back to Cedar Breaks!  After that I started carrying a spare derailleur hanger.  

Then a few years later I broke my rear derailleur hanger again, this time in Colorado.  However, I could not loosen the bolt holding the broken derailleur hanger in place.  Thankfully we were near the end of our ride and had already done the bulk of our climbing and descending.  So we turned the bike into a single speed and limped back into town the remaining several miles. Brought the bike to a shop and even they were finding it impossible to get the bolt removed.  They even had the damn frame in a bench vise!  After some 30 minutes of trying they finally got the damn bolt loose and replaced the hanger.  Which is good, since we still had additional days in our trip!

More recently, as in a month ago, I was riding with AustinBike at Barton Creek Greenbelt.  As we were ascending the rocky, technical climb on Jedi before reaching the top of Mulch Hill, all resistance suddenly gave way as I was conquering a large rock.  My chain and rear derailleur got sucked into my rear wheel.  At first I thought the hanger had snapped, but it turns out the bolt holding the hanger worked its way out.  We reattached the derailleur, but the screw was stripped, so it could not be tightened.  Also, the rear derailleur was bent pretty badly, and I could only use a few gears.  We descended along the (newish?) singletrack along Mulch Hill and then rode back to 360 on the main trail at a slower pace than normal as I didn't want to put too much pressure on my drive train.  We were near the end of our ride anyway.  Did make it back, then brought the bike to the shop to get them to replace the rear derailleur and give the bike a needed tuneup.  And I bought another rear derailleur hanger since I didn't have one on me, much to my surprise. 

..Al

If you rode a single speed, there would be no need for this lengthy post.

Instead of TP I carry 5-6 baby wipes in a zippie bag, useful as intended and also cleans your hands if you have to jack w/greasy chain. I usually have a 5er in my pack for emergency convenience store stops and it makes a great tire boot if I don’t have a cliff bar wrapper. Ditto on the zip ties and a length of duct tape wrapped around an old golf pencil. NUUN tabs, I’ve given them to others on several occasions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk