IGNORED

What's one thing you carry in your pack that not everyone carries, but maybe they should?

notyal

Cody beat me to it. Bandanna around the handlebars and my phone. Lock of fur in a ziplock baggie from my old dog Nia. She still rides everywhere with me and I don't even have to tie her to my bumper anymore! Santana!

Edited by Bamwa
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Albert said:

More recently, as in a month ago, I was riding with AustinBike at Barton Creek Greenbelt.  As we were ascending the rocky, technical climb on Jedi before reaching the top of Mulch Hill, all resistance suddenly gave way as I was conquering a large rock.  My chain and rear derailleur got sucked into my rear wheel.  At first I thought the hanger had snapped, but it turns out the bolt holding the hanger worked its way out.  We reattached the derailleur, but the screw was stripped, so it could not be tightened.  Also, the rear derailleur was bent pretty badly, and I could only use a few gears.  We descended along the (newish?) singletrack along Mulch Hill and then rode back to 360 on the main trail at a slower pace than normal as I didn't want to put too much pressure on my drive train.  We were near the end of our ride anyway.  Did make it back, then brought the bike to the shop to get them to replace the rear derailleur and give the bike a needed tuneup.  And I bought another rear derailleur hanger since I didn't have one on me, much to my surprise. 

..Al

A few wraps of teflon tape might have helped to hold that stripped bolt in while you limped home.

Along with normal Tools (I need to start carrying frame pump and less C02)

Ziptie

Shifter cable

Mustard

Spare Der. hanger

Chain links

Dynaplugs

Spare stan's valve

Van Holtens "Pickle in a pouch" for big hard rides 

Solo rides I am more likely to have fiskar folding Ti  loppers and other weird stuff. 

3 hours ago, FJsnoozer said:

Along with normal Tools (I need to start carrying frame pump and less C02)

Mustard

Solo rides I am more likely to have fiskar folding Ti  loppers and other weird stuff. 

Okay, I just have to ask about the Mustard.

And, the folding Ti loppers, which I can't seem to find on Fiskars site. I do find a Gerber folding lopper, but it isn't Ti, nor does it have the gearing that Fiskars loppers use to amplify the force.

As a confirmed lopperist, the 15" Fiskars carried with a handle slid into my pack's waist belt while riding has been the go-to for many years. A folding Titanium lopper sounds pretty kewl, especially if made by Fiskars.

Edited by Ridenfool

Mustard will stop Cramping just like Pickle Juice.  

Here are the loppers: 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-15-in-PowerGear-Titanium-Anvil-Lopper-379722-1001/202589054

Edit: apparently the Ti is just the coating on the blade exclusive to the ones sold at Home depot that prevents sap gumming and rust.   So basicly its the "XX1" of fiskar loppers, 

Edited by FJsnoozer
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

So, what you're saying is that when your legs will no longer cut the mustard and this puts you in a pickle ... you cut the mustard open?

When I find myself in a pickle without a pickle, the mustard will get this corn dog going so I can stick it out til the end. 

• Like 1

I always carry a folding saw- never know when I need to do some trail cleanup to remove low hanging or a tree thats fallen over onto the trail.

I highly recomend the banjo brothers phone wallet.  Water Resistant and has little pockets where I keep $10 and a Hanger.  Need to pick up some chain links again.

I carry a spare BOA ratchet for my shoes, spare UST valve stem, and a cassette lockring tool. I was once on a ride and my shifting was way out of wack and making crazy noises. It turned out that somehow I hadn't tightened my cassette enough and it had back out so much that it was starting to slide around on the hub. Luckily someone had one in the parking lot and I was able to restart the ride. It's a relatively heavy tool to carry along, but I'll probably never leave home without it now.